C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

When will Karl Ludvigsen's revised "Star Spangled Sports Car" book come out?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 02:29 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,037 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Default When will Karl Ludvigsen's revised "Star Spangled Sports Car" book come out?

One of the Corvette magazines published excerpts of Ludvigsen's revised and updated 1973 book "Corvette: America's Star Spangled Sports Car," but I haven't seen any info about when the book might appear. I consider it the best book by far on overall Corvette history. Anyone out there have info on when the next glorious edition might come out?
Old 11-14-2011, 05:24 AM
karlcars
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Star-Spangled Sports Car

Wow, thanks for your interest! I appreciate your kind words and look forward to providing you with an updated book.

I'm in the middle of a big project now -- the history of supercharging -- which I will have completed by next spring. Then my Very Next Project is the Corvette updating, which will be published by Bentley Publishers. I would expect to have completed it by autumn of 2012, which means publication probably in the early spring -- unless we can have it ready for Christmas, which would be a stretch I think.

I've been researching the book all along and have lots of great material which will flesh out the saga of America's sports car par excellence.

Again, thanks a lot for asking! Very motivating!

-- Karl Ludvigsen
Old 11-14-2011, 06:08 AM
K5kaos
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't wait!
Old 11-14-2011, 07:12 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

I remember checking this book out of the public library in 1975. I forget all about having it, went into the Army, got out of the Army in 1980, and found it while going through my stuff.

I called the Public Library to tell them about it, and how I should return it, and what the overdue fees were. The lady told me to wait until the following week; the library was having amnesty week. All overdue books could be returned for no charge.

I turned it back in during amnesty week. The library staff got a big kick out of that.

I now have my own copy, and look forward to an update.

Karl; I would be very interested in any updates you may have to the Prince Bertil (Sweeden) 1956 Corvette. Your book is the first time I saw that car in color. Stunning.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:47 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I agree completely with Louie.... this is the finest Corvette history book ever published.

I've had my copy for close to 40 years and have read through it a dozen or more times. It still calls to me.

Prior to the first publication of this book, Corvettes didn't seem to have any particular pedigree, no claim to legitimacy. They were just interesting, fast cars. As soon as this book hit the shelves, that instantly changed.

Prices for used and especially for the oldest Corvettes did also. They began to skyrocket almost overnight.

I credit this book for planting the seeds that ultimately grew into the hobby of collecting, preserving, and restoring old Corvettes.

Jim
Old 11-14-2011, 09:26 AM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

I inherited Porsche, Excellence was Expected from my father but have put off reading it because it may kill me.

If it does for Porsche what Star Spangled Sports Car did for Corvettes, I will have to buy one, and my wife will kill me.

Karl, thanks for a Corvette book that is worth far more than what I paid for it...can't say that about many.

The new one will be at the top of my 2013 Xmas list...if I live that long.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Keith Carlson
Racer

Great book that has been a companion since '73!

Thank you!
Old 11-14-2011, 11:57 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I got it when it first came out. Being a VERY fast reader, I only allowed myself one chapter per day to stretch out the enjoyment!
Old 11-14-2011, 01:53 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

[QUOTE=karlcars;1579212364]Wow, thanks for your interest! I appreciate your kind words and look forward to providing you with an updated book.

I'm in the middle of a big project now -- the history of supercharging -- which I will have completed by next spring. Then my Very Next Project is the Corvette updating, which will be published by Bentley Publishers. I would expect to have completed it by autumn of 2012, which means publication probably in the early spring -- unless we can have it ready for Christmas, which would be a stretch I think.

I've been researching the book all along and have lots of great material which will flesh out the saga of America's sports car par excellence.

Again, thanks a lot for asking! Very motivating!

Hi Karl -

I too will look forward to your next edition!

Speaking of the history of supercharging, I assume you are familiar with the Chadwick Motor Company, out of Pottstown Pennsylvania? My understanding is that they were the first (circa 1907) to apply a supercharger to an internal combustion engine of any type, be it automotive or aviation.

