C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Side pipes and horsepower.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 07:45 PM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

I have Allen's offroad sidepipes. You can hear me comin' a mile away, and if they rob a little HP, so what? They still sound badazz.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:09 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by Willie'sVette
This thread makes an interesting discussion, but until there's a controlled study of the same engine (of different HP ratings), utilizing different diameter, angle of bends, under body or side pipes, people r going to believe what they think will happen. There's just too much personal bias (conscious or unconscious) at work here.
That's already been done, hundreds of times over the last 40+ years, and it's been well-documented; factory sidepipes are proven power-robbers compared to the standard under-car system, especially with big-blocks that pump a lot of air. The cross-section of the factory sidepipe inner core is 2.40 square inches, and the cross-section of the standard 2-1/2" under-car exhaust is 4.90 square inches; that's the only math you need to compare the flow restriction.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:02 PM
Willie'sVette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteRed1965
Side pipes are killer... I do know that I got 290 RWHP with Vette Packs installed with a 350 4 bolt main block and they sound a lot better the stock side pipe mufflers
Originally Posted by claysmoker
I have Allen's offroad sidepipes. You can hear me comin' a mile away, and if they rob a little HP, so what? They still sound badazz........snip..
I never would have purchased a non-side pipe vette. If I waited 40+ yrs for one, I was going to ensure that it had what I wanted. Looks was the only consideration. Truly, I never even thought about the question of whether they added or subtracted power.

Originally Posted by JohnZ
That's already been done, hundreds of times over the last 40+ years, and it's been well-documented; factory sidepipes are proven power-robbers compared to the standard under-car system, especially with big-blocks that pump a lot of air. The cross-section of the factory sidepipe inner core is 2.40 square inches, and the cross-section of the standard 2-1/2" under-car exhaust is 4.90 square inches; that's the only math you need to compare the flow restriction.
Well, that settles the matter...from one who knows....they hinder power..end of discussion...for those that like them, it's for the looks & sound, eh?....I also required that there was A/C in mine...sure it robs power, adds weight, etc, ...I'd be damned if I was gonna drive one w/o it......most of us r cruisers, we ain't racing the thing.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:33 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by FastEddy
Also depends on horsepower level you have to begin with. My 355hp ZZ4 crate motor did not seem to loose much at all with small 2" manifolds and factory style sidepipes - this setup includes a sleeve between the manifolds and the sidepipes that is less than 1 5/8" inner diameter!!! Yet the car ran 12.9 at 108 in the 1/4 at the track (2.03 60ft, which if on slicks/drag radials, might have been a 12.7) Point is, that calculates out to around 300hp at the wheels on most horsepower calc's with the 2,960lb weight. I would have thought that breathing out of a 1 5/8 hole on each side of the car would have killed alot more power than that!! That's no bigger than alot of primary tubes on SBC headers!!
Judging by the trap speed, the only way that your discussion makes any sense at all is if your ZZ4 engine makes a lot more power than it's supposed to make AND if the driver for your posted run was very skilled. What axle ratio, transmission, and tires were used?

I can tell you this, complete with documentation:

My 327, in it's previous, 2011 configuration, made more than 353 HP at the rear wheels with open headers.
With the cutouts capped, and running through the mufflers pictured in my previous post (VettePack 3 1/2 x 2 1/2 muffler/resonator), it made more than 348 RWHP..........a difference of only 5 RWHP!

Compare pulls 1 and 3 below:

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 11-18-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:49 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Joe, what happened on the 2nd or red pull. It was tracking better than the 1st and 3rd and just drops off at 5800. It looks like you had a problem and just let off the gas. I see it is in 4th where the other 2 are in 3rd. Strong numbers for a 327.

Mark
Old 11-18-2011, 09:29 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkC5GN
Joe, what happened on the 2nd or red pull. It was tracking better than the 1st and 3rd and just drops off at 5800. It looks like you had a problem and just let off the gas. I see it is in 4th where the other 2 are in 3rd. Strong numbers for a 327.

Mark
That's a great question. I don't know.

I'm not smart enough to understand how torque multiplication and gearing has more than a little effect on how RWHP numbers are calculated and output by a chassis dyno. I can tell you that the axle ratio is 3.70.

Lab dyno numbers are independent of drivetrain config/gearing............................it is what it is.................. 1:1 at the flywheel, period!

Hopefully somebody who is familiar with the algorithm used on the Dynojet will educate all of us. I would think that chassis dynos are corrected for vehicle final drive ratio.

