C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 driving in the real world

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 08:41 AM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default C1 driving in the real world

After just posting a thread about roof leaks on C1s and most agreeing they all leak and some pretty badly what about the ride, seats postion. We all know the TV show route 66 which helped bring fame and sales to the Corvette about these two guys traveling the county in a Corvette but can you really drive a C1 several hundred miles without back problems? Is the seating position confortable enough to spend say three to seven hours behind the wheel. Or were these car just really made for short trips around town or to the local drag strip. You have to understand some of us drive newer Corvettes and never spend time in the cars we really love that is why I am asking. I spend many hours in cars of the same vintage and never found them troubling on long trips except maybe they got hot inside because most cars had no AC. But aside from poor handling and braking they were pretty confortable and practical. What about the C1? Was Buzz and Tod Corvette ride pure myth?
Old 03-20-2011, 08:50 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

I took a 210 mile round trip in my bone stock '61 down the Eastern Florida coast to Rich5962's shop to pick up some NOS parts he was nice enough to sell me last week. Close to 4 hours and covered interstates, old Florida back roads and a stint across Rich's large grassy property. No problem, no back pain, it was bouncy at some point but not unacceptable. Now, driving top down, at speed, in the Florida sun and heat will wear your butt out in about an hour but that's nothing to do with the car.

Remember the Corvette suspension is the same one that was in most passenger cars in the '50s that your Mom used to haul the kids and groceries in with an occasional cross-country jaunt to Grandma's house.

I think age and lack of maintenance is what makes many modern driver's gripe. I routinely took 3 hour trips on my old Kawasaki motorcycle in the '60s and partied at the end of the ride.

Since you've posted twice about the "C1 experience" you may want to read the British comprehensive analysis of a new 1961 Corvette shortly after they came out:
http://www.c1registry.com/downloads/...e_Analysis.pdf

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-20-2011 at 08:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
carl3989 (01-24-2023)
Old 03-20-2011, 09:21 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

It's been a few years back, but my wife and I drove our '57 & '61 about 550 miles to our new home. No ill effects, we were pretty busy waving to kids of all ages.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:26 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 729 Likes on 623 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

i have driven my 62 as far as 660 miles (11 hours) at a stretch (with stops for gas, etc..) with no discomfort other than the miserable interior heat (with the top up).
Bill
Old 03-20-2011, 10:31 AM
devildog
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: fighter pilots make movies, bomber pilots make history
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive my 61 everywhere. I have a new Corvette (business auto) which is yes quite and cooler, but the 61 is more fun.

I have driven the 61 to the BG Cruise-in several times from Houston in a group of Corvettes. But, one time after the BG week-end, continued on alone through Indiana and Ohio to a college reunion.

I returned from N. Ohio alone to Houston with an overnight stop in Arkansas with an old friend. Had no problems but a radiator hose popped off 5 miles from home. No concerns with tool box in trunk and 1911 Colt between seat.

Now with the new T-45 5 speed, it is whole new cruising machine, and I am even more likely to drive on a day long trip. When I get some time, will drive from Houston to Portland OR (wife probably only ride one way).

Suspension is stock and comfortable, radial tires have added much comfort from the ride 43 years ago when I drove it cross country routinely.

Drive them and enjoy them.

Joe

Last edited by devildog; 03-20-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:44 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

I did mis-state things a little, I, like DevilDog, have installed a 5-speed overdrive, so I'm not entirely "bone-stock".

I can't tell you how much more enjoyable interstate driving is. Not having that solid-lifter 283 spun up and whirring around madly at 3,800 RPM makes traveling MUCH more enjoyable.

HOWEVER, people routinely driving their classic cars need to check their insurance; not every insurance carrier covers trips up to the 7/11 for milk or to the local bank. You need to have a long-distance towing package too...via classic car insurance or Triple-A Plus. If you break down in Bubbaville with a major problem and no local, decent repair facilities it can get real dicey. One advantage of the Solid Axle Corvette Club is a list of members living in various parts of the country that are willing to lend assistance. They might not come out and get "greasy" (then again they might -- I would) on your car but can recommend repair places or lend tools or get you off the highway to safety at least.

I prefer my laser-sighted, 13oz Ruger LCR in .38spl +P for social engagements and for lightweight C1 LEGAL carry. I have a special (undisclosed) location for it in the tight confines of the '61.

No offense, but FBI statistics now make Orlando the 3rd most dangerous city in the COUNTRY -- even ahead of Detroit:
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...s-of-fbi-crime
and my car attracts some "unwanted attention" at times from the WRONG kinds of people.

