C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Differential Side Yoke Movement???

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 05:19 PM
krf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keith, You won't be dissapointed w/ Bair's they did an awsome job on mine. Shemp

Shemp....

They say "a picture is worth a thousand words", well you "nailed" it!

I'm sold!

Many thanks!

Keith
Old 01-20-2011, 05:30 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by krf
1sttexan,

Just spoke with Ed at Bairs....nice people....I'm sending my entire lower trailing arms to them for rebuild....I just found the receipt from the prior owner where the car got a new differential and both side yokes to the tune of $2400+ bucks just 300 miles ago! ouch!(read Chevy garage) Unless somebody goofed up the diff/yokes....the play I'm getting must be in the wheel bearing/lower trailing arm. Since I don't know what was done with them, the prudent thing to do seems to be to send them to Bairs and get them squared away once and for all!

Many thanks for the tip!

Keith
Brian and Ed at Bair's did my trailing arms last year. Quality work and good people. You made a good choice.

Larry
Old 01-20-2011, 05:37 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

I suggest clear coating all that pretty clean metal. It will keep things looking new longer and prevent ugly surface rust. It will also extend the life of the Cadmium on the brake shields.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:26 PM
Revette
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Revette
Did GM ever have a problem with the yoke ends lacking hardness? I had a '79 that had a real "clunking" as I would turn a corner and many of the old-school guys told me to add whale-oil (or whatever the GM additive was) to the rearend for the posi clutches. My '79 was very low mileage (a year or two old) when we pulled the rear end, we found the ends of the yokes had mushroomed over and trapped the clips in the destroyed ends of the yokes. The rearend was total junk. When we pulled it apart, if you put the car on a hoist, while grabbing a wheel with one hand at the top and the other at the bottom of the tire, if you rocked the wheel, I swear you could slide the yoke in and out of the housing about 5/8 of an inch. When the car sat on the ground, the rear wheels had a definite tip with the tops of the wheels in toward the center of the car.

Ironically, my '66 still has a totally original profile when viewed from the rear of the car. I checked alignment two of three years ago and it was "spot on".
I see my initial question has not been answered by anyone in this thread. I asked about the hardness of the splined yoke ends because my '79 (same rearend configuration as my '66) had massive problems in '81 with only 12,000 miles on the car. I asked because my ex-wife ended up replacing the rearend with someone's aftermarket unit when the original GM unit failed and since this was prior to the internet, was there GM service bulletin?
Old 01-20-2011, 06:55 PM
krf
Racer

I see my initial question has not been answered by anyone in this thread. I asked about the hardness of the splined yoke ends because my '79 (same rearend configuration as my '66) had massive problems in '81 with only 12,000 miles on the car. I asked because my ex-wife ended up replacing the rearend with someone's aftermarket unit when the original GM unit failed and since this was prior to the internet, was there GM service bulletin?
Revette,

I'm sure I'm not qualified to answer this, but from what I have read the original yokes were only hardened for a limited amount on the business end if any at all. In time, the limited hardened area would wear away, giving way to the softer metal which was much quicker to fail/wear thus resulting in more and more yoke play.

I have spoken with a shop who specializes in differentials for corvettes and they commented that they used Yokes that were hardened on the ends, but cautioned that some were not.

Also, others have commented on this forum about adding hardened steel to the end of the yoke (welding), then machining it to "tighten" the tolerances, thus limiting the amount the side yoke can actually slip.

I too had a 1979 when I was in the military, and my differential went out on me while TDY at Luke AFB to the tune of $1200 bucks! (a lot for a 2nd lewie)

I would think the lesson here is to make sure if you replace your side yokes that you do so with ones that have the ends hardened. If you find yours have worn, there are those who have welded on a hardened area, machined it to whatever specs they desired, and put the differential back in service.

Not sure if that answers your question or not....I have no idea on the existance of a service bulletin....maybe someone else knows???

Keith

Last edited by krf; 01-20-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:23 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Yes, the late 70s yokes were of poor quality due to insufficient depth of case hardening. The additive your buddies made you add made no difference. I've never seen a service bulletin on this and would be surprised if there was one.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:54 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

I believe that 1/4" to 1/2" of end play is impossible! If you have 1/8" end play, then you have a fairly severe problem. As someone said before, you are looking for less than 0.010" end play, ideally.

Excess end play can be due to the inner stubs of the yokes being worn, as was mentioned before (once the .005" case hardening wears away, erosion is fairly rapid). The center of the spider shaft, where the yoke stubs abut and rub, tends to wear flat. Another cause of play is excessive wear in the clutch pack. If you raise one rear wheel, and rig up a torque wrench to the hub, then the break-away torque should be 60 foot-pounds. Check this number, but fairly sure that it is around 60. Last time I rebuilt my posi unit, I measures the breakaway torque at 80 ft-lbs.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:32 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by nassau66427
If that's the case I wonder why Chevy recommends that for severe use (racing), the side yoke end play be reduced to less than .005"? (Chevy Power Service Manual)
IMO because gymkana/road racing hi lateral Gs with wide tires on uneven tracks that allow cars to unload (or even become airborne) would hammer the diff between the yokes.

All I do is drive my car hard in the streets on radial tires that fit in the wheel wells - from coast to coast and border to border - occasionally at triple digit speeds - sometimes power shifting through the gears for fun. No clips are no problems for me in the 24 years I have owned my roadster and it has been without them.

As a side effect, having no clips makes installing new Ujoints or diff seals really easy.

