C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

beware of repro turn signal cancelling cams!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 08:52 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

Default beware of repro turn signal cancelling cams!

just wanted all to be aware of an issue i uncovered with a reproduction turn signal cancelling cam that i recently installed.

since installing, along with a new turn signal switch, i was having trouble with my turn signal lever staying in either the down or up position. i had to hold it to keep the blinker on.

then today when i started working on wiring for some new horns (the car has not had horns for awhile) i discovered the horn button was not creating a ground connection for the black ground wire which attaches to the horn relay. (more on that to follow in a separate thread.)

as it turns out, part of the problem was that the horn contact bushing in the steering wheel was not making good contact with the ground ring. it's a good thing i'm slow to clean up in the garage..

i found the old cancelling cam and measured the height.. sure enough, it is .02" shorter than the new part. this was causing both of my problems.. the new part, being taller, was pressing on the turn signal switch assembly, making the lever not operate properly and also keeping the horn contact bushing from making solid contact.

i put the old cancelling cam back in and now everything works as it should!
Old 05-01-2011, 09:11 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,033 Likes on 672 Posts

Mikey, I found this same basic problem on my 65 about a year ago. I bought my 65 'project car' back in '85 and wound up doing a full body off...not to make it correct but because it was in such bad shape. Anyway, all the repairs, inside and out, were done back in the late 80's. The car sat in storage for the last 20 years so it didn't get any real road miles, maybe something like 200 tops. Once I got it out of mothballs, one of the annoying issues (among many) was the turn signal setup. It typically wouldn't let me click the lever to fully engage the turn signal mechanism. Now that it was time to get the car finally road worthy, I pulled it apart and found the cancelling cam was longer than it should have been and it interfered with the turn signal mechanical setup. Shaved off about an eighth of an inch and now it works fine.
Mike T.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:50 PM
davewh
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am going to install a new cancelling cam could tell me where you got yours so I can avoid the same problems.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:50 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

i bought from long island corvette.. rest assured, i've had great service on most every part from long island over the years, i'd consider this an anomoly in dealing with this vendor..

i'm not sure that anyone makes one in the correct length. i find a lot of vendors have the same supplier for many parts..

as Mike T. indicated, you could fix it by shaving the new part if it is too long. I threw the old part back in since it wasn't broken and I wasn't sure how much the new part could be shaved and have it still work, nor was I sure if I could shave it evenly.

I guess I have a spare now, that I can shave in the future if I need to. My main issue in this whole project was the broken horn contact spring bushing assembly anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To beware of repro turn signal cancelling cams!

Quick Reply: beware of repro turn signal cancelling cams!