So much for the "happiest place on Earth".

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-20-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:01 AM
dbacr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Highway driving is great. No problems and lot's of fun. It's the stop and go city traffic that gets me. Mind you that i am 6'4", so seat and steering wheel position wear me out after a few hours. No assisted power anything doesn't help either.
I'm torn because I love my '62, but I am more comfortable in a C2.
If I were shorter my '62 would be perfect.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:23 PM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't have any problems with long trip in my 62 but I have JMR suspension in the front and a 5-speed.I likewise have a new 2010 GS but the wow factor is the C-1.The attention they bring is unbelievable.
AwakeAtTheWheel (01-23-2023)
Old 03-20-2011, 12:28 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I drove my '61 everywhere and in any kind of weather, including snow, for several years in the late 1970's.

The car never leaked except for one annoying drip that found my left knee, and that was just becuase the header weather strip was original.

I cruised for hours in it, often, drove from Bozeman, MT to Alvin TX and back, the back trip was a straight through drive, about 36 hours. Probably logged 40K miles in 6 years.

I don't daily drive anymore mostly becuase I don't trust the other idiot (and often uninsured illegal alien) drivers around here, but take it on 3-4 hour one way trips occasionally.

Doug
Old 03-20-2011, 12:35 PM
Bill Pilon
Burning Brakes

Received 224 Likes on 139 Posts

We drive our 60 vette which is as stock as I can keep it, including bias ply tires, from Hinesville, Ga to Oswego, NY on a regular basis. It takes about 16 hours and the top is down most of the time, great fun.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:08 PM
tommyn
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I have driven my 60 270 dual quad 4 spd across counrty twice on HotRod magazines power tour. 2000 from AZ to the starting point in CA then across to FL. From FL up to Bowling green on to Bloomongton IL then back home to AZ. 2001 from AZ to start in MI across rt 66 to CA then home to AZ. First year I broke a valve spring fixed in the hotel lot and the second year lost the gen belt. Both minor issues considering the mileage covered. I am usually more beat up after driving down Arizona's 89A from Sedona to Prescot Valley. When I live in AZ full time I drove the 60 daily (had a secure parking garage). Never an issue.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:09 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 208 Likes on 150 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

53 to 55 has the softest, widest , largest seats Corvette ever had, making it comfortable to sit in .Our 55 is not much different then driving a 55 car. Suspension is stock and comfortable with radial tires . From the day I did a body off setting the speedometer back to zero till today we've added 118,000 miles on her going around the country three times. Never have we ever met an other Corvette person that was not wonderful to use if help was needed .Only on hot 100 temperature days we wise we had AC, other wise OK. Our 55 has only let use down four times and it was always a miner thing. I've added a few accessories and after market items to make our trips better and safer like a hitch to pull a tear drop trailer ( the best thing I ever added) for luggage and buying parts and carry parts. GM hand spot light, tissue box,inside look-out-mirrors , right side mirror,engine heater and so much more to mention.
I think most complaints from C1 owners is not rebuilding,adjusting, restoring parts correct and personal size. I'm 70 and still get a thrill driving the 55 and the wife still loves going along . The only problem is when we stop for gas or food trying to leave. (but we love talking about our 55 to people),
This is the trip to Bend Oregon last summer
Old 03-20-2011, 01:38 PM
scopeli
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

later C1s are more comfortable due to more cockpit room. the most important improvement for comfort and driving is radial tires. to completely enjoy the ride on a c1 and realize how well a c1 could perform a set of radials is a must.
carl3989 (01-24-2023)
Old 03-20-2011, 02:31 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,585 Likes on 2,170 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

They ride like a typical old car. Basically a chassis like a 54 Chevy. I drove my 61 to Carlisle about 5 years ago. 1,000 mile round trip. Didn't beat me up at all. Radial tires and good shocks will help alot.
Midyears are more comfortable. Certainly not like driving the new Corvettes with AC and all the creature comforts, but the mystique and nostalgia of the solid axle cars just never gets old.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:56 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

