C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

*General Grand Sport Topic*

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 10:57 PM
keystonefarm
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 78 Posts

When I first looked at the ebay ad I saw 1250 not 12500. Then after reading the info I could not figure out what was actually in the book other than a collection of the past 50 years of article and news surrounding the FIVE GS's . Then I realized the price was 12,500 and said to myself that someone is a bit light in the head out there. I would love to see a small sample of what is offered . ---------- Ken
Old 11-04-2012, 11:21 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
My take-away was they were selling the blue leather binding. They seemed to focus more on that than on the importance of the contents of the book.

Didja notice their mention of six Grand Sports? I wonder what else they got wrong.

In any event, I'm going to keep sitting on my wallet.

Jim
I'll second that Jim! Did you notice the location is Dallas Texas, $20 bucks says this is Alan S. at Duntov.

Aaron
Old 11-05-2012, 05:09 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by rasrboy
I'll second that Jim! Did you notice the location is Dallas Texas, $20 bucks says this is Alan S. at Duntov.

Aaron
I was thinking the same thing...
Old 11-05-2012, 06:47 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by groovyjay
I was thinking the same thing...
==============================

I live North of Dallas, if I can get a few hours I'll see if I can come by and take a look at it.

Ty
Old 11-05-2012, 06:57 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Here is something you might enjoy, and ponder.

In the latest book issue of Camaro Performers, Eric Brockmeyer did a rendering of a GS inspired 67 Camaro.

What do you think? (I have a lot of thoughts, but I thought I would pitch this before saying anything.)

Enjoy,

Ty
Attached Images  
Old 11-05-2012, 07:34 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

FYI: I just heard back from the guy with the $12,500 folder for sale. This is what he sent me.
=============================

Dear Ty O'Neal

This dossier was created for the FIA HMSC (same people that oversee F1); it was done for GM of Europe at a research costs of $250,000 and took a team of people one year to create this unquestionable documentation which No One has done prior to this dossier.

If you will review the EBay ad - it breaks out section by section what the content is which should give you a better idea of content

For example:
GM - Detroit with the spreadsheet produced for this dossier (Rosetta Stone) was able to uncover hundreds of photos never seen before, they had two people working full time for six weeks!

Duntov personal engineering papers (lost until this project) gives tremendous details of this effort, including FIA and unquestionable documentation of Six = not five as most believe Grand Sports. No one outside GM has seen these paper which have been filed away for nearly 50 years

Includes every known USA magazine article on the Grand Sport (in period) as originally printed . . . the cost of these magazines alone was $30,000 and includes many very rare publications

Complete spreadsheet of every race - with full details of chassis number, driver(s), race number and so on (Rosetta Stone)

Complete year by year spreadsheet of the actually specifications of the car as required by the FIA

The Corvette Grand Sport after this dossier was approved by the FIA, the Corvette Grand Sport can now race in international historic races

At the Six Hours of SPA Sept 2012, in the cars first international endurance race - the official GM of Europe Grand Sport finished on the podium, 3rd overall in a field of 104 cars

NONE of the current owners of the five original cars have but a fraction of the details in this Dossier

Please let us know how we can assist further

Thank You for your Message

Shawn
AIC - Dallas, Texas USA
==============================

Thoughts?

Ty
Old 11-05-2012, 08:49 AM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 187 Likes on 71 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

The car that has run at SPA is the Mongoose-bodied, Duntov-chassis white car you've all seen in the videos on YouTube.
At any rate, the $150K price sure sounds like Duntov....
Old 11-05-2012, 09:57 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

I would not mind having the car in the ad but here in this country everything about cars when you have done work to vital parts are so difficult.
It is almost impossible to get license plates on the car
I think some new rules are coming so that you will be able to get license plates on a car like a GS or a Cobra without to much trouble.
I rather wait until those rules are in effect

Car like this would be really easy to get on the road in Norway:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cs...329179936.html
Old 11-05-2012, 11:58 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,545 Likes on 3,009 Posts

Aaron
Yep, Aaron, I was thinking the same thing.

