C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

A few laps at the old Marlboro Raceway ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 10:43 PM
FastEddy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default A few laps at the old Marlboro Raceway ???

Who remembers the old Marlboro Raceway in Upper Marlboro Md?? I was 5 when it was shut down in 1970 or so. I thought the Trans-Am series got it's start there?? Well it's still there.....but nothing to race these days, 'cept maybe a few rabbits..... lol

I found out most of the pavement was still there two years ago, and swore as soon as I got my car back together again, that I would find a way to get on the track....and three weeks after getting it running last spring, I did!! I stopped by during a nice fathers day drive.

I was able to run a few laps on the oval, but it was a little dicy with tires slipp'n on the grass!!! The rest of the track is too grown over, but the grandstands and all the pavement is still there - well, except for a section that was washed out by a nearby creek during a storm . Of course there were NO trees near the track back in the day. I just wish I had my movie camera - Haven't made it back yet.

The first picture is approaching the start/finish line.
Attached Images      

Last edited by FastEddy; 10-20-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:00 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

I remember the track but I was never there. Very cool pics of your car on the old track.

http://www.thevintageracer.com/tracks/marlboro.htm
Old 11-24-2011, 11:36 PM
vetrod62
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

That looks as bad as Pocono Drag Lodge when we went to the first annual reunion in 2009. (We raced there in the late 60s to the 70s.) But we did "tear it up" up on the hill at the reunion, if you know what I mean.

The finish line and up hill shut down

Our cars

The return road
Old 11-25-2011, 01:26 AM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Looks similar to Meadowdale at Carpentersville, IL.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:29 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Very cool pics, thaks. Someone with $$$ should resurrect that track.

Q. What's that seam at the front of the drivers side fender running down to the bottom? I don't see one on the passengers, and it's obviously not stock, what's it for? thanks.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:34 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FastEddy
Who remembers the old Marlboro Raceway in Upper Marlboro Md?? I was 5 when it was shut down in 1970 or so. I thought the Trans-Am series got it's start there?? Well it's still there.....but nothing to race these days, 'cept maybe a few rabbits..... lol

I found out most of the pavement was still there two years ago, and swore as soon as I got my car back together again, that I would find a way to get on the track....and three weeks after getting it running last spring, I did!! I stopped by during a nice fathers day drive.

I was able to run a few laps on the oval, but it was a little dicy with tires slipp'n on the grass!!! The rest of the track is too grown over, but the grandstands and all the pavement is still there - well, except for a section that was washed out by a nearby creek during a storm . Of course there were NO trees near the track back in the day. I just wish I had my movie camera - Haven't made it back yet.

The first picture is approaching the start/finish line.
=====================================
You really enjoy your Vette. You drive it, explore with it, you really know how to have fun with your car. I hope to carry on down here what your doing up there. Looks like to much fun.

Keep up the good work.

Ty
Old 11-25-2011, 08:22 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Sky65
I remember the track but I was never there. Very cool pics of your car on the old track.

http://www.thevintageracer.com/tracks/marlboro.htm
the article doesn`t say exactly why the SCCA stopped using the road coarse...any one know the real reason why??
Old 11-25-2011, 09:02 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Who remembers the old Marlboro Raceway in Upper Marlboro Md?? I was 5 when it was shut down in 1970 or so. Well it's still there.....but nothing to race these days, 'cept maybe a few rabbits..... lol
I never got there, but I do remember it.

Marlboro closed in 69, Summit Point in WV was under construction, and the SCCA DC Region had already committed to moving their races to Summit. The SCCA had concerns about the safety of the track. The way I understand it, there were 2 straights, that ran side by side, in opposite directions. The only thing dividing them, was a narrow grass strip and some tires. It was going to be difficult and expensive, to re-configure the track, something that the owners weren't happy or willing to do. So the SCCA went to Summit, and Marlboro closed.

I've stopped by the track a couple times, when I was traveling Rt 301 in that area, but have never had a chance to get in.

I thought the Trans-Am series got it's start there??
1966 was the inaugural season for the Trans-Am. Marlboro was part of the series in 66, but the first Trans-Am race took place at Sebring in March 66. Marlboro's 12 hour race, was the 5th or 6th race, of a total of 7 run that year. The Trans-Am raced at Marlboro again in 67, which was won by Mark Donohue. It was his ever first Trans-Am Series win.

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
I'd love to see it happen, but I don't think it's likely.

The area has built up significantly, since the track closed in 69. There are now housing developments nearby and the creek/swamp area beside the track, is now a nature preserve. Because of this, any effort to reopen the track, would probably meet with "strenuous" opposition from environmentalists, and local homeowners!
Old 11-25-2011, 09:12 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Originally Posted by redvetracr
the article doesn`t say exactly why the SCCA stopped using the road coarse...any one know the real reason why??
Originally Posted by gbvette62

Marlboro closed in 69, Summit Point in WV was under construction, and the SCCA DC Region had already committed to moving their races to Summit. The SCCA had concerns about the safety of the track. The way I understand it, there were 2 straights, that ran side by side, in opposite directions. The only thing dividing them, was a narrow grass strip and some tires. It was going to be difficult and expensive, to re-configure the track, something that the owners weren't happy or willing to do. So the SCCA went to Summit, and Marlboro closed.
Summit Point held a "Marlboro Reunion" vintage race about 5 years ago. Someone from the SCCA DC Region, had put together a slot track replica of Marlboro, and had it at Summit that weekend.

