C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Converting '65 Rubber Fuel Line to Hard Line..Filter to Carb

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 06:06 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by 1965corvettecop
Good point... the gas seems to flow to pump by gravity even with filter though. So not sure it makes much difference, unless filter gets dirty?
I don't think there is anything wrong with the factory set up using the rubber line from the fuel filter to the carburetor inlet fitting provided it's a current SAE rubber fuel line.

Seems like GM used rubber on the engines with aluminum intake manifold as the 300hp engines used steel all the way. I am not sure if the rubber line insulated the fuel from heat off the aluminum intake, the factory fuel pump pressure is well below any pressure rating on the rubber so no need to worry there.

Never use compression fittings on a fuel line.

In 1966 all the lines were steel to the carburetor but keep in mind the engines shared the same carburetor so using the same line and carburetor saved $$$ and that may be all that there was to it.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:42 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Rubber lines over a hot intake are problematic.

Many use screw clamps and over tighten them causing seepage from damaged lines and the rubber deteriorates quickly during the rounds of baking heat and cooling down and vibration - not so much a matter of 5-1/2 lbs fuel pressure as aging. How many old cars have we all seen where the vacuum hoses were brittle and cracked ? Unlike the C1s, the base motor C2 carb inlets are hard to see under those massive air cleaners and so inspecting the lines regularly may take more effort than many care to do.

I wouldn't use them.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:30 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I would be 100 times more concerned about a needle/seat hanging open in a carb and flooding the top of the engine than I would a rubber fuel hose leaking as long as the hose wasn't twenty years old.

But I don't worry about the needle/seat deal (even though I've had it happen) so I don't worry about the rubber fuel hose(s).

PS

"My car has power steering so the alternator is mounted on the right side". New one on me!
Old 05-29-2014, 09:53 AM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

"My car has power steering so the alternator is mounted on the right side". New one on me!
so is mine

Last edited by vt65; 05-29-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:27 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Rubber lines over a hot intake are problematic.

Many use screw clamps and over tighten them causing seepage from damaged lines and the rubber deteriorates quickly during the rounds of baking heat and cooling down and vibration - not so much a matter of 5-1/2 lbs fuel pressure as aging. How many old cars have we all seen where the vacuum hoses were brittle and cracked ? Unlike the C1s, the base motor C2 carb inlets are hard to see under those massive air cleaners and so inspecting the lines regularly may take more effort than many care to do.

I wouldn't use them.
Can you explain to me how rubber hose holds up so well in a cooling system. The hose is subject to system pressure up to the radiator cap relief plus heating and cooling cycles and the coolant is ethylene glycol.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:54 AM
1965corvettecop
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
I would be 100 times more concerned about a needle/seat hanging open in a carb and flooding the top of the engine than I would a rubber fuel hose leaking as long as the hose wasn't twenty years old.

But I don't worry about the needle/seat deal (even though I've had it happen) so I don't worry about the rubber fuel hose(s).

PS

I changed my carb to a double pumper, and didn't want any ugly rubber lines. I would be fine with short rubber line to factory carb. My factory 2818 always seemed to have a leak, so I have it off for now. My car also was not a PS car from factory. When I bought the kit, the instructions said to move alternator to right side, so I followed them and did so. It is a facotry style PS set up though.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:00 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

I changed my carb to a double pumper, and didn't want any ugly rubber lines. I would be fine with short rubber line to factory carb. My factory 2818 always seemed to have a leak, so I have it off for now. My car also was not a PS car from factory. When I bought the kit, the instructions said to move alternator to right side, so I followed them and did so. It is a facotry style PS set up though.
If you have a 1965 Corvette the alternator should be factory mounted on the rt side. Does your car have A/C.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:03 AM
1965corvettecop
Instructor

Originally Posted by tbarb
Can you explain to me how rubber hose holds up so well in a cooling system. The hose is subject to system pressure up to the radiator cap relief plus heating and cooling cycles and the coolant is ethylene glycol.
I can't explain that one, except maybe because there is a lubricant in antifreeze? I know modern fuels with ethanol eat up rubber lines too. May even eat up steel lines over time. Parts store tried to sell me some green metal lines when I built my fuel line the other day. They said it was better with ethanol gas, but I didn't want the ugly things. I always keep an eye on everything in my car all the time. I just don't like ugly rubber lines with clamps everywhere.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:10 AM
1965corvettecop
Instructor

Originally Posted by tbarb
If you have a 1965 Corvette the alternator should be factory mounted on the rt side. Does your car have A/C.
No A/C. It was non PS car from factory, and was all stock when I got it. The alternator was on left side. Car had been restored, so maybe they put it on wrong side, I don't know? There were other things they messed up, so hard to say. There was a front brake rotor on rear of car, which I likely never figured out. Instructions for PS kit said if it was on left side to move it, so I thought it was normal, I can't say for sure. Car sure drives better with PS though. lol

Chris
Old 05-29-2014, 11:23 AM
1965corvettecop
Instructor

Default alternator

Another reason I mentioned the alternator, is the picture in this thread shows alternator on left side. Guess his is on wrong side then, or he removed his A/C? He shows how to make fuel line, and I had troubles due to alternator in the way. So, go back and look at that MikeM, since you seem to be negative Nancy in all these threads...
Old 05-29-2014, 11:35 AM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Another reason I mentioned the alternator, is the picture in this thread shows alternator on left side. Guess his is on wrong side then, or he removed his A/C? He shows how to make fuel line, and I had troubles due to alternator in the way. So, go back and look at that MikeM, since you seem to be negative Nancy in all these threads...
I believe the photo to which you are referring is of Hitch's 66, and 66's had the alternators on the left side from the factory.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:56 AM
1965corvettecop
Instructor