Regarding the mythical 6th Grand Sport, a chance encounter by a GS friend of mine with Leonard Dunlevy, a former GM engineer who worked on the originals, laid the matter to rest for me. Here is an excerpt from private communication about that encounter:

Mr. Dunlevy and I did talk about the 6th Grand Sport. He said with passion, "THERE NEVER WAS A 6TH GRAND SPORT!" He did say that they had a '63 coupe that they used as a "mule" car to test all the things that they designed, but it was in no way a Grand Sport. They cut up the "mule" car pretty good, but never considered it a GS. He thinks this is what Mecom was referring too when he let the media in on the 6th Grand Sport story. Dunlevy, himself, wrote the magazines, telling them who he was and what the real story was, but none of them ever printed any part of a retraction of the story. Of course, they don't want to look like idiots for picking up the story to begin with. So that's the 6th GRAND SPORT story as I now believe it. It makes more sense.
Draw your own conclusions.

Another point worth discussing is the EPay auction claim is the mention of year by year specifications as required by FIA. Not so fast.

1. All the five originals were '63 models, so the concept of "year by year" specifications is somewhat meaningless.

2. With only five cars having been built, there never was FIA homologation, so what could have the FIA "required"?

It just sounds like smoke and mirrors to me.

Oh, speaking of FIA papers..... have I ever mentioned that we have FIA papers for our D&D prototype? Yep. True story:

One of the previous owners of our car intended to import it to Germany and to represent it as the original GS #003 so he could vintage race it as such. He had a complete set of counterfeit FIA paperwork drawn up showing the ownership and race history of our car back to 1964. Our car was previously "owned" and "raced" by Penske, Hall, Guldstrand, and others. (We have these papers.)

He got caught and the car never left the US, because it was seized by US Customs and held in impound for over a year.

True story.

Jim

Last edited by jim lockwood; 11-05-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:07 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Surely somebody is going to bite on that blue leather binding BS. LOL

I have to say the Camaro roadster comes off very well in my opinion.

Hey Aaron good to see you are still hanging out on the Forum.

Jeff
Old 11-05-2012, 12:45 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Here are a few things we have been doing to our GS coupe between getting it ready for the HST track days at Hallett raceway. So far we have made 3 weekends and all I can say is what a blast. So far we have reduced our average times about 4 seconds on street tires.

I put on the 13 inch brake system from the 96 corvette and cooling ducts which made a huge difference.

We found this spoiler made by Mid Valley auto body and added 2 cooling duct holes for the brakes. It is a very nice spoiler for 150 bucks.

Jeff
Old 11-05-2012, 01:13 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Oh, speaking of FIA papers..... have I ever mentioned that we have FIA papers for our D&D prototype? Yep. True story:

One of the previous owners of our car intended to import it to Germany and to represent it as the original GS #003 so he could vintage race it as such. He had a complete set of counterfeit FIA paperwork drawn up showing the ownership and race history of our car back to 1964. Our car was previously "owned" and "raced" by Penske, Hall, Guldstrand, and others. (We have these papers.)

He got caught and the car never left the US, because it was seized by US Customs and held in impound for over a year.

True story.

Jim
IMO that just adds to the coolness of your car! You might want to sell it as a real 003 (now that you have the "documentation" to the guy selling the blue leather binders and say that you are making room for the chassis 006...
Old 11-05-2012, 01:16 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by silverslashstreak
Here are a few things we have been doing to our GS coupe between getting it ready for the HST track days at Hallett raceway. So far we have made 3 weekends and all I can say is what a blast. So far we have reduced our average times about 4 seconds on street tires.

I put on the 13 inch brake system from the 96 corvette and cooling ducts which made a huge difference.

We found this spoiler made by Mid Valley auto body and added 2 cooling duct holes for the brakes. It is a very nice spoiler for 150 bucks.

Jeff
Nice to hear that your are putting your car through its paces. Are you going to use real racing slicks?

And that spoiler... Looks perfect! And with the brake ducts it's even better. I'm waiting for my 67 and 69 camaro spoilers to arrive and I'm going to see if I can modify them to my liking...

Your car is super !
Old 11-05-2012, 01:52 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Nice to hear that your are putting your car through its paces. Are you going to use real racing slicks?

And that spoiler... Looks perfect! And with the brake ducts it's even better. I'm waiting for my 67 and 69 camaro spoilers to arrive and I'm going to see if I can modify them to my liking...

Your car is super !
Thanks Jay, we are currently looking at a few different events we want to enter it in next year and of course every organization has different rules.
Since we have an LS6 for it, vintage stuff is pretty much out, so we havn't decided what direction to go with tires yet.
I am very happy with the spoiler, I wish I had known it was out there before we put the big one on the roadster.

