C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Still stuck ignition tumbler

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 06:30 PM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Still stuck ignition tumbler

in my car. I really did not need to take it out. I was just going to replace all the bezels. I had the wiper one out because I was doing the SPW wiper kit. So far I like what I see with this kit. Seems to work smooth. Only time I've ever had two wipers working at the same time It's not that bad of an install, but it's no joy either. It's like typical wiper work. It sure cleans up under the dash. Nothing under there now but a tube. The tube from the drivers transmission down to where I mounted the motor(drivers kick panel) was the harder one to figure out and install.

Tried to get the tumbler out a few times again today. It really does not seem to want to come out. Maybe one day it will. I've jiggled it WD40'ed it wiggle and jiggle it just does not pop out.

My mopar M/C came but it was the 101323 not the 101323M the box was marked M but it was the non M version. Summit emailed me the UPS no problem. Now I just have to wait for it to come back. Ruins any chance of doing the Mill work this w/e.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:46 PM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

can you feel or see that little brass button. it is under the hole when you
turn the key all the way to the left. jim
Old 02-12-2011, 08:51 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by INMYBLOOD
in my car. I really did not need to take it out. I was just going to replace all the bezels. I had the wiper one out because I was doing the SPW wiper kit. So far I like what I see with this kit. Seems to work smooth. Only time I've ever had two wipers working at the same time It's not that bad of an install, but it's no joy either. It's like typical wiper work. It sure cleans up under the dash. Nothing under there now but a tube. The tube from the drivers transmission down to where I mounted the motor(drivers kick panel) was the harder one to figure out and install.

Tried to get the tumbler out a few times again today. It really does not seem to want to come out. Maybe one day it will. I've jiggled it WD40'ed it wiggle and jiggle it just does not pop out.

My mopar M/C came but it was the 101323 not the 101323M the box was marked M but it was the non M version. Summit emailed me the UPS no problem. Now I just have to wait for it to come back. Ruins any chance of doing the Mill work this w/e.
i'm surprised you couldn't get it at your FLAPS... and, remember to check that there is no residual valve under the fitting seats..

if you have to drill out the key cylinder, here's where to drill (no damage to the switch itself)

Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 02-12-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:51 AM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Bill maybe I could have gotten the M/C local, but sometimes it's more of a pain.

I also just took a second look at corvette central and found the tumbler. First time I looked I did not see it. I may drill it out now.

Thanks
Old 02-13-2011, 07:10 AM
Donald #31176
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

You could contact Pat Krause in Fallston Md who can setup a new cylinder. I dont have his phone # handy as Im out of town but he is the man for locks.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:01 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Bill maybe I could have gotten the M/C local, but sometimes it's more of a pain.

I also just took a second look at corvette central and found the tumbler. First time I looked I did not see it. I may drill it out now.

Thanks
the lock (tumbler) should be available locally, the number is on the box end in the pic.
Bill
Old 02-13-2011, 09:50 AM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Mine did the same thing about a year ago, there's small rectangular piece of metal that protrudes from the tumbler and is retracted when the key is turned. Mine no longer retracted and I had to force it out with a screw driver. Bought all new correct parts. Pretty easy install. Luckily, Bubba had been there before so none of the parts were original.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:54 AM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by wmf62
the lock (tumbler) should be available locally, the number is on the box end in the pic.
Bill
Thanks Bill I'll look it up. The Corvette Central tumbler in the picture does not look like the one you drilled our or mine. It looks flat and does not have the ears. Maybe the picture is just a stock photo or the winged tumbler is for 60 and up. But since I've grown up around my fathers 60 I've only seen winged tumblers.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:39 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Thanks Bill I'll look it up. The Corvette Central tumbler in the picture does not look like the one you drilled our or mine. It looks flat and does not have the ears. Maybe the picture is just a stock photo or the winged tumbler is for 60 and up. But since I've grown up around my fathers 60 I've only seen winged tumblers.
if no ears, it's a 65 up..
Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Still stuck ignition tumbler

Quick Reply: Still stuck ignition tumbler