Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66 T.I. Amplifier location

Old 08-01-2011, 09:35 PM
my66vette

Default 66 T.I. Amplifier location

I have a 66 427, 425 HP car. I bought it without a T.I. ignition system. I have purchased the Distributor, Wiring Harness and Amplifier. When I purchased the car I was told it had a left front collision. As it seems, the fender & inner fender are newer. With this said, there are no holes where the old amplifier was mounted. Does anyone have a location diagram and/or send some pictures to show me the exact location on the inner fender it should go?
Thanks,
Old 08-01-2011, 11:02 PM
63Corvette
CF Senior Member

JohnZ should weigh in on this issue.
My memory is that the early TI amplifiers were located on the firewall, BUT that heat caused failures, SO that by the 1966 or 67 model year, the location was changed to the front (air side) of radiator support for air cooling purposes.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:08 PM
my66vette

I have a March car. I believe the location is in front of the left inter fender. That would make sense for air flow.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:19 PM
RestoMike
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by my66vette View Post
I have a 66 427, 425 HP car. I bought it without a T.I. ignition system. I have purchased the Distributor, Wiring Harness and Amplifier. When I purchased the car I was told it had a left front collision. As it seems, the fender & inner fender are newer. With this said, there are no holes where the old amplifier was mounted. Does anyone have a location diagram and/or send some pictures to show me the exact location on the inner fender it should go?
Thanks,
Assembly manual for '66 shows location for mounting of the K66 box.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:21 PM
66jack
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by my66vette View Post
Thanks,
here ya go

Old 08-01-2011, 11:23 PM
vettn
CF Senior Member

I have pictures of many. As I remember, the first hole is one inch to the right of the park light hole (center to center). Here are pictures of two 67's..both original and one is an NCRS Bowtie car. I have seen another Bowtie car where the holes were just above these by about 1/2 inch. However, I have many pictures where the norm seems to be what I show here.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:50 PM
my66vette

AWESOME! I’m glad I joined this forum! Thank you very much!
Old 09-09-2017, 02:17 AM
mke9999

Default K66 amp mount holes - (proof of original option?)

Originally Posted by vettn View Post
I have pictures of many. As I remember, the first hole is one inch to the right of the park light hole (center to center). Here are pictures of two 67's..both original and one is an NCRS Bowtie car. I have seen another Bowtie car where the holes were just above these by about 1/2 inch. However, I have many pictures where the norm seems to be what I show here.

Hi, I found this old thread. I have an undocumented '67 big block car with NOM; and interested in "forensic evidence" of any kind... I was wondering if the presence of those mounting holes gives evidence that a car originally had the K66 option? the Assembly manual "implies" that these holes were drilled only to accommodate cars with TI option ... or were those holes always present whether or not the option was installed? Maybe dumb question, but wanted some expert feedback. thanks for any info!
Old 09-09-2017, 08:21 AM
DansYellow66
CF Senior Member

The holes would not be there unless the car was equipped with TI ignition or was retro-fitted with it. Another possibility is the front end could be transplanted from another car with TI. What HP was your car originally - does it have the original tach? If an L71 originally TI was a mandatory option. It was an option on the hydraulic lifter BBs.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:51 AM
Nowhere Man
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,482 Times in 1,344 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DansYellow66 View Post
The holes would not be there unless the car was equipped with TI ignition or was retro-fitted with it. Another possibility is the front end could be transplanted from another car with TI. What HP was your car originally - does it have the original tach? If an L71 originally TI was a mandatory option. It was an option on the hydraulic lifter BBs.
It was also a option on the SB L79 as well
Old 09-09-2017, 03:53 PM
mke9999

Originally Posted by DansYellow66 View Post

Hi, yes - my car has the correct tach, oil gauge. The cluster has the correct LB sticker; has a rear sway bar ; hood support is on the driver's side. it also has Power windows, power brakes and leather seat options. (it seems less likely to me that a base 327 car would have a full load of options... ) none of that proves anything .. but all small pieces of circumstantial evidence.

So if I understand you , in production, those holes were only manually drilled when the car was to have the K66 amp mounted? (and not somehow pre drilled on every panel.)

I wonder Do aftermarket replacement panels have this pre drilled?
Old 09-09-2017, 03:59 PM
Nowhere Man
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,482 Times in 1,344 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by mke9999 View Post
Hi, yes - my car has the correct tach, oil gauge. The cluster has the correct LB sticker; has a rear sway bar ; hood support is on the driver's side. it also has Power windows, power brakes and leather seat options. (it seems less likely to me that a base 327 car would have a full load of options... ) none of that proves anything .. but all small pieces of circumstantial evidence.

So if I understand you , in production, those holes were only manually drilled when the car was to have the K66 amp mounted? (and not somehow pre drilled on every panel.)

I wonder Do aftermarket replacement panels have this pre drilled?
they were NOT pre drilled but there was locating dimples. can you post a picture of the driver side female hood latch area. if you can put the camera straight on the latch
Old 09-09-2017, 05:40 PM
mke9999

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
they were NOT pre drilled but there was locating dimples. can you post a picture of the driver side female hood latch area. if you can put the camera straight on the latch
Here are a couple of pics, from the front with the hood open.

Name:  K66b.JPG
Views: 280
Size:  410.8 KB

Name:  K66.JPG
Views: 296
Size:  801.4 KB
Old 09-09-2017, 05:42 PM
mke9999

Originally Posted by mke9999 View Post
Here are a couple of pics, from the front with the hood open.

Attachment 48204582

Attachment 48204583
sorry for orientation, these photos are upside down...
Old 09-09-2017, 06:11 PM
DansYellow66
CF Senior Member

[QUOTE=Nowhere Man;1595538615]they were NOT pre drilled but there was locating dimples. /QUOTE]

Good to know - I suspected as such but wasn't sure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 66 T.I. Amplifier location

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: