C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Flaming River tilt column wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 11:28 PM
Tonytz06
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flaming River tilt column wiring question

I am installing a Flaming River tilt column in my 63 coupe. My question is about the wiring harness and adapting it to the original 63 harness. The instructions for the FR harness are straight forward, except for the pink wire in the original 63 harness and a green wire in the FR harness. The FR instructions do not show a pink wire, where does this go? The FR instructions show a dark green wire labeled right rear turn signal, the original 63 harness does not have a dark green wire, so which wire picks this up?

Thanks;

Tony
Old 02-06-2011, 09:26 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonytz06
I am installing a Flaming River tilt column in my 63 coupe. My question is about the wiring harness and adapting it to the original 63 harness. The instructions for the FR harness are straight forward, except for the pink wire in the original 63 harness and a green wire in the FR harness. The FR instructions do not show a pink wire, where does this go? The FR instructions show a dark green wire labeled right rear turn signal, the original 63 harness does not have a dark green wire, so which wire picks this up?

Thanks;

Tony
Tony: You DO have a wiring schematic for your car, right? If not, here goes from the 63 Corvette Shop Manual.

On the original turn signal switch at the bottom of the column you have a Pink wire going to the body connector and continuing to the left (driver's side) rear turn signals.

You have a Violet wire from the original turn signal switch to the body connector and continuing to the right rear turn signals.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 448 Likes on 205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

This is for a '65 but should be similar

and if you want to hook up 4-way flashers

This and other info can be found here ===> Click Here

George
Old 02-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Tonytz06
Pro

George;

Thanks for the information. Yes, I have a 63 diagram, which is different than the 65. I saw your 65 information, but the Flaming River wiring sequence for the 63 is different.
Here is what it says:

FR connector:

P= White = brake light switch
N= Dark Green = Right rear turn signal
M= Yellow = Left rear turn signal
L= Purple = turn signal power
K= Brown = Hazard power
J= Dark blue = Right front turn signal
H= Light blue = Left front turn signal
G= Black = Horn

My issuse is with the pink wire from the dash harness and the dark green from the Flaming River harness. I know I am missing something here but looking at the 63 wiring diagram I can't tell what the pink wire does.

Thanks again;

Tony
Old 02-06-2011, 01:13 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

George;

Thanks for the information. Yes, I have a 63 diagram, which is different than the 65. I saw your 65 information, but the Flaming River wiring sequence for the 63 is different.
Here is what it says:

FR connector:

P= White = brake light switch
N= Dark Green = Right rear turn signal
M= Yellow = Left rear turn signal
L= Purple = turn signal power
K= Brown = Hazard power
J= Dark blue = Right front turn signal
H= Light blue = Left front turn signal
G= Black = Horn

My issuse is with the pink wire from the dash harness and the dark green from the Flaming River harness. I know I am missing something here but looking at the 63 wiring diagram I can't tell what the pink wire does.

Thanks again;

Tony
So, when I posted that the PINK wire is to the rear driver side turn signal it didn't make sense?

From your post on the FR connector it should wire this way.

Dark Green on the FR connector goes to the VIOLET for RR Turn Signal
Yellow on the FR connector goes to the PINK for LR Turn Signal
Old 02-06-2011, 01:53 PM
Tonytz06
Pro

Yup, makes sense now. I took another look at the harness in the car and saw how the pink connects to the rear. The way FR has the diagram I thought I had to match the wire color to the original dash harness wire color.

Hey, thanks again for the help and have a safe super bowl day;

Tony
Old 02-06-2011, 02:03 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Yup, makes sense now. I took another look at the harness in the car and saw how the pink connects to the rear. The way FR has the diagram I thought I had to match the wire color to the original dash harness wire color.

Hey, thanks again for the help and have a safe super bowl day;

Tony
Aren't 63's fun? I installed a Painless wiring harness when I built my car.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Tonytz06
Pro

I did a complete harness change in the car as the old harness, well, was old and had a lot of bubba work done to it. The only one I didnt change was the engine harness. I installed Vintage Air, so I relocated the alternator and rebuilt the engine harness.

Thanks again and having fun at least I think I am;

Tony
Old 06-10-2018, 12:01 PM
ranger9812
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 26 Posts

Resurrecting this old thread with a new question...

I'm installing a Flaming River column in my 63, and I bought the FR20118-1 kit to add the 4-way hazards. Now that I'm working out the wiring and how everything works, I'm thinking that you could just jumper the existing yellow wire that provides turn signal power from the flasher on the main fuse box and have it feed both sockets L and K on the 4 1/4" connector that comes on the FR column. Has anyone done this, and does it work?

If so, sounds like I wasted $80 on this kit.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:25 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

I would think you'd need a separate flasher for the 4 ways. My Flaming River column does, but it is a 65. I don't think much good would come out of wiring both brake lights (re: turn signal) to the same point on the turn signal flasher, it's designed for two bulbs. If it even worked, it would flash the lights really slowly.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:44 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

It should look similar to this. This is a 65, but it says instructions for 63-66.

Old 06-10-2018, 02:23 PM
ranger9812
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah, the kit is the same as the picture you're showing. I was thinking that since you would never be using the hazards and a blinker at the same time anyway, the flasher would only ever be providing power to one or the other. I'm not familiar with how the flasher works internally, but if you're saying that the flashing speed is a function of the current draw, then yeah, you might get either a really slow or really fast blinking frequency. I already paid for this thing anyway; so I guess I'll just use it and avoid the whole question, but I'm still curious.

Last edited by ranger9812; 06-10-2018 at 02:26 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Flaming River tilt column wiring question

Quick Reply: Flaming River tilt column wiring question