C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Original or not

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 10:59 AM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Default Original or not

Just thinking and wondering how many people install a Corvette Central part or other dealer parts to ether get their Corvette on the road or replace a bad part and then never change it or look for the original parts. The reason I'm asking because I see so many repro parts that will work but are not like the original design part. More then half of restored Corvettes I see getting a top flight have repro parts installed . The more this continual's new people will think those parts are original and the original part is wrong. In time many Corvettes will be a kit car. I'm not against using repro parts or the makers and know it's hard to locate them and the price will be high BUT!!!!
Maybe it doesn't matter but I like knowing I drive a original Corvette having original parts, is it just me or I'm I wrong to bring this subject up???

Lets leave or talk about MOD Corvettes "out" because I like them too.

Last edited by 1955 copper; 05-15-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:03 PM
56Heap
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Original seems to have different meanings. They are only original once. If you replace a part with a NOS part it is still not original. JMO
Old 05-15-2011, 01:16 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 1955 copper
More then half of restored Corvettes I see getting a top flight have repro parts installed .
I'd say the number is 99.9% when speaking of the C1/C2 cars.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:39 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

2015 C1 of Year

Originally Posted by 56Heap
Original seems to have different meanings. They are only original once. If you replace a part with a NOS part it is still not original. JMO

Once you cut your hair it's also not original but it's gets replaced with original hair.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:47 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

The reason I'm asking because I see so many repro parts that will work but are not like the original design part. More then half of restored Corvettes I see getting a top flight have repro parts installed .
What other options are there? Found any NOS seat covers lately?

The more this continual's new people will think those parts are original and the original part is wrong.
That's where the value of organizations (NCRS, and your SACE) add significant value, in capturing and documenting correct versus incorrect (with a degree of error).

In time many Corvettes will be a kit car.
Is any restoration different than a kit car? Sure my 62 looks just like it did when new, but many many soft and consumable parts had to be replaced so it is merely a facsimile of what it once was. Even your own 55 is a representation of what that car was originally - unless every single part on your car today, was on that very car when it rolled off the assembly line.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:54 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
What other options are there? Found any NOS seat covers lately?

That's where the value of organizations (NCRS, and your SACE) add significant value, in capturing and documenting correct versus incorrect (with a degree of error).

Is any restoration different than a kit car? Sure my 62 looks just like it did when new, but many many soft and consumable parts had to be replaced so it is merely a facsimile of what it once was. Even your own 55 is a representation of what that car was originally - unless every single part on your car today, was on that very car when it rolled off the assembly line.
Yes, I think that's what they're trying to do with Bloomington Gold Benchmark cars. These cars are supposed to be all original and unrestored just as they left the showroom. I think there are only 100 or so that have met this designation.

-- Steve
Old 05-15-2011, 01:57 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

What MOD part would you like to talk about first?

Only part on my 64 Coupe that has not been modified is the top center section. All the rest including Birdcage have been modified.

Last edited by Poorhousenext; 05-15-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:13 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

2015 C1 of Year

I might be crazy but I think a kit car is different then restored car.

I know it would be hard to find NOS seat covers, weatherstripping , oil, air and dust when they were new BUT!!!
Don't you think some one would rather use a dealer original replacement part or repro, it may not have come on the car when new but would be new and original . You replace a original NOS air cleaner , is it now not an original Corvette but a kit car?
Old 05-15-2011, 02:19 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Don't you think some one would rather use a dealer original replacement part or repro, it may not have come on the car when new but would be new and original . You replace a original NOS air cleaner , is it now not an original Corvette but a kit car?
I'd rather get my car on the road now and look for better parts later, than to have my restoration incomplete decades because I was only going with NOS parts. Eventually the NOS parts will dry up completely.

I was lucky, when I began restoring my 62 in 1981 I could still get a lot of parts from Chevrolet, all I had to do was provide the original part number to my parts guy and he'd hunt parts down in the warehouses for me.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:20 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I might be crazy but I think a kit car is different then restored car.

I know it would be hard to find NOS seat covers, weatherstripping , oil, air and dust when they were new BUT!!!
Even most of the dealer parts are not original but non USA import replacements. Other than NOS, you pretty much have to use replacements parts, at some point in time. The best we can do, is try for USA made parts .
Old 05-15-2011, 02:26 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

That's why we have auto parts stores, when new and something broke on these things you went to the local parts store or dealer and replaced it....original was not important to the first time owners but some of these cars have changed hands countless times without any regard to originality...I think the emphasis on original is good for bench discussions but is a waste of time and breath....I want my cars to run every time and if they need something that breaks it will be replaced with a new later improved part if feasible and not some refurbished old worn out original part from another 'original car...after a while it just becomes a game .......one that I want no 'part' of.....
Old 05-15-2011, 04:02 PM
92GTA
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The very few reproductions parts I have used (25 parts or less I think) I have been keeping a list of. I needed them to get the car done but as I come across originals I will buy them as funds permit and replace the reproductions parts and sell the repro second hand. To me it adds to the long term value if all parts are assembly line or NOS and not reproduction. Also personally, I enjoy the game of finding all of the original or NOS parts that I need.

