C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Mandrel-bent exhaust systems

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 11:59 AM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Mandrel-bent exhaust systems

Anyone know who makes mandrel-bent 2 1/2" exhaust pipes for the C2?

I don't need stainless steel - aluminized is fine. I just want to replace the stock replacement 2 1/2" pipes which are not mandrel bent - the squashed bends and ovalized cross section of these pipes hurt the performance too much IMO. (I only need the pipes from the trans cross member to the mufflers, but don't want custom pipes which won't be compatible with a stock system.)

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2010, 01:11 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,183 Likes on 489 Posts

Best bet is to go into a muffler shop and tell them what you want. They may be even able to just cut the old bends out and weld in mandral bent pieces saving you a ton of $$$.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:23 PM
rengawdor
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The pipes on my 60 are from Allen's and are mandrel bent.
Rod
Old 12-02-2010, 01:27 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

CCentrals are mandrel bent. I am running the N-11 welded system
Old 12-02-2010, 02:48 PM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Just searched CC's website and found that they're all push bent, not mandrel bent in which a circular cross section is maintained. I called them also and they confirmed that they're all push bent, not mandrel bent.

I do know that Stainless Works sells the mandrel bent pipes, but looking for other vendors. Will call Allen's next.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:01 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by larrywalk
Just searched CC's website and found that they're all push bent, not mandrel bent in which a circular cross section is maintained. I called them also and they confirmed that they're all push bent, not mandrel bent.

I do know that Stainless Works sells the mandrel bent pipes, but looking for other vendors. Will call Allen's next.
The guys in New Jersey. They make muscle car exhaust systems as original right down to the last wrinkle. They started making Corvette exhaust a year or so ago.

Their name escapes me at the moment. I have one of their systems on a '70 BB Nova and it fit and looked perfect.

I just remembered: http://www.gardnerexhaust.com/
Old 12-02-2010, 03:24 PM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MikeM
The guys in New Jersey. They make muscle car exhaust systems as original right down to the last wrinkle. They started making Corvette exhaust a year or so ago.

Their name escapes me at the moment. I have one of their systems on a '70 BB Nova and it fit and looked perfect.

I just remembered: http://www.gardnerexhaust.com/
Thanks Mike, I'll call them next. Just talked to Allen's - they don't do mandrel-bent either... For now, Stainless Works is the only one.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:29 PM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Gardner exhaust doesn't do mandrel bent either, but they sounded very interested and helpful for those wanting a correct system.

Last edited by larrywalk; 12-02-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:11 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Gardner exhaust doesn't do mandrel bent either, but they sounded very interested and helpful for those wanting a correct system.
My mistake. I read your post too fast. I was thinking you wanted the pipes with the wrinkles in the inside radius of the bends instead of stretching the pipe in the outside radius and squeezing the diameter of the pipe.

The Gardener exhaust is made like original OEM. Not like typical muffler shops.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:46 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

My mistake. Are mandrel bent tubes, where they fill the pipe with sand and cap it? Then they bend and no wrinkles occur?

PS.I do like the way CCentrals are oval in certain sections for increased ground clearance.

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 12-02-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:19 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,183 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sttexan
My mistake. Are mandrel bent tubes, where they fill the pipe with sand and cap it? Then they bend and no wrinkles occur?
No, they put a mandrel inside prior to bending, then remove it afterwards. The mandrel keeps the pipe from collapsing/wrinkling at the bend.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:40 PM
NOM61
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sttexan

PS.I do like the way CCentrals are oval in certain sections for increased ground clearance.
They use something like this:

http://www.muffler-tech.com/ntop.gif

DT
Old 12-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Chambered
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 84 Posts

I wouldn't worry about a good muffler shop compression bend. If you are using 2.5" pipes, you will not lose much flow vs. mandrel-bent. 99.999% of muffler shops CANNOT do mandrel bends because nobody has the equipment. What are you going to lose with compression bends - 3 HP? I wouldn't worry about it.

Get notified of new replies

To Mandrel-bent exhaust systems

Quick Reply: Mandrel-bent exhaust systems