A private collector I work with has the only two complete remaining Chadwicks in existence. PM me if you are interested in any further information

Glenn
Old 11-14-2011, 08:40 PM
LouieM
Race Director

My edition of the book has been out on near-perpetual loan to guys in the Corvette club I belong to, ever since I mentioned what a great book it is years ago. Considering that the internet, the NCRS and most Corvette clubs have sprung up since 1973, I predict that there will be a real buying binge once Karl L.'s book hits the street! It is starting to look like a long 500 days until the early spring of 2013 ... but well worth the wait!
Old 11-14-2011, 08:50 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I have had my copy since 1974 when i was 17, after I bought my '61, but before i got it running, I have read it at least a dozen times over the years, the dust jacket is quite tattered now. When i was almost 18, and got very sick, and had to spend almost a week in the hospital, i had my parents bring me the book to (re) read when i felt well enough to sit up

Excellent, well written book, few books can transport you back into time and make you feel part of history, this one can.

Doug
Old 11-14-2011, 08:54 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Received 1,240 Likes on 457 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

Wife got mine for me at Christmas 1973.................GREAT BOOK.

Thank you Karl................
Old 11-14-2011, 09:32 PM
fogaley
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Signed by Karl

Hey Karl, how about if a few of us send you our copy of that great Corvette book and you signed them for us. Thanks Scott
Old 11-16-2011, 01:28 PM
karlcars
Cruising

Thanks a lot to all for your enthusiasm and support -- hugely appreciated.

Yes, the book was credited at the time as a significant boost to the Corvette's legitimacy and historic status. As far as I know it was the first-ever book devoted to a car model as opposed to a car marquer as a whole. I remember at the time my publisher and I were debating whether there was enough Corvette history to make a book! Luckily there was -- and then some!

Best to all,

-- Karl L.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:00 PM
Maurice [B]
3rd Gear

Hello everyone! I'm hoping folks won't mind me reviving this thread to chime in. I'm the sales & marketing manager for Bentley Publishers. (You might remember us for publishing the Jerry Burton book Zora Arkus-Duntov and the Dave McLellan book Corvette From The Inside.)

As it turns out, we'll soon be publishing a reissue of Karl Ludvigsen's 1974 book Corvette: America's Star Spangled Sports Car. We don't yet have an official schedule for the book yet, but we're hoping to announce one soon. In the meantime, if you're interested in the latest developments on Karl's Corvette book, let us know at this link: http://www.bentleypublishers.com/che...ports-car.html

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2013, 02:22 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Great to hear we'll be seeing the revised edition before long. I just signed up to get the announcement for the book. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Maurice [B]
Hello everyone! I'm hoping folks won't mind me reviving this thread to chime in. I'm the sales & marketing manager for Bentley Publishers. (You might remember us for publishing the Jerry Burton book Zora Arkus-Duntov and the Dave McLellan book Corvette From The Inside.)

As it turns out, we'll soon be publishing a reissue of Karl Ludvigsen's 1974 book Corvette: America's Star Spangled Sports Car. We don't yet have an official schedule for the book yet, but we're hoping to announce one soon. In the meantime, if you're interested in the latest developments on Karl's Corvette book, let us know at this link: http://www.bentleypublishers.com/che...ports-car.html

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:08 AM
hankg42
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a copy of the original, and have used it as my "bible" for reference on everything Corvette up to 1973. I look forward to getting an updated version.

Get notified of new replies

To When will Karl Ludvigsen's revised "Star Spangled Sports Car" book come out?

Old 01-24-2013, 02:16 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by LouieM
Great to hear we'll be seeing the revised edition before long. I just signed up to get the announcement for the book. Thanks!
Just signed up myself!

Old 01-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I just signed up! This will be a perfect addition to my Corvette library. Dennis
Old 01-25-2013, 06:42 AM
jerhofer
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Being a Porsche guy as well, I bought the original Excellence Was Expected book in the late 70's and have read it three times. (Slow Learner) This past year I found the a used copy of the recent three volume Excellence Was Expected at a swap meet and read it this past summer.

Even if you are not into Porsches, this is a must read for all car guys. In my opinion, it is a better book than the Corvette book which I have also owned and read numerous times. The reason it is better is that there is more Porsche history to record as it begins at the turn of the 20th century with four wheel drive electric cars, through WW1 vehicles, through the fabulous Mercedes cars of the twenties ,through the fantastic Auto Union grand prix cars of the late 30's, through WW11, and VW, and then finally to the actual Porsche car company. Again, IMO, Karl is the best automotive historian out there by a long shot.

Last edited by jerhofer; 01-25-2013 at 06:50 AM.

Quick Reply: When will Karl Ludvigsen's revised "Star Spangled Sports Car" book come out?