I understand that the DC Region, still has some members involved, that were around in the Marlboro days.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:36 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

these are interesting pictures- thanks for sharing them!
Old 11-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Eddy, you are the man for adventure. I remember Marlboro as a kid going to the go cart races and one SCCA race in the early '60's. Dennis
Old 11-25-2011, 12:07 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It's sad when they close something that has been open for so long. I just found out yesterday that they sold the land that Kansas City International Raceway is on and they are going to build a park.

KCIR is our local drag strip, the next closest one is over an hour away in Topeka KS. Now if I want to bring the cars to the track I'll have to have a trailer. Before if something broke, I could get it brought back home on a flat bed truck.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:28 PM
FastEddy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon

Q. What's that seam at the front of the drivers side fender running down to the bottom? I don't see one on the passengers, and it's obviously not stock, what's it for? thanks.
The property is currently for sale.

The seams? I have not cut and glassed in the front flare panels yet. They are just bolted over top of the stock fenders. The clearance was going to be so tight with the 11" front wheels and 275/50/15 tires, that I didn't want to mount the panels until the front end alignment was done, in case I had to move them forward or back - ends up it looks like I will have to keep them pulled out as much as possible when I cut them in - Problem is, I'm having too much fun driving the car again, to take the time to finish it. I have a feeling I will build the bolt-on rear spoiler I have designed, before I finish the front fenders.

Last edited by FastEddy; 11-25-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:35 PM
FastEddy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gbvette62
The area has built up significantly, since the track closed in 69. There are now housing developments nearby and the creek/swamp area beside the track, is now a nature preserve. Because of this, any effort to reopen the track, would probably meet with "strenuous" opposition from environmentalists, and local homeowners!
Agreed. Part of the track is right next to a marsh - like within 10 feet! Development of the property will surely be limited, but maybe it could be a great go cart track? - for serious carts

A view of the track from the air:

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qg1...MD&form=LMLTCC

Last edited by FastEddy; 11-25-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:57 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The property is currently for sale.

The seams? I have not cut and glassed in the front flare panels yet. They are just bolted over top of the stock fenders. The clearance was going to be so tight with the 11" front wheels and 275/50/15 tires, that I didn't want to mount the panels until the front end alignment was done, in case I had to move them forward or back - ends up it looks like I will have to keep them pulled out as much as possible when I cut them in - Problem is, I'm having too much fun driving the car again, to take the time to finish it. I have a feeling I will build the bolt-on rear spoiler I have designed, before I finish the front fenders.
========================================

Any idea how many acres are for sale?
Depending on the cost, that looks like it would be a fun place own personally.

Ty
Old 11-26-2011, 01:18 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Originally Posted by tyoneal
========================================

Any idea how many acres are for sale?
Depending on the cost, that looks like it would be a fun place own personally.

Ty
I don't know how many acres the property is, but it is large enough to fit the 2 1/2 mile road course on it.

If I remember right, the asking price 4 or 5 years ago was around 3 1/2 to 4 million! Property anywhere near DC is expensive!
Old 11-26-2011, 03:09 AM
UberLegend
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

'67&'70, Marlboro Maroon
The following users liked this post:
mjdart (04-06-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To A few laps at the old Marlboro Raceway ???

Old 11-26-2011, 06:00 AM
MarkL36
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Fast Eddy, we should go check out the old Aquasco speedway a few miles down for Marlboro. It opened in the 50s and closed in 1979 i believe. Its still there, and back in the day hosted all the major drag racers. Mark
Old 11-26-2011, 10:46 AM
plbrand
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Very Nice!

Great photos. Like you, my first exposure to road racing was watching an SCCA National at Marlboro in 1968. I forwarded your photos to Bob Tullius of Group 44 fame, who raced and won at Marlboro many times. I ended up working for him back in the '70's, and we're still friends today, living near Sebring, Florida.

In fact, I watch that race in my '65 C2 Convertible - which I wish I still had, of course - but I ended up selling it in '72 and buying the '70 C3 that I still have and drive! There's a photo of it and my C6 on my profile page.

Thanks very much for sharing...him, wonder if your C2 might be my old car? It was a silver 327/300 4-speed.

PLBrand
Old 11-26-2011, 12:10 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

i remember seeing mark donahue almost get killed there when he was racing a open wheel car. he spun coming up on to the oval and was facing the wrong way and a doctor from new jersey driving a ferrari dove up over marks car and the front bumper stopped about 2 inches from marks face. after that SCCA stopped letting the closed wheel cars and the open wheel cars practice together. i remember riding around the track with ed lowther in his lister corvette on a victory lap holding the checkered flag when the right front wheel fell off. a lap earlier and ed would have been in trouble
The following users liked this post:
mashinter (04-06-2017)

Quick Reply: A few laps at the old Marlboro Raceway ???