From 1974 to 1976 I had a 1960 Corvette and it was my only car. Since it was my daily driver I drove it to school, job, dates, etc. It leaked a little, but here in So Cal we didn't see much rain. I'm 6'4" and it didn't bother me a bit. I had a 350 turbo tranny in it so not working a clutch and shifter meant I could sit in any position to stay comfy.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ps374
After just posting a thread about roof leaks on C1s and most agreeing they all leak and some pretty badly what about the ride, seats postion. We all know the TV show route 66 which helped bring fame and sales to the Corvette about these two guys traveling the county in a Corvette but can you really drive a C1 several hundred miles without back problems? Is the seating position confortable enough to spend say three to seven hours behind the wheel. Or were these car just really made for short trips around town or to the local drag strip. You have to understand some of us drive newer Corvettes and never spend time in the cars we really love that is why I am asking. I spend many hours in cars of the same vintage and never found them troubling on long trips except maybe they got hot inside because most cars had no AC. But aside from poor handling and braking they were pretty confortable and practical. What about the C1? Was Buzz and Tod Corvette ride pure myth?

First, remember Buzz and Todd were driving a NEW Corvette. It would be no different than filming it today and them driving a '11 Z06 or Grand Sport.

Second, remember that time changes the view of everything, and while in 1960, jumping in a '58 Chevy and heading out on a 2000 mile trip was not a strange thing to do (family vacations were often that long or longer), you would be less likely to do that today in a '58 Chevy. Why? It was two years old in 1960 and it is 53 years old today.

And you are used to more comfort in cars. Modern cars are FAR more comfortable to the point you cruise at 80 and 90 mph and most likely do not know it if you aren't driving or looking at the speedometer. While the old ones were often driven those speeds, you did know it.

Third, not all old Corvettes are in as good as shape as their owners believe. Restored is not the same from one person to another, so while one restored car is essentially new, the other may only be cosmetically new.

Fourth, lots of people drive them long distance, but then they are usually younger. Old age changes your perceptions greatly. We all drove those cars far when we were 20, but at 60, many really appreciate power steering, air conditioning, a nice stereo, and more.

Go drive it. If you like it, keep driving. If you don't, then only do short trips. It isn't like someone has a gun to your head forcing you to do it.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:02 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I would do 1450 miles one way in new FI Vettes with either 4.1 or a 4.56 gear in 24 hours between Dearborn and Coral Gables several times without a hitch except one speeding ticket in Atlanta....and that was before I-75 was totally competed....one trip was all rain, start to finish and everything inside and out including the trunk was soaked. The windshield just kept the rain off my face....However a couple of days of Miami heat dryed the Vette out......

Get notified of new replies

To C1 driving in the real world

Old 03-20-2011, 05:09 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,788 Posts

Ive driven my '58 on a few rides back and forth to Chicago (200 miles one way) without issue. Car is pretty close to stock, no modern upgrades. I am not real tall which could affect someone else.

I would say the key to my car's driveability was the essential upgrade to radial tires. no brainer. They still look good.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Audiophobe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by dbacr
Highway driving is great. No problems and lot's of fun. It's the stop and go city traffic that gets me. Mind you that i am 6'4", so seat and steering wheel position wear me out after a few hours. No assisted power anything doesn't help either.
I'm torn because I love my '62, but I am more comfortable in a C2.
If I were shorter my '62 would be perfect.

-I'm a big guy too and my seats (58) appear to be original. When the hardtop is on it's pretty comical to see me get in. Even though I expect that top to be low I hit my head every time. The top off and the convertible down is great. Still it's snug and my bones get stiff after a while.
Al Knock will redo the original seats with more room in mind. It lowers the seats about 2 inches and gives you a few more inches of leg room.
This is my next big thing to do. (They also make custom recliners.)
-Next is the rear end which is a 4:11 so I'm at about 3300-3500rpm at 60-65 mph. It's not a big deal but I do wish it was a little more hwy. friendly.
-The radio reception sucks so I use a radio app through my phone.
-The biggest issue for me is having to watch the weather. With my wipers not working at the moment and my defroster not working, not to mention that the tops (conv. or hard) are pretty much to keep 50% of the rain out, rain is the greatest fear. I always double check the weather.

That being said, I really love driving the car and can't wait for a chance, in good weather, to take a cruise. I think the seats will help alot, but you can't compare it to newer cars like my wife's Audi with 8 way seats, heated, and lumbar support adjustment.

Last edited by Audiophobe; 03-20-2011 at 06:00 PM.
carl3989 (01-24-2023)
Old 03-20-2011, 07:06 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 430 Likes on 320 Posts

Based on the comforts we NOW take for granted in our daily rides, the C-1 has caught up quite a bit since radial tires, better gearing options, and improved electronics have come along. I think these cars are a hell of a lot more drivable now than they were 40 years ago. Pilot Dan

Quick Reply: C1 driving in the real world