C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

soft top installation cost??

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 08:38 PM
Leadrope
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default C2 soft top

Originally Posted by old stingray
Al's guys do nice work.
My plan is to attend one of the shows that Al Knoch hauls to. With that said whats the best thing to do;

1. Tear the old top off and check the frame?
2. Make any repairs needed like rust prevention and paint?
3. Let Al's guys install the new top

I will have to drive about 4 hours over the Smokey's to get from Raleigh to TN in the fall as my car won't be running in time to make it to the March show in TN. Won't be much fun if its raining!

I don't think Al can do any frome work on the road can he?
Old 04-23-2014, 01:31 PM
bluester
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Top installer in SE Mich.

Originally Posted by Ironcross
Al Knoch gets $525.00 to install 'his' tops....there isn`t any one in the country that can do a better job..and in the mood does several a day....I mention this because others have attempted to install the tops and will compare or use Al`s prices...and it could be a idiot installing the tops... A trick 'PRO' installer that had never done a Vette and shall remain nameless, recently took 3 days fuking the top up in the process did a lousy job and then charged Al`s prices .Many here on the forum have installed tops and did a great job,..{no wrinkles or too tight} and they look as good as Al`s
Hey Walt, who does tops in our neck of the woods? I know someone with a non-Corvette that is going to need a top soon.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:50 PM
tach drive 61
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

My 61 is off to Ralph's auto tops.Montgomery NY.
He adjusts frames on c1 will install top,pads straps rubber
With no trouble a quote of $500,my frame is good top is removed I supply all new parts.we used,
Alknoch top pads straps and corvette rubber for top kit.
Bringing car 60 miles and leaving it a week.Will be worst but Ralph has been highly recommended.just hope for clear drop off day top down ride will be fun.

Last edited by tach drive 61; 04-23-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:15 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Ironcross
A trick 'PRO' installer that had never done a Vette and shall remain nameless, recently took 3 days fuking the top up in the process did a lousy job and then charged Al`s prices
And I'm going to guess.. it was the tops fault it took three days? Wally I can't match Al's expertise on tops by any means.. but I'd bet there are not many aside from him that have installed more of Al's tops than me... LOL....
Old 10-24-2021, 09:02 PM
61redvet
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Al Knoch Top came with straps chrome tips and screws and cord for 61 rear bow but not tack strips or rubber seals
Old 10-24-2021, 09:07 PM
61redvet
Cruising

I am being quoted $75 per hour and 3 days 24 hours plus materials I bought the top and that looks like it may cost 2000$. But it sure seams high don't you think?
Old 10-24-2021, 09:19 PM
61redvet
Cruising

This post is seven years old but I need someone. I have seen Al do tops at a number of events and you're right they do several on a weekend. My local installer won't even watch the video because he knows how to do it but plans on taking three days. I will have to call Al in the morning during covid they didn't come to the shows in Chicago.
Old 10-25-2021, 08:36 AM
tach drive 61
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

my top experience goes as follows , mistake one bought a shelved top al knoch from a Member here . a good deal 200 bucks white for my 61 , then call east coast top vette guy he recommends a highly experienced guy no names mentioned to do the top . well they shrink when sitting ! he did a job he just couldn't fix , i paid him $500 plus my travel and even a tip ! , Top two al knoch at show two year's later his best guy installed a new top all the tack strips soup to nuts still in great shape But the top will never stow without major damage , the care i must go through to put top down ! this year driving home from carlisle pa was a pleasure my top in the hardest rain ever didn't leak a drop . it still shows great , if i had to do it again a black stay fast would be my pick ! hire the best and pay up and keep a open mind !
Old 10-25-2021, 08:46 AM
JWR64
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 34 Posts

John,
Get the Al Knoch DVD and install it yourself. Its not hard. I had never done one and did it myself a couple of weeks ago. I did it in about 9 hours, taking my time and occasionally going in to watch the DVD if I forgot something. I am pretty handy but far from an expert. I watched the DVD about 5 times. Then I watched it and wrote out a step by step list. Followed the list and it looks good. Here are some pictures of how it turned out. And these pictures were before I even used a heat gun to take out small wrinkles.

Sincerely,
Wyndham

The following users liked this post:
C2Scho (10-25-2021)
Old 10-25-2021, 09:56 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

A C2 is a whole different animal than a C1. C1 cars and more difficult and require a lot of adjusting. I just finished a 59 and it took me 33 hours. Granted, the top needed everything from paint to tack strips. I charged him about $1,600. That included all the parts and labor.
Like I said pre 61 corvettes are more difficult because the material is stapled to the rear latch bow. If it is not stapled just right then you will see wrinkles in the side sales. On later models the top installs to the rear latch bow like C2s and C3s with plastic filler cord pressed into the groove so the top is positioned correctly.
rich5962 (11-13-2021)
Old 10-25-2021, 03:04 PM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,436 Likes on 738 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

on my 54's and C1's - I buy the kit from Al Knoch
I restore the top frames
I install the frame and rough adjust it
I have a local shop install the top and cost is around 2k
Conv tops are not cheap to install.
woodsdesign (10-25-2021)
Old 10-25-2021, 10:03 PM
OLDED
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Old but good thread.
Any suggestions for a good installer in the Atlanta, GA area - to do my 59?

Thx

Ed
Old 11-12-2021, 12:25 PM
61redvet
Cruising

Originally Posted by bluzrocker
ok boys..
I am going to buy a complete soft top kit w/ all the stuff...best price 577.00 delivered to me..
Now the cost to install? what is a resonable cost..??
How much per hour do top installers get and how many hours does it take??

Bluzrocker
I had one quote in Wisconsin of about $575 they said $75 /Hr. and another about $1300 and $50 per hour. The problem is what condition is the top frame. Mine needed new tack strips in both bows and the T nuts in the front bow were rusted and not usable. Luckily Coffman corvette who built my top frame is still available and had those parts. I did not think the 2 shops had enough corvette experience so I am using Al Knoch's video and doing it my self. Once the frame is ready 5 hours was the estimated time. The last time 1997 and 60 thousand miles ago the installer did some of the things Al Knoch's video says not to do and I was never happy with how it looked.
Old 11-12-2021, 07:38 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

" Once the frame is ready 5 hours was the estimated time"
I have never installed a corvette convertible top in 5 hours. Especially a C1. It is more like 15-20 hours.
rich5962 (11-13-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 07:38 AM
TRP_IV
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 248 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by macpilot
What about the total cost to install on a car that is "soft top delete"?

I am looking at getting a car that has been described as such, so I am assuming this means there is no hardware at all currently installed on the car to accept a soft top.
I have a C2 that was a "Hardtop only" car. Everything s there in the car for the soft too except the frame and the rear chrome latches in the rear deck lid. There are pre-marked cutoits in the underside of the rear decklid. I bought my frame and everything from Sully. Paid a shop in Mountain View $1300.00 to install the canvas top. C1 may be different.

Quick Reply: soft top installation cost??