Jeff
Old 11-05-2012, 02:27 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

silverslashstreak. Do this front spoiler fit a original C2?

If so how many /screws/bolts are needed to have it attached?
Attached Images  
Old 11-05-2012, 03:46 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

I never held it up to to a stock car but I think it will run into the turn signals. The GS is at the paint shop having a little touch up done, but I will take a few measurements as soon as it gets back.

Jeff
Old 11-05-2012, 11:00 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by silverslashstreak
Surely somebody is going to bite on that blue leather binding BS. LOL

I have to say the Camaro roadster comes off very well in my opinion.

Hey Aaron good to see you are still hanging out on the Forum.

Jeff
@ Jeff,
I try to watch when I can, but traveling for Kumho Motorsports/ Marketing, instructing and what ever else you can think of gets in my way 300+ days a year now. dang work!!!

@Jim,
I want to remember Dean telling me about your story awhile back. Well cool, your car is now worth $6,000,000.00 and is officialy
GS #6. Maybe Alan can buy it and document it in his make believe book.

Aaron

Get notified of new replies

To *General Grand Sport Topic*

Old 11-06-2012, 08:53 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,545 Likes on 3,009 Posts

@Jim,
I want to remember Dean telling me about your story awhile back. Well cool, your car is now worth $6,000,000.00 and is officialy
GS #6. Maybe Alan can buy it and document it in his make believe book.
Dean would definitely remember the car and the experience.

Let me rewind the tape and tell more of the story.

On whatever Customs forms accompanied the car, it was listed as a Corvette Grand Sport. Amazingly the Customs agent who was involved actually knew what a Grand Sport is and had some idea of value. The declared value of the car was of course very low by comparison to that of a real GS. That low value aroused suspicions and is the main reason Customs seized the car.

After the car was impounded, General Motors became involved. To the best of my knowledge, this marked the first time GM knew that anyone was was reproducing Grand Sports. In any event, because the car was called a "Corvette Grand Sport" on the Customs forms, GM lawyers got huffy and wanted an explanation. They contacted Dean.

The MSO for the car also listed it as a Corvette Grand Sport. Dean's explanation was that this was the first car he produced and the description on the MSO was a mistake on his part. He ended up issuing a second MSO that omits the word "Corvette".

GM's lawyers and Customs agents also hassled the original owner of the car (who had done nothing wrong) and the individuals who brokered the sale to the German. After a year of back and forth about the matter, it was no closer to being resolved. So, the seller contacted one of his Congressional representatives saying, essentially, get these people off my back.

Shortly afterwards, Customs released the car. The vintage race for which the German had originally purchased the car had come and gone. Having no further need for the car, he transferred title to the owner of a northern CA Ford race shop in payment of a debt.

I heard about the car while at the Thunderhill track with my #80 GS when the Ford fellow approached me and said, I've got a car like this and it's for sale.

The D&D prototype Grand Sport actually changed hands one more time before we bought it. In any event, when we acquired the car, it came with copies of both MSOs, Dean's letter to the GM lawyers, and a copy of the FIA papers that document our car's "history" back to 1964.

So now you know "the rest of the story".

Maybe I should see about getting our Grand Sport's history added to the EPay book.

Jim
Old 11-06-2012, 10:15 AM
Sam Kalmuk
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 76 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Jeff: As far as Cooling the Front Brakes, I ducted them from behind the Rotor, through the Rad Support, and behind the Grill area with a Large Duct collecting the Air...
As far as Your Front Spoiler, "How" is it attached to the Body, and, does the Supplier have one "without" the Duct Holes...?
Great Looking GS Coupe.
Sam
Old 11-06-2012, 11:01 AM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sam Kalmuk
Jeff: As far as Cooling the Front Brakes, I ducted them from behind the Rotor, through the Rad Support, and behind the Grill area with a Large Duct collecting the Air...
As far as Your Front Spoiler, "How" is it attached to the Body, and, does the Supplier have one "without" the Duct Holes...?
Great Looking GS Coupe.
Sam
Hey Sam, it is a dream come true, plus we are really having fun with it.

It comes without the cooling holes, we put them in the spoiler. The GS has so many holes and other things going on we just thought it added to the overall look of the car.

Mike Snelling (309-755-1134) is a Corvette restorer in Illinois that makes the spoiler and is a very nice guy to work with.

Jeff

Quick Reply: *General Grand Sport Topic*