C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 v. C2 for a sunday driver

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 01:14 AM
Rosie39j
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C1 v. C2 for a sunday driver

Hey guys - amazing forum. I am (hopefully) learning alot. I know this post will stir a debate, but I have wanted a 58-62 forever and have finally started the serious search. I've come to the conclusion that I want a driver, NOM okay. In studying up, though, I keep seeing people rag on the straight axles in favor of mid-years. Nevertheless, the mid years I've driven have still been pretty rough, too. My first choice style - wise is the C1, but i like the c2's as well. . . - is the C2 really that much smoother or more reliable? I appreciate any guidance you guys can give! :confused:
Old 05-08-2002, 01:54 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Default Re: C1 v. C2 for a sunday driver (Rosie39j)

Rosie39j,

I have owned both (currently have the 62 below so you know where my bias lies), and it's been many years since I had a 66 convert, plus I drove a 70 T-top daily for 15 years (in the snow belt).

Frankly, if you like the C1's, then that is what you should get. Emotion is a very big aspect of owning and maintaining these Vettes. C2's are great cars, but are 35+ years old, and the C1's are 40+ and both will require considerable maintainance to be driven on a regular basis. Parts availability is actually very good for both series, with the edge going to the C2. Both are pretty easy to work on, with the edge going to the C1. Ride for both is not bad for either, but the edge goes to the C2 (C1 seats are not the greatest but that can be altered). Go power can be anything you want, but easier to get a big block with the C2. Brakes for the C1 are not terrific, but there are conversion kits to go to disc brakes. C2's did not have disc until 65. Handling for spirited driving goes to the C2, but the C1 is not as bad as most think (a good suspension overhaul works wonders).

Good luck on your decision,
Old 05-08-2002, 02:22 AM
GTs 58
Melting Slicks

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

Have you been around here for a while? :D Welcome, and I hope everyone here can give you a little help.
I have a C1, but I long for a C2 also. The reliability all depends on the condition of the car and as for comfort and suspension during the cruising, I give the C1 a much lower score than a C2. If your not real old and you don't have a bad back or wish you had A/C, power steering or power brakes, try your luck with the C1. :D
Old 05-08-2002, 03:32 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

For a Sunday driver/fun car, buy what you like. ALL old cars...one's that sit, will be somewhat unreliable. Both C1's and C2's are easy to work on, and parts are readily available. If you're looking for "creature comforts", neither are very good :) The issue about "non disc brakes", "safety", etc. is a "non issue" for me. You'll be buying an antique car, and regardless of upgrades and improvements made over the years between 53 and 67, NONE of them will drive as well or perform as well daily as a new car. Chuck
Old 05-08-2002, 08:09 AM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: C1 v. C2 for a sunday driver (Chuck Gongloff)

...agree with chuck...get what you want....either generation, restored to a mechanically sound condition is great fun....welcome and let us know how the hunt proceeds....remember to take somebody clearly knowledgeable about the car when you go to kick the tires

be :cool:
Old 05-08-2002, 09:31 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

That would be a hard choice even though I hace a 65 Coupe. I like the C1's and the C2's. One of these days I will like to get a C1.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:40 AM
59er
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Rosie39j,

The other guys have covered it all but I just thought I'd add a bit of encouragement to a soon to be antique Vette owner.

Good Luck in your quest!

Mark. :cheers:
Old 05-08-2002, 09:43 AM
Curtis
Racer

<snip>
"...but I have wanted a 58-62 forever and have finally started the serious search"

You have answered your own question. Both cars are old and dated. They both ride a little rough, but I drive a lifted jeep for a daily, so I think my '60 drives nice. I have driven in both and C2's aren't much different if at all. These cars are very old technology. As far as reliability goes, there would be no difference in the cars (as long as the SB is maintained) unless it is a big block. Big blocks are not as reliable as the small block. I have way too much experience with both and I will stick by that conclusion.

Buy a '58-'62 and you will be happy. If you put gas shocks and radial tires on it you may be surprised on how good they drive. As for people that say if you are old or whatever don't buy a C-1, don't listen to that. I see many older guy's driving them. The difference is minimal. I welcome a visit from a C-2 guy here in Florida to compare (open invitation). That would be kind of fun really.

Curt
Old 05-08-2002, 11:04 AM
ARed64
Racer

I personally find the C2s to be more comfortable and roomy. If you are over 6 foot, the leg room is cramped in a C1 compared to a C2. If you have more weight out front than you should, you also may find a C1 a bit cramped as the steering wheel is close. However, I know guys 6'6" and 300+ driving C1s so its really what suits you.

I like the looks of both equally. The C1s have the classic look especially if its red with white coves. However, a lot of people are nostalgic for the original Sting Rays as well. Buy waht you like as long as you feel comfortable driving it.
Old 05-08-2002, 11:07 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Jeff, I see you are from Austin Tx, so drop me an Email if you want to ride in a C1. I have a 60 that I am just now finishing up on, and would be very happy to give you some insights into the the old solid axle cars. They don't ride that great compared to modern cars, but the ear to ear smile on your face will more than make up for any discomfort!!! I am 6 feet tall and 250 lbs. and it kind of a tight squeeze getting in, but that is of little importance when you are driving the most noticable car on the road. I see that you are a lawyer, what firm do you work for? There is a good chance that you are a tenant in one of my buildings. John
:seeya
Old 05-08-2002, 01:07 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Default Re: C1 v. C2 for a sunday driver (John McGraw)