Last edited by magicv8; 01-20-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:42 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Brand new, there was significant lateral movement of the stub axles in the differential housing.
Note: for drag racing, the circlips could be left off entirely. Therefore the differential could be changed out in half the time if there was breakage during drag racing launches.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:43 AM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nassau66427
If that's the case I wonder why Chevy recommends that for severe use (racing), the side yoke end play be reduced to less than .005"? (Chevy Power Service Manual)
Because the half shaft is also the upper control arm. The loaded side's shaft is in tension when cornering, so the clips do matter. If youre replacing the strut rods with rod ends for racing, then the half shaft ought to be just as tight.

Obviously it works without clips, but it's not what the engineers intended.

Harry
Old 01-22-2011, 07:48 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

My differential lacked clips when I bought my car. When I rebuilt it I installed new yokes from Bairs and clips - because that was what the GM assembly manual said. One new yoke had almost no play while the other had noticeably more - never measured but probably not much more than 1/8 inch. That may just be the way they are as someone indicated above, or may be some wear in my rear end. But - I'm suspicious if those C-clips were really intended by design to take any regular and significant loading to limit outward movement of the yoke, even in aggressive driving with stock tires. I think that stock - outward movement and loading must be a rare situation because I don't see those clips and the yoke grooves being capable of taking a 100,000 miles of regular cyclic loading. My 2 cents
Old 01-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by krf
Hello Mike,

Unfortunately it's more like .25 to .50 inches, but now that I have it in my garage...time to put it on the lift and make sure of the measurement.

Note: I just went through the receipts on the car from the prior owner....the car got a rebuilt differential and both side yokes replaced by a chevy garage (Eckler parts) less than 300 miles ago to the tune of over $2400 bucks....ouch! I don't think my problem is with the differential or side yokes now that I found that....time to concetrate on the wheel bearing, rear suspension rebuild???

I'll get the car on the lift next week, measure the side yoke endplay before taking the trailing arms off, send them off for rebuild, reinstall and check it again. If the side yokes come out while I have the half shafts off, I'll know there is no clip installed on them (even if that is no big deal, I'll have to at least open the rear end and look for them, just in case they are in there )

Many thanks for the reply!

Keith

Keith, with the side drive shafts removed, see what the side to side play is like in the differential itself. I had over 1/4 inch play in mine and was convinced my side axels were worn to a nub. When I pulled the differential, I discovered the center pin was moving side to side in the case which was allowing both axels to move in and out at every turn multiplying the play. The cure was to install an oversized center pin in my case and not to replace the axel shafts. You won't know for sure until you drop the rear and take a look. GTR1999 (a/k/a Gary Ramadei) did a super job on the rebuild. Check the threads for a wealth of info he has posted on these rears. Pilot Dan

Last edited by Pilot Dan; 01-22-2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Added photos
Old 01-22-2011, 03:05 PM
krf
Racer

[QUOTE=Pilot Dan;1576584470]Keith, with the side drive shafts removed, see what the side to side play is like in the differential itself. I had over 1/4 inch play in mine and was convinced my side axels were worn to a nub. When I pulled the differential, I discovered the center pin was moving side to side in the case which was allowing both axels to move in and out at every turn multiplying the play. The cure was to install an oversized center pin in my case and not to replace the axel shafts. You won't know for sure until you drop the rear and take a look. GTR1999 (a/k/a Gary Ramadei) did a super job on the rebuild. Check the threads for a wealth of info he has posted on these rears. Pilot Dan

Thanks Dan....

I plan to get her on the lift next week to pull my trailing arms....good time to open the differntial and see what's going on in there.

Many thanks!

Keith
Old 02-01-2012, 12:16 PM
riacreedon@gmail.com
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting stuff here.
I'm rebuilding my '70 rear. Thinking of buying trailing arm ***'ys from Duntov Motors. Any opinions about their materials and workmanship? Also, regarding the side yokes: anyone heard of the clips coming adrift, getting into the ring & pinion - and destroying the diff.?
Old 02-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bob Creedon
Also, regarding the side yokes: anyone heard of the clips coming adrift, getting into the ring & pinion - and destroying the diff.?
This topic gets thrashed here occasionally but more frequently on the C3 board. There's a small but vocal minority, most of whom I believe are sporting a cranial Faraday cage, believe that large amounts of yoke end play constitute a road safety hazard.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:52 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I was told to change the bolt(looking like the one to the left on the picture)everytime i change oil on the differential
Where in the differential is that bolt supposed to sit?

Also if the strut rod bushings are worn i suppose you will get play?

It cant be that hard to change the side yokes, bearings, seal and snap rings? I suppose the most difficult thing is to pull the old bearings?

Note that if i have to do this i have never done it before but i have a friend that have been working with Corvettes his hole adult life
Attached Images  

Last edited by TheSaint; 02-01-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by TheSaint
Where in the differential is that bolt supposed to sit?
That bolt attaches the trailing arm bushing to the frame. Nothing to do with the differential.

Get notified of new replies

To Differential Side Yoke Movement???

Old 02-01-2012, 02:53 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Mike it is not the bolt on the picture but it is small and looks like the one to the left on the picture
Old 02-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

There's no bolt near the differential that looks like that, nor do I know of any bolt that needs/should be changed with fluid change (?)
Old 02-01-2012, 04:38 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSaint
Mike it is not the bolt on the picture but it is small and looks like the one to the left on the picture
I think you're talking about the pinion shaft lock bolt.

The pinion shaft may get screwed up as the yokes wear.

It's a good idea to replace it if you replace the pinion shaft.

Don't overtorque it.

Quick Reply: Differential Side Yoke Movement???