C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 power steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 06:36 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

i can't guess at lock-to-lock, but it should be dependent on the length of the pitman arm. the major improvement will be in the ease of steering; sloppiness will depend on the condition of the mechanical joints in the front end.
Bill
Old 12-27-2011, 09:20 AM
Viking427
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In any case, in my humble opinion, someone would be better served replicating Steeroid's C1 rack & pinion setup in their backyard for roughly the same amount of effort/fabrication/cost. The R&P will provide better feel and more precise response with less linkage. How hard can it be to whip up two (frame) mounting brackets and a center link for a J-body/T-bird rack ? Certainly less than the $1200+ Steeroids quoted for just their rack & brackets with no column.

http://speeddirect.com/downloads/ins...0for%20web.pdf

Last edited by Viking427; 12-27-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:23 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Viking427
In any case, in my humble opinion, someone would be better served replicating Steeroid's C1 rack & pinion setup in their backyard for roughly the same amount of effort/fabrication/cost. The R&P will provide better feel and more precise response with less linkage. How hard can it be to whip up two (frame) mounting brackets and a center link for a J-car/T-bird rack ? Certainly less than the $1200+ Steeroids quoted for just their rack & brackets with no column.

too late for me to do it, but go for it...

Bill
Old 12-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Doug1964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Viking427
In any case, in my humble opinion, someone would be better served replicating Steeroid's C1 rack & pinion setup in their backyard for roughly the same amount of effort/fabrication/cost. The R&P will provide better feel and more precise response with less linkage. How hard can it be to whip up two (frame) mounting brackets and a center link for a J-body/T-bird rack ? Certainly less than the $1200+ Steeroids quoted for just their rack & brackets with no column.

http://speeddirect.com/downloads/ins...0for%20web.pdf
I definitely think you would get a much more responsive system going with a r&p system. I just thought the Steeroids system pricey and I doubted my ability to fabricate fairly intricate brackets without the whole thing looking like a frankensteerer when I was done. I figured I would get into it and decide I would have to break down and buy the steeroids. I also think it looks a pretty tight trying to get the steering shaft and joints down to the rack. I think they just barely clear the exhaust and spark plug from what I understand.

Another option would be to buy just the steeroid brackets if you had a line on the other r&p components at a lower price. The steeroids brackets sell retail for $640 for just the brackets. They range from $100 to $160 each.

Last edited by Doug1964; 12-27-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:59 PM
1960Vette
Advanced

This is another power steering system that could probably be made to work since it is designed to fit the early 50's passenger cars, but mounting a pump would still pose a problem if keeping the original motor mount. Small pump with remote reservoir could be used.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/49-50-51-52-...sories&vxp=mtr
Old 12-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Doug1964
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1960Vette
This is another power steering system that could probably be made to work since it is designed to fit the early 50's passenger cars, but mounting a pump would still pose a problem if keeping the original motor mount. Small pump with remote reservoir could be used.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/49-50-51-52-...sories&vxp=mtr
I wondered if such a system would work. I like it for its simplicity because you are basically using all the original linkage in the exact configuration which it was originally intended which prevents any unusual or unanticipated characterictics and preserves as much of the original car as possible. The only question I would have is would raising the pivot point of the vertical pitman arm cause any clearance problems in a corvette. It looks like maybe you would be raising it 2-3 inches at most. You could not just use a longer pitman arm because that would change the geometry considerably and probably give you too quick of a reaction. I think a person could take an early ford bronco box, build a bracket to mount to the frame rail and you would be set. The only difficult part is shortening and attaching the steering column.

When you see the price of some of the other kits, including some rack and pinion kits, it sure makes you wonder if the $2,125 plus additional parts cost for a steeroids system is worth it. I wonder about clearance issues with the steeroids steering shaft down past the manifold and ignition shielding.

Last edited by Doug1964; 12-28-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:20 PM
x0000rgw
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by x0000rgw
I don't know what steering box was used, but the stock
61 motor mount is gone. The Saginaw pump is mounted way
up high to clear the drag link and pitman arm. I used the round
type 2 pump in the normal spot for a power steering pump.
The F250 box and drag link under the car to the 3rd arm
worked best for me. Required a remote fill tank, but I kept the
old engine mounts.

Ray
Look at post #7
This was my design that pre-dated the Crane add by about 3 months.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-steering.html

It is a straight forward conversion, ( if you can build two simple brackets).
I have included the parts list and cost. ( Three years ago cost)

Ray
Old 10-22-2016, 04:16 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by x0000rgw
Look at post #7
This was my design that pre-dated the Crane add by about 3 months.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-steering.html

It is a straight forward conversion, ( if you can build two simple brackets).
I have included the parts list and cost. ( Three years ago cost)

Ray
I have Cranes video of the installation; Cranes setup is a nightmare, I wouldn't have it on my lawnmower...

Bill

Quick Reply: C1 power steering