Joe

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 11-18-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:56 PM
FastEddy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
Judging by the trap speed, the only way that your discussion makes any sense at all is if your ZZ4 engine makes a lot more power than it's supposed to make AND if the driver for your posted run was very skilled. What axle ratio, transmission, and tires were used?
Sorry. Was trying not to overload with details. Bone stock ZZ4 (355hp) with 45,000 miles on it, 3:55 rear, muncie m20, and 235/60/15 BFG TA's...and me. My first and only time on a drag strip. 3 runs = 13.2 at 106, 13.0, and then the 12.9 at 108. A few chassis dyno guys I talked to back then were quoting numbers around 300hp at the wheels for ZZ4's in 4spd muncie Vettes. The few HP calc's I've tried using 3K lb car and that trap speed show @ 300hp. (Comes to @15% loss thru drivetrain) To me it looked like my runs showed the same amount of power, but with a supposedly VERY restricted exhaust? Doesn't really matter what the true exact power of my engine was, but that those pipes were letting that much power be developed. Judging how my car ran, I would say the pipes wouldn't hurt a 327/300 one single bit, or maybe not too much on a 365 either?? I wouldn't think the difference would make it worth avoiding the sidepipes, for that reason anyway. That was my point.

When I rebuilt for more power, I went to the pipes with a 2.5" inner, and man were they loud!!!! When I raced my buddy with a nitrous'd fast burn 385 in his '68 (who can't read his tach when he races) said he didn't know when to shift cause he couldn't hear his own motor, lol

Last edited by FastEddy; 11-18-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:23 PM
Chambered
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 84 Posts

Joe - that's awesome!!!

-Eric
Old 11-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by FastEddy
When I raced my buddy with a nitrous'd fast burn 385 in his '68 (who can't read his tach when he races) said he didn't know when to shift cause he couldn't hear his own motor, lol
I get that same complaint alot....... but I also get guys stopping by the pit to tell me that out of 150 musclecars... my little L79 sounds the best rolling down the track
Old 11-19-2011, 06:39 PM
tjstarduster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a set of Hooker Supercomp undercar headers on my '66bb, then had a custom exhaust fabricated to hook up to the factory 2.5" sidepipes with a balance tube at the 3" collector. It sounds great and I don't think it cost much hp. My 496 bb goes right to 6500 rpm without a hiccup. 2 1/8" primaries and 3" collectors. Good luck, tjs
Old 11-19-2011, 08:37 PM
2th farmer
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 6-8-9 Veteran

I guarantee you put the same person in the passsenger seat in two identical cars. (One with sidepipes and one without) and I GUARANTEE they will think the sidepipe car is WAAAAYYY faster
Old 11-20-2011, 06:44 PM
VetteRed1965
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Willie'sVette
I never would have purchased a non-side pipe vette. If I waited 40+ yrs for one, I was going to ensure that it had what I wanted. Looks was the only consideration. Truly, I never even thought about the question of whether they added or subtracted power.

Well, that settles the matter...from one who knows....they hinder power..end of discussion...for those that like them, it's for the looks & sound, eh?....I also required that there was A/C in mine...sure it robs power, adds weight, etc, ...I'd be damned if I was gonna drive one w/o it......most of us r cruisers, we ain't racing the thing.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:26 PM
qwik-tripp
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2th farmer
I guarantee you put the same person in the passsenger seat in two identical cars. (One with sidepipes and one without) and I GUARANTEE they will think the sidepipe car is WAAAAYYY faster
Well said Farmer, if we are talking about index racing a car that dead hooks and a driver that shifts like Grumpy Jenkins then 15-30hp is a BIG deal. On the street a 4speed with street tires not so much of an issue. I have tried all kinds of sidepipes for sound only. I wouldn't trade my sidepipes for 150hp, I can't hook what I have. Sidepipes are way too cool.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:46 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

When I bought my '65 Corvette in 1972, I thought sidepipes would be a nice addition for several reasons. One of them was, the other mid-year Corvettes running around back then didn't have them. Metro area population of almost a million people and never saw a single sidepipe car except in the '65-'67 era. Shortly after that, they were all gone. Saw lot's of midyears but all undercar.

Anyway, I put them on and to this day, I think those sidepipes added a little throttle response to the engine and made it a little peppier. But, it's only a 250 hp engine. It wouldn't surprise me a bit that the sidepipes really choked the BB's but so did the undercar pipes. BB cars were not real hard to beat in a drag race with one of my SB cars, on the street back then while running through mufflers. Get the BB's on the track with open exhaust on both of them and it was a different story!

Today, it seems like EVERY midyear either has sidepipes or sidepipes are a planned addition. I still have the GM issue pipes and mine aren't loud like some report unless you open the the throttle but just cruising, makes a nice sound.

Last edited by MikeM; 11-21-2011 at 08:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Side pipes and horsepower.