I've had several of both, currently have a '57 (below); with radials and good shocks, ride and handling is quite good. C1 seats leave something to be desired for long trips - C2's are more comfortable in that respect. Once the front suspension and steering box are rebuilt, C1's are nice drivers, and are very simple mechanically - reliable and easy to work on. C2's are more civilized with more accommodating interiors, and are quite reliable too, once the trailing arms/wheel bearings are properly rebuilt and the brake rotors are set up to correct runout specs. I'd like to have one of each... :D

Old 05-08-2002, 05:39 PM
58Vette65
Burning Brakes

I had the same problem as you so I decided on one of each.. :D If you are just going to drive the car easy, take Sunday drives, car shows, and the local cruise-ins then there is no difference - if you want to run it hard buy a C2 would probably be your better choice. They are both fun and each have thier following. If I had to make a choice between them I would keep the '58. I would buy the one you like best!!!
Old 05-08-2002, 09:21 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

In TX - I'd go with a C2 with disk brakes and A-C to drive around. Ask DZVette on this c1-2 forum board. There are C1s out there with A-C retrofits, and with disk brake retrofits - neither of which lend themselves to being "correct" but add a lot to driveability, while offsetting the price of a "correct" car.

I owned a 63 roadster in BUFFALO NY in 1966, and I always said I wouldn't get another unless it had A-C. I'm up here in IL and I just had the A-C in my 66 roadster running on the way to the store today. 86 degrees is too hot for stop and go traffic without A-C to save my nerves.

[Modified by magicv8, 7:39 PM 5/8/2002]
Old 05-08-2002, 10:26 PM
Lightfoot
Le Mans Master

CI 1 through 10 Vet

Rosie,
I was in the same boat as you. With the exception that i wanted a mid-year since i was a teenager (quite some time ago). We both liked the looks of the C1's, in fact that is what we originally began looking for. The time of year we were looking was partly during the hot summer. So the wifey decided she wanted one with air. (she really narrowed the flock there!) I wanted a four speed and matching numbers car to tinker with, so we decided on a mid-year with factory air. Through our search, i did form the opinion that the C2 rode just a little better maybe than the C1's. I think with radial tires and the right shocks, a drastic improvement can be made in either of the cars. Both cars are wonderful and we looked at a lot of both versions. If i could afford it, i would also have at least one of each as some of these fortunate people do. Either way you go, you will surely enjoy yourself and you will surely get hooked just as bad as the rest of us addicts in here!
enjoy the search-that's half the fun!
good luck
Lightfoot
Old 05-08-2002, 10:39 PM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have owned several of both, and currently own a 62 fuelie and a 67 coupe with air and lots of power options. The 67 is easier to drive, and definately wins the creature comfort war. The 62 gets three times the mileage on it that the 67 gets, just because it's more fun to drive. The 67 does handle better, brake better, a lot closer to being an all weather car, etc., but the 62 is the real thrill. There is a 98 convertible in the garage also. It gets fewer miles than either of the vintage cars.
Old 05-08-2002, 11:09 PM
Corvette Cowboy
Instructor

Default Re: C1 v. C2 for a sunday driver (62fuelie)

First of all , welcome. I have been driving my '58 for more than thirty-four years now. It was once my daily driver. It now gets used as a weekend cruiser and I still enjoy it as much as I ever did. Here at the house I am lucky to have the option of driving one of every generation Corvette. My first choice is always the '58. It may not be as comfortable to drive as the others, but it is just as dependable. My advice to you is to get what you really like. Any year Corvette will always be a great ride, but I still like to see the old ones out on the road. I find the older ones get more attention from the general public as well. Good luck with whichever you choose.
Old 05-08-2002, 11:14 PM
Rosie39j
2nd Gear

Default Re: C1 v. C2 for a sunday driver (62fuelie)

Wow, you guys are great. This site is a real community, and I appreciate all the insight. Why didn't I just think of getting one of each? The obvious choice . . . . . I think I'll keep shopping them both and see what I find, but as one of you pointed out, the emotional pull to the C1 is strong. Ya'll hit em straight! JR :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To C1 v. C2 for a sunday driver

Old 05-09-2002, 12:59 AM
nolandadams@d-web.com
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The 1953 to '62 Corvettes have a reputation of driving like a truck. And they can be if they are not properly maintained. The suspension is fifties technology, but if it is in good condition, the car can be a real dream to drive. You can help its handling by installing tapered roller bearings in the front wheels instead of ball bearings. ALso, many owners have used radials on the street with great success.
Overall the suspension and seating arrangement in a C2 will be more comfortable than a C1. Either would be great, just pay attention to their mechanical condition.
-Noland Adams
Old 05-09-2002, 03:19 AM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

Ok I have to put in my 2 bits here. We have to realize that part of the romance of owning one of these beauties be it C-1 or C-2 is re-living what it was like to experience something from a bygone era. Something that will never be again and something that fewer and fewer have the real pleasure to experience. If ya gotta have all the creature comforts buy a new one but if you want a REAL drivin experience where your REALLY have to Drive the car and put in some driver input and seat of the pants feel then you can appreciate the C-1 and C2s. There is a distinct pleasure in driving a raw unspoiled machine and it takes a MAN to handle one. Kind of like a good woman - who wants one that does everything you say and doesn't have a personality of her own. Give me one who challenges me and makes me work for what I want. Oooh yeah! The two are a lot alike. Sometimes cantankerous and temperamental and sometimes playful and eager to give you pleasure. :yesnod: :D
Old 05-09-2002, 06:30 PM
Big Block 60
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

C 1's have a trunk. :D

Quick Reply: C1 v. C2 for a sunday driver