C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Start of C2 restoration > please some advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 12:29 PM
KimBorgers
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start of C2 restoration > please some advice

Hello,

I'm going to start next month with the body off restoration of my fathers 1965 C2. I would like to ask you guys some questions about the engine. We checked the serial numbers and they match, so original engine. I suspect that the engine has been rebuild in its previous life with different performance parts like the camshaft, headers, carburettor, etc. This is not a bad thing, because the engine goes really good. Do you guys know perhaps a website with the original engine specs. of this engine, like ignition timing, valve timing, ect?
The engine number is 114498 8HF. Does anyone knows if this engine was original with an Holley carburettor?
All information is welcome.

Best regards,

Kim
Old 05-03-2011, 12:50 PM
bobwoodkat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kim,
Welcome to the first step in your restoration. I too am about to start on a ground up restoration of a 66 vert. I have been on the forum everyday for the past 3 months and any question you have has either been answered or can be answered here. I wish I had this site at my disposal when I took my car apart 30 years ago. My suggestion to you is that you spend at least a couple months reading old and new posts before you take one part off your car. Believe me there are things needed to be considered before you start your project. This will become evident once you spend time reading here. Another important thing is to take a TON of pictures they will come in handy when you need a answer on something because if you can post a picture it is easier for guys to give you the proper answer to your questions. Also buy all the books you can, every question you might have is in the different books. NCRS website has most of what you need.

Good luck
Bob
Old 05-03-2011, 01:06 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by KimBorgers
Hello,

The engine number is 114498 8HF. Does anyone knows if this engine was original with an Holley carburettor?
All information is welcome.

Best regards,

Kim
Is that number stamped on the front block pad? Do you have a close-up photo? It doesn't have the format that's typical. Also need the block casting number (driver's side, on rear flange of block, behind cylinder head) and the block casting date (same area, passenger side, about 6" toward the passenger side from the distributor.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:41 PM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Your stamp pad should look something like these pictures. This is the information you need to give.

Now along with that, you should check the casting number on the rear bellhousing flange on the driver's side and the date code, also on the bellhousing flange behind the distributor.

Casting Number

Date Code Casting

Post pictures of yours or include that information and someone will have all the answers for you here.

Get notified of new replies

To Start of C2 restoration > please some advice

Quick Reply: Start of C2 restoration > please some advice