C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Holley fuel fitting

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 12:13 PM
bluovl
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Holley fuel fitting

I have a 67 with a 427/390 and a Holley 3811. My question is if the compression fitting on the fuel line going into the carb should have a gasket. Or should I be using Teflon tape?

Thanks Peter
Old 05-12-2011, 12:32 PM
67*427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

No sealer, no tape. Assuming it's a stock fitting, it is a flare fitting and seals without any additional items required.

Steve

Originally Posted by bluovl
I have a 67 with a 427/390 and a Holley 3811. My question is if the compression fitting on the fuel line going into the carb should have a gasket. Or should I be using Teflon tape?

Thanks Peter
Old 05-12-2011, 12:34 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks Peter
if you are asking about the large bowl fitting, yes it takes a gasket but it is not a compression fitting that know of.....
Old 05-12-2011, 12:37 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Thanks Peter
There's no compression fitting at that fuel inlet connection. The large hex adapter fitting uses a thin circular steel gasket at the fuel bowl inlet side, and the fuel line tube nut uses an SAE flare fitting with no gasket (just like a brake line fitting); it seals at the flare, not in the threads.
Attached Images  
Old 05-13-2011, 03:11 PM
67BETE
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know both items are suppose to seal on their own, but we all know that doesn't always happen for a variety of reasons. I have had to use the white thread sealing goop (forget the name) on both to make sure there is no gas leakage. May be overkill, but well worth it in my mind.

Kirk
Old 05-13-2011, 03:52 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by 67BETE
I know both items are suppose to seal on their own, but we all know that doesn't always happen for a variety of reasons. I have had to use the white thread sealing goop (forget the name) on both to make sure there is no gas leakage. May be overkill, but well worth it in my mind.

Kirk
The TFE white pipe dope (or a little anti-seize or oil) on the threads of the tube nut is helpful in that it reduces thread friction or galling, and you'll get a better mechanical seal at the flare surface with much less torque applied to the tube nut. You're only sealing 6-7 psi, not the 1500 psi you'll see in a brake line.

Get notified of new replies

To Holley fuel fitting

Quick Reply: Holley fuel fitting