C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Silly question for experts

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 12:17 AM
n1kon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silly question for experts

Is there a reason GM decided to Siamese the exhaust ports on SBC heads. Why did they go with o-oo-o and not o-o-o-o? Are the benefits to the spacing? Just curious, I searched but could not find the answer. Just wanted to know why.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:01 AM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by n1kon
Is there a reason GM decided to Siamese the exhaust ports on SBC heads. Why did they go with o-oo-o and not o-o-o-o? Are the benefits to the spacing? Just curious, I searched but could not find the answer. Just wanted to know why.
My guess: Cheaper exhaust manifolds?

When they designed the 396, they went to o-o-o-o to reduce hot spots in the cylinder head.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:05 AM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

with Bill... Cost is big driver
I'd add that the layout certainly made carb heat and coolant routing easier to manage, too.

Harry

Last edited by 66since71; 01-25-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:07 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by mashinter
My guess: Cheaper exhaust manifolds?

When they designed the 396, they went to o-o-o-o to reduce hot spots in the cylinder head.
.....and then they messed up with the siamesed intake ports. The ones that open toward the center of the cylinder flow much better than their neighbors that flow toward the cylinder wall. @#%#$ Ford basically stole the BBC head design and then fixed the intake port problem with their Boss 302 heads.

Who knows what runs through the minds of engine designers? Mid 60s and early 70s Oldsmobile V8s heads had REAL siamesed center exaust ports. There wasn't even a wall between the ports, just one big rectangular outlet.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:37 PM
bdhulderman
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Here's what I found, makes sense to me.

"In the original SBC design done in the early 50's COST was a major driving factor. Siamese exhaust ports allow an exhaust manifold with only three branches, which means a simpler core for the casting. It also uses fewer attaching bolts, and has fewer pads to machine on the exhaust flange of the head. Overall it's also lighter, and therefore cheaper to make. Remember the first SBC was about 160 gross hp at the flywheel."

Get notified of new replies

To Silly question for experts

Quick Reply: Silly question for experts