I also prefer original parts over NOS. For example, I would rather have a used original part from someone else's car than paying top dollar for an NOS part. Let the guys who are restoring for show have the NOS parts. Used original parts much better fit the patina of my car anyway. If they are going to throw away used original parts during their restoration in favor of NOS, I'll take the use originals all day long and save money

Some things will just never be original or NOS, like my tires, carpet, seat form & covers, rubber pieces here and there like the gas door stoppers or the door striker stoppers. Engine gaskets, carb gaskets, battery, bulbs, soft top, etc. Those things don't bother me as I would eat through them in the time I enjoy my car anyway. That's not to say that I don't have NOS of these items in boxes in my garages, some I do like carb gaskets, fuel filters, oil filters, etc. and I would never use them unless restoring my car to 100% show/trailer queen otherwise why waste them.

Of course if an original or NOS cannot be found at all, I do accept a reproduction but ONLY if it's precise, which is so few and far between it's ridiculous.

Last edited by 92GTA; 05-15-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:29 PM
skeew
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default original or not

I bought a new 62 340HP 4 speed and restoration began almost immeadiately in the following order.

Clutch and throwout brg....rear tires...points and plugs. :-)
Old 05-15-2011, 04:59 PM
32361ARTHUR
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Those of us who don't give a damn about weather something is original or not have it easy. If originality is such a big deal it must be a bummer to drive for any distance knowing that its wearing out the original parts and they won't ever be able to be replaced with anything but a repro or non original part. Also thinking the value goes down anytime you wish for AC or a better sound system or an overdrive or some other color or something else that didn't come stock. It would really be important to get the exact car you want from the start knowing you will never be able to change anything or in your mind it will be ruining it.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:15 PM
knockbill
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

very interesting topic,,,, seems there are a lot of answers, depending on who you ask, and how they use their car...
to me, original is the way it came from teh factory, any parts you change aren't original,,,oem or new old stock parts you find at carlisle are still replacement parts..
so,,, none of my cars are original,,,,,
Old 05-15-2011, 06:52 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by knockbill

........................to me, original is the way it came from teh factory, any parts you change aren't original,,,oem or new old stock parts you find at carlisle are still replacement parts..
so,,, none of my cars are original,,,,,
Well, to me......................

As long as it was a production part in the year in question, whether it came originally on my car or not, it's original. And that includes the engine or any accessories I might like.

I'm not a fan of repop, nice and shiny but I will spring for a part like that rather than pay some outrageous price for a rare original.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Old 05-15-2011, 07:12 PM
32361ARTHUR
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
Well, to me......................

As long as it was a production part in the year in question, whether it came originally on my car or not, it's original. And that includes the engine or any accessories I might like.

I'm not a fan of repop, nice and shiny but I will spring for a part like that rather than pay some outrageous price for a rare original.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Mike, I'm just wondering then if AC was available whenever your car was made but yours didn't come with it could you still put it in and call yours original? How about if yours came silver but they had red ones could you paint yours red and still call it original? Could you take out a powerglide and put in a four speed? Would you still call it original?

Get notified of new replies

To Original or not

Old 05-15-2011, 07:44 PM
56Heap
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once you cut your hair it's also not original but it's gets replaced with original hair.
Now you're splitting hairs
Old 05-15-2011, 07:45 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Just thinking and wondering how many people install a Corvette Central part or other dealer parts to ether get their Corvette on the road or replace a bad part and then never change it or look for the original parts. The reason I'm asking because I see so many repro parts that will work but are not like the original design part. More then half of restored Corvettes I see getting a top flight have repro parts installed . The more this continual's new people will think those parts are original and the original part is wrong. In time many Corvettes will be a kit car. I'm not against using repro parts or the makers and know it's hard to locate them and the price will be high BUT!!!!
Maybe it doesn't matter but I like knowing I drive a original Corvette having original parts, is it just me or I'm I wrong to bring this subject up???

are clear bubble tops considered a repro part?
Old 05-15-2011, 07:49 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by oldsarge
Even most of the dealer parts are not original but non USA import replacements. Other than NOS, you pretty much have to use replacements parts, at some point in time. The best we can do, is try for USA made parts .

Quick Reply: Original or not