C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1964 corvette heater core problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 11:55 AM
lildrip049
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1964 corvette heater core problem

My question is a simple one...the heater core in my 1964 corvette is leaking---do i have to remove the heater in the car to get to the heater core, or can I get it out and replace it from the engine compartment firewall.....a simple question that the books that i have give me no guidance.
thx
Russ
lildrip049@aol.com
Old 08-29-2011, 12:08 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

You need to remove the heater case from inside the car in order to remove/replace the heater core.
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2011, 12:40 PM
lildrip049
Advanced

Thx for the info on the heater core
Old 02-10-2014, 12:40 PM
lildrip049
Advanced

Johnz
Your had responded a couple of years ago concerning replacing the heater core in my 64 vet. Due to personal issues I was not able to get to this project until now. I have removed the glove box, the reservoir of the radiator, and the battery from the vet. I see the 4 nuts that i need to remove from the engine compartment and the 2 cables that I need to disconnect from the casing and the lower and defroster ducts. My confusion is that there may be a nut above the gas petal that attaches the heater casing to the firewall which i do not see and I do not see how to disconnect the blower motor wires and the resistor wire from their respective connections. Can you again assist me in my challenges..thx russ
Old 02-10-2014, 09:06 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lildrip049
Johnz
Your had responded a couple of years ago concerning replacing the heater core in my 64 vet. Due to personal issues I was not able to get to this project until now. I have removed the glove box, the reservoir of the radiator, and the battery from the vet. I see the 4 nuts that i need to remove from the engine compartment and the 2 cables that I need to disconnect from the casing and the lower and defroster ducts. My confusion is that there may be a nut above the gas petal that attaches the heater casing to the firewall which i do not see and I do not see how to disconnect the blower motor wires and the resistor wire from their respective connections. Can you again assist me in my challenges..thx russ
Unless someone before you has removed the nut and stud, it's just about on the centerline of the firewall, and a bracket riveted to the heater case at the extreme inboard end goes over the stud, and a nut secures it - that nut should be driven FIRST when you put the case back in the car. In the photo below of a '64 heater case, the bracket that goes over the stud is at the extreme left end of the picture.
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2014, 06:47 AM
lildrip049
Advanced

Default heater core

[QUOTE=JohnZ;1586142277]Unless someone before you has removed the nut and stud, it's just about on the centerline of the firewall, and a bracket riveted to the heater case at the extreme inboard end goes over the stud, and a nut secures it - that nut should be driven FIRST when you put the case back in the car. In the photo below of a '64 heater case, the bracket that goes over the stud is at the extreme left end of the picture. [/QUOTE

Thx Johnz..this is the picture that you had sent me....1 last question, did you remove the blower motor under the right fender to take out the inside housing to get to the heater core...russ
Old 02-11-2014, 04:37 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lildrip049
..1 last question, did you remove the blower motor under the right fender to take out the inside housing to get to the heater core...russ
No. There's no reason to remove the blower motor - just remove the center nut forward of the radio on the inside of the firewall and the four on the heater case studs on the engine compartment side, and remove the case. The heater core is in the inside case, and you access it by removing the case from the car and working it on the bench. This is a good time to order a heater case seal kit from Dr. Rebuild, as you'll probably find that the foam seals on the diverter doors have all crumbled to dust.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:32 PM
lildrip049
Advanced

Default vet heater core

Originally Posted by JohnZ
No. There's no reason to remove the blower motor - just remove the center nut forward of the radio on the inside of the firewall and the four on the heater case studs on the engine compartment side, and remove the case. The heater core is in the inside case, and you access it by removing the case from the car and working it on the bench. This is a good time to order a heater case seal kit from Dr. Rebuild, as you'll probably find that the foam seals on the diverter doors have all crumbled to dust.
JohnZ....thx for all your guidance....I really appreciate your insght--owe ya a few beers,
Russ
Old 02-11-2014, 05:34 PM
lildrip049
Advanced

JohnZ..thx for all your guidance. I really appreciate all of the insight that you have provided to me--owe ya a few beers,

Russ
Old 02-11-2014, 05:43 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I would dump in a small bottle of Barr's Stop Leak and drive on. Lot's less trouble.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:43 PM
Rokndad
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Russ, before you install a new heater core, have it pressure tested to insure no pinhole leaks. This was one of my most unsavory projects (67 with A/C) and is not something you want to do twice. A bottle of stop leak into the system when you refill is also a good idea.

Tom
Old 02-11-2014, 07:54 PM
Alexjo
7th Gear

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Russ, just a heads up - I am in the middle of replacing the heater core on my 67. I did have to remove the blower as there were two nuts attaching the heater box assembly to the firewall. Sounds like it is different on a 64 or a previous owner decided to add a few extra nuts to mine, but if the box doesn't slide out easily, consider taking off the blower.

Alex
Old 02-12-2014, 08:51 AM
lildrip049
Advanced

Default heater core

Originally Posted by Alexjo
Russ, just a heads up - I am in the middle of replacing the heater core on my 67. I did have to remove the blower as there were two nuts attaching the heater box assembly to the firewall. Sounds like it is different on a 64 or a previous owner decided to add a few extra nuts to mine, but if the box doesn't slide out easily, consider taking off the blower.

Alex
Thx for your insight Alex...Russ
Old 02-12-2014, 08:52 AM
lildrip049
Advanced

Thx for your insight Alex..Russ
Old 02-12-2014, 08:54 AM
lildrip049
Advanced

Default heater core

Originally Posted by MikeM
I would dump in a small bottle of Barr's Stop Leak and drive on. Lot's less trouble.
Mike M.. Thx for your insight..half way thru this project
Old 02-12-2014, 08:54 AM
lildrip049
Advanced

Thx MikeM..already half way thru this project Russ
Old 02-12-2014, 08:56 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

This is a great time to install Vintage Air A/C if you ever thought about it at all !

Get notified of new replies

To 1964 corvette heater core problem

Old 02-12-2014, 12:47 PM
rgbau140
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced mine around 15 years ago. at that time replacements were coming out of Mexico and I was told the quality was lacking. just replaced it again and my radiator guy said the quality is worse now than it was 15 years ago. I had him put an American made core between the two end pieces- was a pain to replace the 1st time and I'm not as flexible now as I was then. I called all the parts vendor I could think of and nobody sold a heater core sourced in America. pressure testing 1st is a good idea, getting a core made in America is better. Good luck
Old 02-12-2014, 08:23 PM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

just a wag, but maybe dewitts will build you one. jim
Old 02-12-2014, 08:43 PM
lildrip049
Advanced

Default 64 vet heater core replacement

Originally Posted by rgbau140
I replaced mine around 15 years ago. at that time replacements were coming out of Mexico and I was told the quality was lacking. just replaced it again and my radiator guy said the quality is worse now than it was 15 years ago. I had him put an American made core between the two end pieces- was a pain to replace the 1st time and I'm not as flexible now as I was then. I called all the parts vendor I could think of and nobody sold a heater core sourced in America. pressure testing 1st is a good idea, getting a core made in America is better. Good luck
You made good points...just pull out the old one...you are right.. i hell of a pain...getting the new one tested and seeing if the old one can be repaired...thx russ

Quick Reply: 1964 corvette heater core problem