C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Anyone have cruise control on a 57-62 with fuel injection?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:48 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Default Anyone have cruise control on a 57-62 with fuel injection?

I'm planning a long drive (Okla City-Phoenix) in the 56 in Jan 12 for the SACC Natl convention.
It sure would be nice to have cruise control for the drive.
Does ANYONE have, or have experience with, or installed cruise on a 57-62 Vette---------------PARTICULARLY WITH FI?
If so, where did you get the cruise and what unit did you purchase? How well does it work?

Tom Parsons
Old 09-19-2011, 11:18 AM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Not on a C1 fuelie BUT..............

Tom,

I don't have cruise on my C1 but I recently installed one on my '66 small block coupe. I got the system from Summit Racing (it's a Dakota Digital model) and it's all electronic with no need for vacuum. The universal kit is much more expensive then the old vacuum systems, I think it was about $260 with the speed sensor, clutch kick off switch and turn signal style control handle.

The kit was very easy to install. The speed signal generator fits between the transmission and the cable. You then route the two wires to the control unit. I fabbed up a mount so I didn't have to drill holes and placed the unit under the left front fender. From there I was able to route the cable to the carb where I mated it to the linkage. They give you a bunch of different hardware so figuring out how to mount the cable and hook it to the carb was fairly easy. The wiring all runs through the firewall and is connected under the dash. I got the GM style trun signal handle that has "on, off, resume and set" switches. After routing the wire it looks just look it came on the car. They also make a small control box that can be mounted anywhere.

The system works just the ones on my modern cars. One push of a buttom and you're going the speed you want. Touch the brake or clutch and it kicks off. Hit resum and you're right back to you pre set speed. This unit also hold the speed so consent that my GPS couldn't see it hunting up or down.

This is a first class system and I'd use it again in a heart beat. If you want more infor just let me know.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:23 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

yes, i have it on my 62 FI/EFI and i have used it for many 1000s of miles. it's an Audiovox CCS-100 (been discontinued i hear but available on Ebay (pricey... http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories )

Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 09-19-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:34 AM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill has it all
Old 09-19-2011, 12:38 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

I've been surfing up and down the internet for a good cruise, and it looks as if the Audiovox CCS-100 is a good choice, but it is now discontinued. Even if one was on Ebay, I don't do Ebay and I'm not interested in paying a premium price.

John,
YES, I would like as much information about your cruise setup as possible. How or what does it use for a pickup to monitor speed? Is there some kind of adaptor that connects to the speedo fitting on the tranny?
What brand is it?

Tom Parsons
Old 09-19-2011, 01:28 PM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Default Info

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
I've been surfing up and down the internet for a good cruise, and it looks as if the Audiovox CCS-100 is a good choice, but it is now discontinued. Even if one was on Ebay, I don't do Ebay and I'm not interested in paying a premium price.

John,
YES, I would like as much information about your cruise setup as possible. How or what does it use for a pickup to monitor speed? Is there some kind of adaptor that connects to the speedo fitting on the tranny?
What brand is it?

Tom Parsons
Tom,

I did a little checking and here's the info you wanted. First of all I ordered the Dakota model CRS 2000 from Summit Racing. Here's what it looks like:

This set up came with the turn signal handle control, they have others that have a control much like the one pictured in post #3. In the lower left is the signal generator. The unit can be placed between the tranny and the cable or the speedo and the cable, so you have some options. This is a much better system than other products that use magnets on the driveshaft or tach pulses.
After looking back at my order I realized the the unit was $269 and the clutch switch was another $40. In hindsight I'd do without the clutch switch since the unit has a safety built in. If you push the tranny into neutral the engine will rev up about 1,000 RPMs and then the system will switch itself off. Since I only use cruise on the highway I can't think of a time I'd need the cultch switch.

The only trouble I had was with setting some switches inside the control unit. I spoke to a technician and he got me stright. I wrote the notes on the instruction booklet and I'll take a look at them tonight. First thing in the morning I'll pass these notes on to you.

Just let me know if you need anything else.

John

Last edited by VetteJohn; 09-19-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:03 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Thanks John.
I just gave them a call and the helpfullness of the tech guy was so-so. So, any info I can get from someone with personal experience with the unit will be good.
So far, the Dakota cruise looks like the best choice. I like the way the speed signal comes off of the speedo cable. Since it is cable driven, I guess that either a tach or speedo cable could be used for the sensor, right? My 56 has the tach in the center of the dash, just below the radio, thus it would SEEM to be real simple to install the sensor there. That way NOTHING would be seen under the car. If the cruise was installed inside, under the dash somewhere (such as on top of the heater) possibly the ONLY thing that would ever be seen is the throttle cable coming through the firewall to attach to the throttle bell crank on the side of the FI plenum.

Tom Parsons
Old 09-19-2011, 04:09 PM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Default Hooking to Tach?

Tom,

I'm not sure that you could (should) hook the signal generator to the tach cable. A down side of using the tach is that PRMs build up much faster in lower gears so the signal generator will be seeing speeds it usally doesn't see. I guess it's possible to configure the switches in the control unit to understand the pulses that are generated by the tach cable or you could just connect to the back of the speedometer.

