C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Smoking ballast resistor

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 12:48 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
Psssssssst! Let you in on a little something else! Most people I know did not/do not carry a roadside emergency kit!

Back then, women wore bobby pins in their hair. Ever think of jumping a burnt resistor with a bobby pin?

my thoughts were about jumping something else......
Old 03-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Yeah - and people used to put a copper penny in their home fuse box to replace a blown fuse...and there WAS no 9-1-1 back then !!
Old 03-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Possibly the comments about a smoking or smoked BR are meant two different ways- literally and figuratively.

If the ignition is left on and there is oil or paint on the BR it will get hot enough to 'burn off' the contaminants producing visible smoke, but without the BR itself failing or burning out.

Having worked for an engine OEM in the aviation industry, we used to see components occasionally returned from the field with a tag reading that it had been 'smoked' as slang saying that it had 'failed'. In one occasion a newb inspector put a record in the engine history file stating that the engine had been destroyed in a fire. Other times we would see tags using the word 'toast'.

I'm sure that with bazillions of cars that were out there with ceramic block BRs and owners innocently leaving the keys on would have given notice to a design problem if there was one to start with.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:12 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by midyearvette
my thoughts were about jumping something else......
.......you mean AFTER the car quit and BEFORE you picked up one of the bobby pins you knocked loose?

Old 03-15-2011, 01:16 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MikeM
.......you mean AFTER the car quit and BEFORE you picked up one of the bobby pins you knocked loose?

hehe
Old 03-15-2011, 07:34 PM
63splitter
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thank you all so much for your input

Thanks everyone for jumping in and offering your suggestions. I am starting to think I should just keep the BR in the car and keep the points (yes, I actually like changing and adjusting them). I will just learn not to leave the ignition in the ON position and if I have to so that I can check some wiring or listen to the radio with my girlfriend (boy, will my wife be mad), I'll pull the + wire off the coil first.

I love all the dialog that goes on in these long threads. There is so much knowledge in this forum. That's what makes restoring this 60 and becoming a "Corvette Guy" again so much fun. My streetrodding days are over (but boy driving a 750hp blown ****** sure was a blast).

Take care and thanks again,

Rick
Old 03-15-2011, 11:11 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

glad youre going to keep it!
just keep some extra parts, you can spend more time in the garage now drinking beer
and i agree it's fun to change points.....
Old 03-17-2011, 12:53 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

I owned my 65 for nearly 20 years before I had the misfortune to leave the key in the 'On' position with the points apparently closed and it did indeed fry my ballast resistor. It was the original one from all I could tell though so no doubt had aged somewhat.

Quick Reply: Smoking ballast resistor