C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66 Differential u-joint bolts

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 05:19 PM
remotecontroller
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 66 Differential u-joint bolts

Hey folks,

I have a 66 rear end with an AN code (when I decoded, it is for a small block posi 4 speed with 3:55 if I recall correctly). What I was wondering about is this rear end has threaded u-joint saddles for the half shafts with caps & bolts that secure the u-joints, and I thought all small block halfshaft u-joints used u-bolts to fasten the u-joints to the differential yokes.

Can someone shed some light on this for me?

As always, thanks in advance!!
Old 05-16-2011, 05:36 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by remotecontroller
Hey folks,

I have a 66 rear end with an AN code (when I decoded, it is for a small block posi 4 speed with 3:55 if I recall correctly). What I was wondering about is this rear end has threaded u-joint saddles for the half shafts with caps & bolts that secure the u-joints, and I thought all small block halfshaft u-joints used u-bolts to fasten the u-joints to the differential yokes.

Can someone shed some light on this for me?

As always, thanks in advance!!
Your interpretation of the codes are correct.

I would suspect that the differential has been apart before, and the previous owner exchanged/replaced a few parts.

Larry
Old 05-16-2011, 05:56 PM
remotecontroller
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Powershift
Your interpretation of the codes are correct.

I would suspect that the differential has been apart before, and the previous owner exchanged/replaced a few parts.

Larry
Larry - thanks for the response. So if it were "correct" it should be u-bolts, right?

Thanks again!
Old 05-16-2011, 06:07 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Larry - thanks for the response. So if it were "correct" it should be u-bolts, right?

Thanks again!
Correct. I just finished working on my 1967 327/350 HP rear end with AM code. My car has only 26,000 miles and is mostly original. U-bolt connections for both halfshafts and the driveshaft.

I suspect a previous owner of your car did some drag racing and added the big-block axles and connections as some extra protection for a a high-rpm "hole-shot" with slicks.

I have seen driveshafts come apart at the line or during the race and it causes all sorts of hell ......especially to the fiberglass.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:35 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Thanks again!
That is correct and I'm sure you can sell the cap style with ease.

Get notified of new replies

To 66 Differential u-joint bolts

Quick Reply: 66 Differential u-joint bolts