If you go to the Dakota Digital website you can download the instruction manual so we can see a bit more information. I'd agree that the techs were not a lot of help but they were able to aim me in a direction and I was able figure out what to do from there. I'll send more info in the morning.

John
Old 09-19-2011, 04:12 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default Tom you saw this set up

Tom, try Amazon .com You saw this when I visited you.

The name of the cruise control unit is

AudioVox 100 Universal Cruise Control

And I take offense to a suggest that my singing needs some kind of electrical enhancement

Now mental enhancements , that's a different story

Seriously, your foot gets real tired fast when you have to hold down on the gas pedal. With 3.70 + gears, you feel like you are driving the car, pedal is at a bad angle and because the engine needs gas to keep up revs, you have to put more pressure against return spring.

Results : Your foot and leg hurt, if they hurt , you don't drive your car

Here are pictures of the unit installed. And yes Karioke does make ones voice sound better so I am told.

Jack

You can get as fancy as you want. But say goodby to dead legs and feet, you will be able to move around just like you do in you everyday car. Makes owning a C1 or C2 a pleasure to drive.

One wire to coil. Two wires to brake light switch wires , one to power, one to dash lights. vacuum T off VC or manifold.

Unit under fender

Fire wall

Linkage on carb

Control on side console

Last edited by Jackfit; 09-19-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:17 PM
71zman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom,
More info on the Audiovox unit - I installed the CCS-100 in my 1960 - dual quad carb car. The speed signal for this set-up is the negative side of the coil - like a electronic tach. This method works well - I measure speed with my GPS and notice that the cruise control keeps me + / - 2 mph even in hills. I followed "Jackfit" excellent installation instructions and am pleased with the result. Two things worth mention; 1) On a C1 - you can use the ignition shield bracket to mount the accelerator cable - worked well 2) I mounted the control switch on a hinge under the dash so it was out of the way when not in use - again worked well

Glad to see you are going to the convention - look forward to meeting you. I am planning on spending Wednesday at Barret Jackson - interested?

bret
Old 09-19-2011, 07:44 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by wmf62
yes, i have it on my 62 FI/EFI and i have used it for many 1000s of miles. it's an Audiovox CCS-100 (been discontinued i hear but available on Ebay (pricey... http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories )

Bill

Bill,
That looks good, I like it-------------------------but what's that thing on top of the ashtray???

Tom Parsons
Old 09-19-2011, 07:50 PM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

beverage holder. jim
Old 09-19-2011, 07:52 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jackfit
Tom, try Amazon .com You saw this when I visited you.

The name of the cruise control unit is

AudioVox 100 Universal Cruise Control

And I take offense to a suggest that my singing needs some kind of electrical enhancement

Now mental enhancements , that's a different story

Seriously, your foot gets real tired fast when you have to hold down on the gas pedal. With 3.70 + gears, you feel like you are driving the car, pedal is at a bad angle and because the engine needs gas to keep up revs, you have to put more pressure against return spring.

Results : Your foot and leg hurt, if they hurt , you don't drive your car

Here are pictures of the unit installed. And yes Karioke does make ones voice sound better so I am told.

Jack

You can get as fancy as you want. But say goodby to dead legs and feet, you will be able to move around just like you do in you everyday car. Makes owning a C1 or C2 a pleasure to drive.

One wire to coil. Two wires to brake light switch wires , one to power, one to dash lights. vacuum T off VC or manifold.
Jack,
I didn't closely examine your cruise installation when you were here------------------now I regret it!

Tom Parsons
Old 09-19-2011, 07:53 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by jdk971
beverage holder. jim

OH!
Adjustable?
How is it attached?

Tom Parsons
Old 09-19-2011, 07:58 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Tom
bought an adjustable cup holder (they also come in a 2-cup version), pulled the ashtray out of the console plate, made a block of wood that fit the empty hole, and then screwed the cupholder to the block. can be easily installed by removing ashtray and sticking block in the hole.
Bill
Old 09-19-2011, 09:39 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Ingenious!

Tom Parsons
Old 09-19-2011, 10:23 PM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

Tom
bought an adjustable cup holder (they also come in a 2-cup version), pulled the ashtray out of the console plate, made a block of wood that fit the empty hole, and then screwed the cupholder to the block. can be easily installed by removing ashtray and sticking block in the hole.
Bill
Now that's a clever idea! I like my coffee so will have to do one of those.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone have cruise control on a 57-62 with fuel injection?

Old 09-20-2011, 01:57 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Tom
Bill
Real Men (TM) just put their beverage of choice (in an AL can or brown bottle) between their legs while driving a C1. If you get in a drag race, you need a passenger to hold said can or bottle. Just some tidbits of wisdom gained 35+ years ago.

Doug
Old 09-20-2011, 01:58 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
I'm planning a long drive (Okla City-Phoenix) in the 56 in Jan 12 for the SACC Natl convention.
Though I am not a member of SACC, and am moving 100 miles north to Camp Verde, i may have to drive down one day and say Hi.

Doug
Old 09-20-2011, 04:58 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Bill

Quick Reply: Anyone have cruise control on a 57-62 with fuel injection?