C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 Rear Brake Caliper Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 12:02 AM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

Default 67 Rear Brake Caliper Question

With the rear caliper off the car - can one replace each piston lip seal while the caliper is still in one piece? (caliper bolts not removed). Also are the rear pistons all the same size for the rebuild kit? Mine are ss sleeved from the 80's with lip seals. Thank You!
Old 02-14-2011, 12:05 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by babbah
With the rear caliper off the car - can one replace each piston lip seal while the caliper is still in one piece? (caliper bolts not removed). Also are the rear pistons all the same size for the rebuild kit? Mine are ss sleeved from the 80's with lip seals. Thank You!
Don't know why you would want to try, but I don't think it can be done. Never actually tried it.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:02 AM
postalpete
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just rebuilt mine on my -66 and I don't see how you could seat the seals without a good whack with a hammer so I would say my limited experience you can't but it like Wayne said why would you want to. You have done 90% of the job already just getting them off.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:04 AM
tentuna
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Is there a problem with the caliper bolts being frozen?
Old 02-14-2011, 09:05 AM
muskegonbrake
Supporting Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's theoretically possible, but not recommended. If you're going to go through the trouble of replacing the seals and boots you should also replace the crossover seals. If you don't they could be the next problem.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:22 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by muskegonbrake
It's theoretically possible, but not recommended. If you're going to go through the trouble of replacing the seals and boots you should also replace the crossover seals. If you don't they could be the next problem.
Theoretically But I think the pistons are too long to come out with the caliper together. I might be wrong, I certainly haven't measured them to see. I don't know why anyone would want to try.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:36 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

I will take the caliper off and apart - Installing new design Pistons with O'ring seals from Vette Brakes. The lip seals lasted 29 years, I cant complain! My calipers were from them in 1982 with stainless steel bores. I'll reuse them.

Get notified of new replies

To 67 Rear Brake Caliper Question

Quick Reply: 67 Rear Brake Caliper Question