C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Accel 77110 DFI dual sync distributor in a ZZ4

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 10:17 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Accel 77110 DFI dual sync distributor in a ZZ4

i am going to swap my Accel Thruster DFI 'modernized' Rochester FI and its Accel 77110 dual sync distributor from my stock 1970 350 LT1 sbc to a new ZZ4 crate sbc engine with the stock GM roller camshaft.

is the gear on the Accel dual sync distributor compatible with the ZZ4 cam (i'm not sure what is stock gear composition on the Accel distributor) or will i have to change the gear? if it is not compatible, will the GM melonized gear fit or what should i use; from looking at the ACCEL website i get the impression that ACCEL only has an steel or a bronze gear as possible different options...)

http://go.mrgasket.com/pdf/DFIDistributorsCamshafts.pdf

Bill
Old 12-06-2010, 11:41 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I can't answer youyr question specifically, but I do know that a GM Mellonized gear will NOT fit the Accel dizzy shaft as is. I believe the Mellonized gear can be bored larger to fit the Accel shaft. IIRC, Accel shaft is .5" OD,and GM gear is .450" or something

Before I went to that trouble, I called Comp cams and gave them my cam SN and they said my cam had a cast iron gear pressed onto the steel billet roller cam so i didn't have to worry about it.

Doug
Old 12-06-2010, 12:32 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by AZDoug
I can't answer youyr question specifically, but I do know that a GM Mellonized gear will NOT fit the Accel dizzy shaft as is. I believe the Mellonized gear can be bored larger to fit the Accel shaft. IIRC, Accel shaft is .5" OD,and GM gear is .450" or something

Before I went to that trouble, I called Comp cams and gave them my cam SN and they said my cam had a cast iron gear pressed onto the steel billet roller cam so i didn't have to worry about it.

Doug
Doug
the ZZ4 crate engine came with all sorts of things that i won't use; intake, water pump, dampener, HEI distributor, flex plate.

i wrote Accel and asked the same question as i'm asking the forum and he said that it was OK to use my Accel distributor as-is with the ZZ4's cam; but, i guess i'm looking for a consensus of opinions.

worse come to worse, maybe the GM HEI distributor's gear will work on the Accel distributor, or i'll have to get another gear. the web page i included in my thread shows an optional steel gear and a bronze gear but gives no indication of what the material is for the gear that came on the distributor... nor do i know what gear material is on the ZZ4's camshaft.

so....

Bill
Old 12-06-2010, 12:37 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
nor do i know what gear material is on the ZZ4's camshaft.

so....

Bill
Shoot a note to GMPP and they can tell you whether the cam in the ZZ4 has a steel or iron gear.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:09 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Shoot a note to GMPP and they can tell you whether the cam in the ZZ4 has a steel or iron gear.
John
e-mail sent to you
Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Accel 77110 DFI dual sync distributor in a ZZ4

Quick Reply: Accel 77110 DFI dual sync distributor in a ZZ4