C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1954 Early Vette Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 11:56 PM
tmctguer
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1954 Early Vette Question

for anyone who might own an early 1954 Corvette, or might be familiar with NCRS judging guidelines, i would like some assistance. how far should the rear exhaust chrome "tips" protrude from the rear bumper?

i am about to buy some exhaust extension on eBay (from a reputable seller) to replace the non-factory tips that are on the car. but i need to know how far the replacement tips should protrude from the rear bumper so i can give some instructions to my local muffler shop on creating a mating flange that will result in the correct fit.

thanks in advance for any help someone can provide.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:45 AM
vettecityman53
Instructor

Default length

The original extensions with the straight cut stuck out about 1-1/2" to 2". Be careful about buying reproductions as they can be detected in judging, they are a slightly different color than originals.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:56 AM
vettecityman53
Instructor

Default mating flange?

....and what do you mean by this? The exhasut pipes slip into the extensions which are held by two brackets bolted by three bolts into the body in the vertical section of the trunk floor on either side of the spare. There are two of these brackets on the underside of the body which have 'clamps' which encircles the extension, a cross-bolt holds the extension in-place and at the proper spacing. Do you have these brackets on your body? On the underside of the car, the exhaust extension (part you won't see) has a 'donut' with four prongs to secure the exhaust pipe and center it as it enters the extension. Look at Noland Adam's book for reference......there shouldn't be any 'flange' for joining the pipe to the extension, it slips in.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:32 PM
tmctguer
4th Gear

vettecityman53: good question about "mating flange". i probably have jumped the gun in assuming the exhaust tips i've seen on eBay need to be mated via a flange to the exhaust pipes. i made that assumption by looking at photos of them, and wondering how they connect to the exhaust pipes. i will look at the underside of the exhaust this weekend, and check for the parts you mention.

as you can probably tell, i just purchased a '54 Vette and am getting to know the vehicle.

thanks for your detailed description of the parts, and how they connect. i will re-post if i need further info.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:49 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Old 02-10-2011, 06:23 PM
tmctguer
4th Gear

i DO have the clamps on my car (the ones in the picture). but i have non-stock exhaust tips in place (i spoke with the prior owner). i will need to purchase the early '54 exhaust tips and replace the non-stock ones with stock units.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:43 PM
TroyPyles
Pro

You will have to remove the tail pipes to install the new exhaust extensions.

Get notified of new replies

To 1954 Early Vette Question

Quick Reply: 1954 Early Vette Question