C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Cleaning white walls

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 02:33 PM
kutylas
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning white walls

Recently purchased new tires and the white walls are orangey, dark, discolored. I have tried Soft Scrub and Brillo Pads to new use. Help! I just cannot get them WHITE. Any suggestions? Reply to usana11@aol.com

Greg

Last edited by kutylas; 01-08-2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: provided email
Old 01-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Try Westleys 'Bleche Wite , also Comet or Ajax powder.....

Last edited by Ironcross; 01-09-2011 at 09:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dcamick (05-18-2019)
Old 01-08-2011, 02:45 PM
chrisdev
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironcross
Try 'Bleach White , also Comet or Ajax powder.....
Westley's "Bleche White" can be found in auto parts store. I've been using it for years.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:54 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I've always used SOS or Brillo pads. Work great.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:21 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisdev
Westley's "Bleche White" can be found in auto parts store. I've been using it for years.
best stuff on the market. Only I think it is Bleach White
Old 01-08-2011, 03:36 PM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by kutylas
Recently purchased new tires and the white walls are orangey, dark, discolored. I have tried Soft Scrub and Brillo Pads to new use. Help! I just cannot get them WHITE. Any suggestions? Reply to usana11@aol.com

Greg
I consider myself an expert at keeping whitewalls clean, as I've had a lot of older Cadillacs and I usually have Vogues on my daily drivers.

In my experience, the discoloration you describe on NEW tires is a defect in the tire itself or a result of improper storage where the black part of another tire was in contact with the whitewall area. If so, you cannot correct it without replacement.

The best cleaners for whitewalls are Simple Green at 100% concentration followed by Westley's Bleach White. I'd soak them for 3-5 minutes with liberal quantities of Simple Green, then scrub vigorously with a stiff bristle handle brush and rinse immediately. Repeat 2-3 times until there are no visible stains. Then repeat the same procedure once with the Westley's to make the white really "pop". If this does not work, the tires are defective and you should seek remedy with the supplier
Old 01-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Sxrxrnr
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Often the browning or yellowing of whitewalls is because of the oils from the black part of the tire (behind the whitewall) by osmosis finding their way up and thru the whitewall itself.

Diamondback on there whitewall tires place a barrier between the black background before vulcanizing their whitewall to the tire ( think port-a-wall) and you will get an idea of their technology. Have had a set of them on our 300 B Chrysler for some 15 years and the whitewalls are still fine.

For cleaning, I use soapy SOS pads with Westley's for more extreme requirements. I suggest that you wear rubber gloves as these products can be very drying on your hands. Simple Green works pretty well also. As I remember, Diamondback at one time did not recommend Westley's, rather they preferred Simple Green like products.

Westley's can be hard on your mag/aluminum wheels. Rinse off quickly, never let it dry on the wheel. Also can damage the clear coat finish found on many wheels. Can leave staining on your concrete driveway, as it will bleach out dirty or gray areas and leave you with light bleached out sections.

Last edited by Sxrxrnr; 01-09-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Razzle
Racer

I agree with the "bad tire" opinions, and what you describe probly can't be resolved without replacement
Old 01-08-2011, 03:51 PM
KS69Coupe
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 151 Posts

Same opinion as many others... Westly's Bleche-Wite. Can find it at local auto parts stores. Goes on easy, wipe on, done. No scrubbing, very effective. Have used it for many years with no issues or problems. Wear gloves if you have a cut on your hand.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:49 PM
jkuzzy
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

I have used nothing but Westley's for years. Nothing else for me.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:02 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Westleys will make the tires whiter than other products, but prolonged use tends to dry out the whitewalls and make cracking visable
Old 01-08-2011, 08:43 PM
C2Dan
Racer

Originally Posted by kutylas
Recently purchased new tires and the white walls are orangey, dark, discolored.
I had a similar problem with new Firestone FR380s. Using super-fine sandpaper improved them a lot but did not make them perfect.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:43 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jkuzzy
Old 01-09-2011, 07:40 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by jkuzzy
Old 01-09-2011, 07:52 AM
JBrooke825
Drifting

Received 232 Likes on 157 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

bad tires. try laquer thinner. I have a set too. even tried dish washer soap on a small sanding disk. Jim
Old 01-09-2011, 09:28 AM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,888 Likes on 795 Posts

Bleach White as noted.....and a stiff bristle brush and hot water....repeat a few times as needed...dont let it sit on your wheels or hubcaps too long...its strong. On my '41 Buick, the wide whtes are older and really yellowed....on that one I did the bleach white and also used a very fine steel wool with the hot water....sometimes you gotta do it more frequently, especially on these older tires.

Last edited by gilbybarr; 01-09-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Your tires are so bad it probably doesn't matter but Diamondback Tires says this on the topic:
http://www.dbtires.com/ruins_whitewalls.html

Get notified of new replies

To Cleaning white walls

Old 01-09-2011, 10:19 AM
jkuzzy
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

Don't use Westley's on your paint. It will strip off all of the Zaino or wax as well. Ask me how I know.....
Old 01-09-2011, 01:54 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by SupremeDeluxe
In my experience, the discoloration you describe on NEW tires is a defect in the tire itself or a result of improper storage where the black part of another tire was in contact with the whitewall area. If so, you cannot correct it without replacement.
Been there, done that. In 1996, I had Goodyear make me a set of yellow-lettered tires for my Grand Sport, and they shipped them to my local Goodyear store. The kid in the back unwrapped them and stacked them for installation the next day, and when I took the car in, the yellow on three of the four tires had turned brown from absorbing the oil in the black side of the tires stacked on them.

I talked to the Goodyear lab in Akron, and they said the brown would never come out, regardless of what I used on them. After a few more phone calls, Goodyear agreed to make me another set, and they told the store owner not to unwrap them or stack them unwrapped. They made another set (at no charge to me) and shipped them, and they were fine.

There's a reason whitewalls and lettered tires are wrapped in barrier paper.
Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2011, 07:04 PM
VetteRed1965
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

With a car like that who needs white walls...

The simple green is acid base and the bleachwhite will also attack painted surfaces.They also will make the polish or chrome on most
rims dull.I me how I know !

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Been there, done that. In 1996, I had Goodyear make me a set of yellow-lettered tires for my Grand Sport, and they shipped them to my local Goodyear store. The kid in the back unwrapped them and stacked them for installation the next day, and when I took the car in, the yellow on three of the four tires had turned brown from absorbing the oil in the black side of the tires stacked on them.

I talked to the Goodyear lab in Akron, and they said the brown would never come out, regardless of what I used on them. After a few more phone calls, Goodyear agreed to make me another set, and they told the store owner not to unwrap them or stack them unwrapped. They made another set (at no charge to me) and shipped them, and they were fine.

There's a reason whitewalls and lettered tires are wrapped in barrier paper.

Quick Reply: Cleaning white walls