C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63 4 speed jumps out of 1st n 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 08:45 PM
Capt Charlie
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 63 4 speed jumps out of 1st n 2nd gear

Just bought a 63 SWC. Right off the bat I notice that it will jump out of either 1st or 2nd gear occasionally. Doesn't seem to do it in 3rd n 4th gear. Have never had this happen in other corvettes that I have had. Any ideas? The car was sold as a frame off restoration done some years back. I suspect the tranny has less then 2000 miles on it but was never provided the info on it. Bought the car from Vintage Vettes LLC out of Kansas City. That experience wasn't too great either.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:00 PM
mike16
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar problem with a 66 gto. in my case the pilot shaft bushing was pretty badly worn
Old 10-31-2011, 09:20 PM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

First thing to check is if the right lever arms are on the transmission. It sounds like the first-second arm is not engaging all the way and it is popping out because it is just being held in gear by the shifter rather than being locked in gear by the right placement of the gear.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:39 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,729 Likes on 811 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Does it happen on acceleration and/or decel?
Old 10-31-2011, 10:12 PM
65Bob-bo
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Capt Charlie
Just bought a 63 SWC. Right off the bat I notice that it will jump out of either 1st or 2nd gear occasionally. Doesn't seem to do it in 3rd n 4th gear. Have never had this happen in other corvettes that I have had. Any ideas? The car was sold as a frame off restoration done some years back. I suspect the tranny has less then 2000 miles on it but was never provided the info on it. Bought the car from Vintage Vettes LLC out of Kansas City. That experience wasn't too great either.
My '65 came from them when they were KC Corvettes, 1995. They still owe me the jack for that car.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:18 PM
ktchir
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like bad syncros to me...
Old 10-31-2011, 10:24 PM
Capt Charlie
2nd Gear

Default 63 vette popping out of 1st n 2nd

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton
Does it happen on acceleration and/or decel?
Yea, the shifter will pop to neutral during accel/decel phases. I believe it pops out in other phases like just driving at a constant speed. I tend to just hold the gear shifter to keep it in place to keep it from popping out of gear. I have only driven the car less then 150 miles since getting it because of this issue. Plus, I live in the Pacific NW and it is getting ready to snow soon. Don't plan to drive it anymore until spring. There's a local mechanic that claims he has worked on vettes, so maybe I might drop it off to him, but I thought I'd investigate the problem alittle first.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:09 AM
Olustee bus
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine jumped out of 2nd. Bad main shaft. a good one was hard to find. good luck.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:54 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by ktchir
Synchro's and slider hub on the 1/2 shaft.

You likely need to rebuild the trans, if it isn't a linkage adjustment problem (which I doubt).

Chuck
Old 11-01-2011, 06:15 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Capt Charlie
There's a local mechanic that claims he has worked on vettes, so maybe I might drop it off to him, but I thought I'd investigate the problem a little first.
Boy I think there are enough forum members up that way so that you could get a little more info on a good vintage Corvette tranny technician..

1snake (Jim) and a few other knowledgeable folks in that area .
Old 11-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff

You likely need to rebuild the trans, if it isn't a linkage adjustment problem (which I doubt).

Chuck
Chuck,
Without knowing the car or its history, you can't assume the correct linkage is on the car. To many, four speed linkage is all the same and I have seen several cars with the wrong length shifter levers installed. Many of these cars are pieced back together after years of hot rodding and such.

If you have a long lever in a place where a short needs to be on the transmission, you may not be fully engaging the gears, and nothing will keep it in gear if it isn't fully engaged.

Since both 1st and 2nd disengage, I'd suspect the arm is not fully engaging in either direction, not just adjustment.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:49 AM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark_Milner
Chuck,
Without knowing the car or its history, you can't assume the correct linkage is on the car. To many, four speed linkage is all the same and I have seen several cars with the wrong length shifter levers installed. Many of these cars are pieced back together after years of hot rodding and such.

If you have a long lever in a place where a short needs to be on the transmission, you may not be fully engaging the gears, and nothing will keep it in gear if it isn't fully engaged.

Since both 1st and 2nd disengage, I'd suspect the arm is not fully engaging in either direction, not just adjustment.
Yeah I agree on the linkage likelihood - usually those trannies tend to jump out of one gear when it's a worn slider.

What you need is an experienced (knowledgable) tranny mechanic to look at it.
A vette guy might know what he is doing but there is nothing exotic about Muncie or Borg Warner trannies.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Chuck
More than likely. 1/2 utilize the same synchro assembly and T-10s are notorious for bad synchro hubs. Try and order torq-lok hubs when you rebuild it and you will need to examine the condition of the clutch teeth on both first and second gear. They could be worn as well. These are not expensive units to rebuild and are easy to diagnose.

Normally, 2/3 are the culprits because of power shifting but if someone was attempting to downshift into first at relatively higher speeds that could cause the problem you are experiencing now, although grinding would be more of a symptom as the stress put on the blocker ring over an extended period of time will render it pretty much useless.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Geek's 65
Burning Brakes

Chuck
Exactly. Just had to rebuild mine and those are the symptoms for the sync rings going bad.

G
Old 11-02-2011, 10:59 AM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ktchir
Every time I have had this problem (lots) it has always been bad syncros! A rebuild is in order.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Geek's 65
Exactly. Just had to rebuild mine and those are the symptoms for the sync rings going bad.

G
Just to be clear, the OP will probably need more than "sync rings" which is normally translated as blocker rings. He will need the whole assembly and possibly gears.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:55 AM
FastEddy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good time for a 5-speed

Get notified of new replies

To 63 4 speed jumps out of 1st n 2nd gear

Quick Reply: 63 4 speed jumps out of 1st n 2nd gear