C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

carpet replacement ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 11:27 AM
rovers2000
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default carpet replacement ?

So I am looking at getting new carpet from corvette america for the 65. I was wondering what kind of time is involved in replacing the carpet? Are we talkingt sunday afternoon for a 3 day project.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 7,028 Likes on 4,831 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

depends on how much of while I am here I mine as well fix and restore creeps up
Old 04-17-2011, 03:53 PM
Bruce Wayne
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rovers2000
So I am looking at getting new carpet from corvette america for the 65. I was wondering what kind of time is involved in replacing the carpet? Are we talkingt sunday afternoon for a 3 day project.

Thanks
Just did my 66.

Removal, scraping and cleanup (Cough, cough)on a friday. (Wear a mask)

Dynamated everywhere and redyed quarter panel covers, console side covers and refurbished and lubricated seat mechanisms plus removed, masked, taped and painted console, replaced seatbacks on Saturday

Sunday Installed new carpeting with considerable trials trimming and retrials before gluing.
Reinstalled covers, seats and console. (Don't forget to replace shift boot)

Finished in time for cocktail hour on sunday.

It's a good 12-15 hour job at a relaxed pace.
Unless you get project creep and wind up doing a frame off.

PS be real careful when you trim...you can't put it back. Little bites at a time.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:42 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Will '66 rugs fit in a '63? It looks like you carpets are one piece in the front, the '63 is 4 pieces and I'd rather have no seams if possible.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:10 PM
Bruce Wayne
Drifting

Originally Posted by KC John
Will '66 rugs fit in a '63? It looks like you carpets are one piece in the front, the '63 is 4 pieces and I'd rather have no seams if possible.
I think the answer is yes, but if you're gonna go through the trouble, why not use the '63 design. It's more work cause there are alot of pieces, but it sure looks great when it's finished.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:47 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

My car is so far from stock that being the correct carpet doesn't matter to me. The reason I'd like fewer pieces is it would be easier to keep clean. Not as many places for stuff to hide.

This time of year my car is riddled with crap falling out of the trees as they bud out and drop their seeds. I also have a yellow lab that is pure white and gets hair all over the place, including the garage and it's a pain to get out of the seams in the black carpet.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:45 AM
rovers2000
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

so what do you guys use for glue to hold the carpet down?
Old 04-19-2011, 08:18 AM
kidvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take your time with cleaming and fitting. It helps if you set your new carpet in the sun to soften up before installation. This helps it conform to the contours of your interior area. I used 3m spray carpet glue when I installed mine. Good Luck
Old 04-19-2011, 09:10 AM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 448 Likes on 205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

Right or Wrong here is what I did, perhaps it will help. ==> Click Here

George

Last edited by Black_Magic; 04-19-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:54 AM
ratpack1968
Pro

It took me two days to get the job done right. Removing the old adhesive can be a chore so you will want to budget plenty of time for that. The new carpet is likely to be somewhat stiff and out of shape when you unpack it so you will want to lay it in the sun for a few hours to soften up and take shape. You will want to lay the carpet in the car and work it smooth. If any trimming is necessary, be sure to always leave a little more than you think you will need - especially around the console and door sills. Since the carpet is moulded you will probably find that adhesive isn't really necessary - the door sills and console should hold it in place just fine. Though I did use a little 3M adhesive toward the top of the footwells. Again, be very, very careful when trimming and always leave a little more than you think you need. Also, you can do a search on this forum for the correct/proper way to cut the flap for the front seat brackets.

Behind the seats requires a little more patience, clamps, weights and adhesive. Though the carpet is moulded for the wheel wells, the fit isn't always exactly right so you will want to work it carefully and use weights and clamps to hold in place until the adhesive dries. This was the most frustrating part of the install for me, but with some patience it can be done and done right.

Good luck!
Old 04-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Bruce Wayne
Drifting

When I glued the pieces in the rear I used Divers weights to hold the pieces down. These are basically bean bags filled with shot that weigh five to ten pounds. Because they're malleable they can be placed anywhere. Ask around to see if you have any friends who are divers and borrow them.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:01 PM
gwalker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Removing the old carpet and scraping will be the longest part of the job. Once you get it all out and clean dry fit ALL pieces so you know where to trim and in what order they go back down. It should take one long day, but I would plan on atleast one weekend. You will find other things to do WHILE YOU ARE THERE.

Easy job, have fun and take your time.

Greg
Old 04-22-2011, 08:57 AM
rovers2000
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

thanks everyone for the info.

Get notified of new replies

To carpet replacement ?

Quick Reply: carpet replacement ?