C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1961 Corvette Heater Core Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 12:00 PM
21Vette99
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1961 Corvette Heater Core Bypass

New owner to a 61'. Heater core is leaking, I want to go ahead and bypass it by tying in both inlet and outlet hose from the heater core. However, I could take off the outlet hose from the core very easily, the inlet hose appears to run through the firewall before it reaches the nipple.

Is that correct? I have tried to pull on it from the engine compartment and it won't budge. Do I need to loosen it up under the dash and then pull it through the firewall. I would like to leave hoses in tact in case I decide to replace the core.

Also what size of hose fittings do I need? I tried to search couldn't find much info on the c1 in this area.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:14 PM
62Guy
Instructor

The hoses are different sizes, I think the sizes are 5/8" and 3/4". If I remember correctly it is the 3/4" that goes through the firewall and connects to a 90 degree elbow. You should be able to see this by removing the package tray and the package tray support.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:19 PM
john5801
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default heater hose

for the time being, i'd shut the water flow off until you can pull the heater core and 'replace 'it.
i've done this several times over the years.
two ways you can do this in about 10 minutes.
1-cut the 'in' hose about 6-8" from the fire wall and put a shut off valve in connecting the hose..i use the ball-****-lever type from home depot, or lowes.($ 5?) cut a piece of the hose -2-3 inches off to bring with you for sizing..
2-cut both the hose-the in and the out- ( plug them up with something-a cork--)and 'loop' them together--with an angle 90 degree pvc connecter from home depot .or lowes-(maybe-$ 5)again solves the problem.-temporariarly..
i currently have the levered ball-**** shut off valve in my cars-and i've replaced the heater core..
hope this helps.
john
Old 03-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by 62Guy
The hoses are different sizes, I think the sizes are 5/8" and 3/4". If I remember correctly it is the 3/4" that goes through the firewall and connects to a 90 degree elbow. You should be able to see this by removing the package tray and the package tray support.
Those are the correct sizes and yes, they are different:

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000050x
Old 03-14-2011, 01:05 PM
21Vette99
Advanced

That is what I expected. I was hesitant to cut it because the car is all original, but I guess a rubber hose could be easily replaced.

Also what is the best way to remove the old fluid from the core. I obviously have a leak, so I am guessing I go ahead and put plastic down on inside of car and blow air through the inlet and catch it on the outlet.

Thanks for the help. I will have a bunch more questions in the next couple weeks. I always try to thoroughly exhaust the search feature before I ask.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:21 PM
abe g
Racer

Default heater core leak

First, have you tried stopleak? If this works I would give some time to prove seal and forget it. If leak requires repair, you dont ned air to blow anything out, plastic sheet on floor (or newspaper can do). Amount of water is minimum. Suggest you send out core for repair before ordering a new one. I had original on my 63 repaired over 30 years ago and still good! Good luck, Abe G

Get notified of new replies

To 1961 Corvette Heater Core Bypass

Quick Reply: 1961 Corvette Heater Core Bypass