Originally Posted by stingrayl76
I believe the photo to which you are referring is of Hitch's 66, and 66's had the alternators on the left side from the factory.
It appears to be... I am pretty knowledgeable about corvettes, but I honestly don't know which side the alternator is supposed to be on from year to year. My car was supposed to get vintage A/C added to it at one time, so maybe they moved alternator for that? When I bought PS kit, guy asked if it was A/C car, which it wasn't. The pulley configuration required alternator on right side, so I moved it. I have other cars, so hard to know all about each one. This forum is very informative and almost everyone is nice. That MikeM guy is negative in almost every comment throughout this thing. If you don't want to help, go bother someone else is my point. I am a Police Detective, I deal with negative all day. I have cars to try to take me away from that...
Old 05-29-2014, 01:08 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

I

.... go back and look at that MikeM, since you seem to be negative

That MikeM guy is negative in almost every comment throughout this thing.

I know modern fuels with ethanol eat up rubber lines too.

I am a Police Detective, I deal with negative all day. I.
I hope your criminal investigations are more complete and accurate than your alternator location on a 1965 Corvette and your knowledge of rubber fuel hoses.

I have room for one more of your nasty PM's and then my PM box will be full.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:42 PM
1965corvettecop
Instructor

I hope your criminal investigations are more complete and accurate than your alternator location on a 1965 Corvette and your knowledge of rubber fuel hoses.

I have room for one more of your nasty PM's and then my PM box will be full.
I hope you were more helpful at your FOMOCO manufacturing job then you are on this forum too!
Old 05-29-2014, 03:36 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

It appears to be... I am pretty knowledgeable about corvettes, but I honestly don't know which side the alternator is supposed to be on from year to year. My car was supposed to get vintage A/C added to it at one time, so maybe they moved alternator for that? When I bought PS kit, guy asked if it was A/C car, which it wasn't. The pulley configuration required alternator on right side, so I moved it. I have other cars, so hard to know all about each one. This forum is very informative and almost everyone is nice. That MikeM guy is negative in almost every comment throughout this thing. If you don't want to help, go bother someone else is my point. I am a Police Detective, I deal with negative all day. I have cars to try to take me away from that...
I hope you were more helpful at your FOMOCO manufacturing job then you are on this forum too!
Yes, I was very well compensated for being helpful there. Thanks!

Could you recommend a good doughnut shop in Huntsville? I go through there a couple times a year. Maybe I could stop and you could buy me a cup of coffee and a doughnut. With yer cop discount, won't cost you too much and we could chat about the pressures of your job and how to handle it a little better without lashing out at members of this forum.

PS. Long, long time ago, I wanted to be a State Trooper. Or a municipal cop. Then I thought, nah................... All you see is the bad side of people, never the good. Time to move on.

Last edited by MikeM; 05-29-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:22 PM
1965corvettecop
Instructor

Yes, I was very well compensated for being helpful there. Thanks!

Could you recommend a good doughnut shop in Huntsville? I go through there a couple times a year. Maybe I could stop and you could buy me a cup of coffee and a doughnut. With yer cop discount, won't cost you too much and we could chat about the pressures of your job and how to handle it a little better without lashing out at members of this forum.

PS. Long, long time ago, I wanted to be a State Trooper. Or a municipal cop. Then I thought, nah................... All you see is the bad side of people, never the good. Time to move on.
Dont eat doughnuts... if you saw me you would know that. Now go get a mustang with your FOMOCO discount. Then take computer ***** with you to mustang forum with rest of ignorant people.

PS: like i said keep rude smart butt comments to yourself.. then someone will see good in you!
Old 05-29-2014, 04:58 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

PS: like i said keep rude smart butt comments to yourself.. then someone will see good in you!
I am surely glad you never wrote my annual reviews or signed any of my paychecks! I'd be dead meat!

PS. You sound overly aggressive like many of the rest of them and I think you may be borderline in violation of forum rules. Please try to control yourself before you get in trouble here!

Last edited by MikeM; 05-29-2014 at 05:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Converting '65 Rubber Fuel Line to Hard Line..Filter to Carb

Old 05-29-2014, 05:03 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Dont eat doughnuts... if you saw me you would know that. Now go get a mustang with your FOMOCO discount. Then take computer ***** with you to mustang forum with rest of ignorant people.

First time I ever heard anyone make MikeM look like the good guy in a debate. Speaking of rude, pot meet kettle.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:14 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

It appears to be... I am pretty knowledgeable about corvettes, but I honestly don't know which side the alternator is supposed to be on from year to year. My car was supposed to get vintage A/C added to it at one time, so maybe they moved alternator for that? When I bought PS kit, guy asked if it was A/C car, which it wasn't. The pulley configuration required alternator on right side, so I moved it. I have other cars, so hard to know all about each one. This forum is very informative and almost everyone is nice.
From '63-'65, all small-block alternators were on the passenger side (except with A/C, which moved them to the driver's side). '65 L-78 BB's had them on the driver's side. From '66-'67, ALL alternators (including BB's and A/C cars) were on the driver's side. Power steering has no effect on the location of the alternator on any engine.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:44 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
From '63-'65, all small-block alternators were on the passenger side (except with A/C, which moved them to the driver's side). '65 L-78 BB's had them on the driver's side. From '66-'67, ALL alternators (including BB's and A/C cars) were on the driver's side. Power steering has no effect on the location of the alternator on any engine.
Thanks John, it is possible to learn something new every day here ...

Quick Reply: Converting '65 Rubber Fuel Line to Hard Line..Filter to Carb