C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 Corvette Wiring Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 07:56 PM
MR 1JZ
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C2 Corvette Wiring Issues

Hello from Australia!

My Dad has just recently bought himself a C2 convertible over here, its a fantastic peice of machinery that was completely restored over in the States about 8 or 9 years ago, matching numbers car that is completely original with the posi rear, 4 speed box and high output 365HP 327.

We are having one small issue obtaining registration and that is the drivers side taillights not functioning at all.

I am pretty sure I have the issue narrowed down to the plug connector that joins the wiring from the dash/brake pedal switch to the rear brake lights, I have heard that they do corrode over time causing issues...the issue I am having is that I cannot locate the connection and dont want to go unnecessarily ripping the car apart to find it.

If someone could point me in the direction of it that would be great...can provide a scan of the wiring diagram to show the connector I am talking about if needed.

Any help is much appreciated as we are very eager to get this badboy registered!

Cheers

Matt
Old 06-13-2011, 08:18 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

First of all, welcome to the Forum. You have a lot of forum friends down under. Do the passenger side lights work ( both parking and brake)?

Don
Old 06-13-2011, 08:30 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Welcome aboard

Under the kick panel on the drivers side is the plug your looking for.
Check all grounds on rear lights and the center backup light should also be grounded.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:44 PM
MR 1JZ
6th Gear

Thanks for the welcome mate...I dont like to usually join forums and start asking for help straight away but I want to be really careful with this gem of a car!

and I apologise...its actually the passenger side lights that dont work...passenger side on LHD is Drivers side on RHD doh!

But yes the drivers side lights work fine
Old 06-13-2011, 08:44 PM
MR 1JZ
6th Gear

thanks 66jack...ill check it out tonight!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:46 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Welcome!

The two wires that connect the brake pedal switch to the wiring looks like this. It's the thing on the left.

However your note implies that the passenger side brake lights work, just not the driver's side. Thus, you have 2 things to check:

1) Check for good ground on the brake light housings. Originally a ground wire was connected to the rear mounting stud of each brake and tail light housing.

2) You may have an issue where the rear harness connects to the main dash harness. The two are joined via a large rectangle plug, which is normally clipped to the dash support just above your left knee (if you are sitting in the left seat) as shown in this photo (well, the photo shows where it'd be, but the plug is not in this photo):
Old 06-13-2011, 08:58 PM
MR 1JZ
6th Gear

Brilliant!

Thanks a lot guys

here is a picture of the car in question anyway

Old 06-13-2011, 09:15 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Here's a 65 diagram, may be very close. Shows the turn signal connections that the tail light goes through.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:45 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MR 1JZ
Brilliant!

Thanks a lot guys

here is a picture of the car in question anyway

Your dad did good mate!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-13-2011, 10:57 PM
gwalker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope you are doing something nice for him this sunday so he will let you drive that great looking car.

Is that a darker red paint down the side of the car?

Sent you and emial for wiring diagram.

Greg
Old 06-13-2011, 11:45 PM
MR 1JZ
6th Gear

Originally Posted by gwalker
I hope you are doing something nice for him this sunday so he will let you drive that great looking car.

Is that a darker red paint down the side of the car?

Sent you and emial for wiring diagram.

Greg
Actually ive got this for weekend duties:

so it will be great to just be able to go for a cruise together!

Thanks Greg I got your email...I suspect it is the same one I had printed off in A1 and laminated...thats what led me to suspect it was that connection plug which I have now located thanks to 62jeff

I cant wait to get home from work and get stuck into it to be honest!

And yes it is darker red paint in the vents...it would have to be my only gripe with the car!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:16 AM
OzVetteJohn
Heel & Toe

Matt,

I run a 65 coupe in Sydney and I have done a few upgrades - borgeson power sterring box etc

Did you get the rear lights going? One thing I noticed was the rear lights are wired through the turn indicator switch (so they bypass the rear lights when indicating a turn).

I replaced my indicator switch and found all this out the hard way. If your switch is crook that could cause the problem.

Any way call me any time on 0417 868 869

The red Vette looks sweet.

Regards,

John
Old 06-14-2011, 01:51 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by MR 1JZ
We are having one small issue obtaining registration and that is the drivers side taillights not functioning at all.
Are BOTH taillight functions dead (low-filament running lights and high-filament brake and turn signal lights), or just one function? The running lights are fed directly from the headlight switch, but the brake and turn signal lights are fed from the turn signal switch. I'd check the connections where the turn signal switch harness from the steering column joins the instrument panel harness with a curved "harmonica" connector.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:41 AM
MR 1JZ
6th Gear

thanks for your help with this one guys...it was that connector...someone has in the past effed up plugging it in and it was one bent pin...car can finally get some rego now!

now all we need is some nice weather but I dont think anyone here can help with that...or can they?

haha

Get notified of new replies

To C2 Corvette Wiring Issues

Quick Reply: C2 Corvette Wiring Issues