C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Split Personality up for sale

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 09:32 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Split Personality up for sale

Did anybody notice that Rich is selling his 63 at the Mecum auction next month in Florida?

http://mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail...&entryRow=1080

A gorgeous car, and I hope it brings what he needs for it! I predict that if it sells, we will be seeing a new project starting in short order!

Regards, John McGraw
Old 12-22-2011, 10:33 AM
BrentF
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Here's Mecum's write-up:

No-one builds a Corvette with more fervor, commitment and attention to detail than Rich Lagasse, as this 1963 Split Window coupe demonstrates. This is the third car of this type he has built and, by any measure, the best in his self-described “Pro-Classic” series of personalized Corvettes. Like his earlier efforts, this rolling object d’art, dubbed “Split Personality”, is the result of the accumulated talents and efforts of family and friends in the hobby which required 4 years from design to completion and over 12,000 hours of their efforts out of a total of 15,000 hours of labor. The theme for this car was to combine the original styling of the first Z06 model offered with the latest Corvette technology.

Based on an original C2 coupe, the car is built on a SRIII Motorsports tube frame which was hand-smoothed by Lagasse and epoxy primed and painted by Corvette Center in Newington, CT. Every piece of the C5 front- and C4 rear suspension was smoothed, polished and then chrome-plated, including numerous custom components. Baer EradiSpeed rotors and Michelin Pilot Sport radials combine with custom polished aluminum wheels and Z06 bake calipers to complete the rolling stock.

The driveline combines a 550-plus HP LS7 427 engine, polished 6-speed Tremec T-56 transmission and Dana 44 third member with 3.90 gears, every piece hand finished to gleaming perfection. Special engine bay features include a custom Be Cool radiator and expansion tank, a custom dry sump tank and a custom Rochester-fuel-injection-style intake cover - the perfect finishing touch tying the modern power-plant to its period roots.

Interior Motives in Manchester, CT stitched the two-tone Grey leather interior, which was designed by Lagasse to emphasize the 1963 model’s basic design while incorporating subtle modern elements like C5 seats, unique gauges by Classic Instruments, power windows, Vintage Air, rear-view camera/monitor and a multi-speaker sound system. Amongst dozens of one-off designs throughout the car, and typical of the amount of thought put into the project, is the specially-designed “Split Personality” headrest embroidery inspired by the factory “Z06” insignias.

“Split Personality” made its debut at the 2008 Detroit Autorama, where it contended for the coveted Ridler Award and eventually received four awards: First in Class, Outstanding Sports Car, Outstanding Paint and the CASI Cup for Best in Show. Since then the car has won a total of 52 awards and prizes, including numerous Best of Shows and individual awards for Outstanding Sports Car, Paint, Undercarriage, Engine and Detail. It was also the International Show Car Association Full Sports Class National Champion. It has been the cover feature car in several magazines, most memorably as the subject of an 8-part series of articles in Corvette Fever magazine beginning in the February 2007 issue and culminating in a February 2009 feature story.

The “Split Personality” 1963 Corvette is possibly the most decorated and popular custom Corvette ever, and for good reason: it was a labor of love, one that has rewarded its creators and inspired its admirers, and that will long stand as the highest example of the custom automobile as art form.

HIGHLIGHTS

- International Show Car Association Class Champion with numerous Best in Shows
- Called "America's Best Vette-Rod" by Corvette Fever magazine
- 15,000 hours and four years spent in design and construction
- Fully detailed LS7 Corvette 427/550 HP dry sump engine
- Polished Tremec 6-speed transmission
- Dana 44 differential
- Polished and chromed Corvette suspension; QA1 coilover springs and shocks
- Custom billet wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport tires
- Corvette Z06 brakes and Baer rotors
- Power steering and electronic/hydraulic power brakes
- Original 1963 body with over 100 subtle modifications
- Special mix urethane Red paint
- Custom front and rear bumpers
- Custom two-tone Grey leather interior
- C5 seats and custom interior panels using original 63 design patterns
- Custom electronic gauges
Old 12-22-2011, 10:38 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,557 Likes on 2,161 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Rich sent me an e-mail last week about this. I was surprised. I will be there to see it go through. He has the right time slot, I think.

It's an amazing car. I can't wait to see what he comes up with next.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:48 AM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's going to make someone very happy to own that car!
Old 12-22-2011, 03:14 PM
futura
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

Found the link

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...w=123&lottype=
Old 12-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

I remember the pics of him buffing and polishing EVERY nut, bolt, and washers. Seeing any of his cars in person is a treat.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:11 PM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 64 Posts

wow is that nice I love what he did with the interior
Old 12-22-2011, 10:31 PM
golfer9491
Pro

Can't wait to see this car in person. Would love to add it to the collection.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:42 AM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

John,

Another friend mentioned your post and I wanted to thank you.

Making the decision to potentially part with the 63 didn’t come easy. What got us thinking about it was my mother’s health which has limited our ability to participate in the shows we had originally planned for the past two years. We just can’t take the risk of being away at a long-distance event and unable to get back quickly should the need arise. Once you are in an indoor show it’s virtually impossible to get out and it wouldn’t be fair to the show promoter in any event.

Never having been to an auction we began asking folks with auction experience what they would recommend. They were all high on Mecum and particularly the Kissimmee auction. We had been hoping to take a few days vacation in Florida and saw that Mecum’s auction would be held about the same time we had planned to be there. We have to arrive for setup on the 21st but the 63 isn’t scheduled to cross the block until the following Saturday evening at 7 pm. So, it will be a loooong week and no doubt we will need some vacation afterwards. A forum friend was nice enough to offer to let us park our rig at his place so we can head out for a few days.

I’ve been out here getting the car cleaned and polished. Candidly, while working on the undersides, it brought back vivid memories of what it took to build this car. I began having second thoughts about the possibility of it being sold. I do have a couple of ideas for another project but one thing both Barb and I have agreed upon is that it sure won’t be another car like the 63. That was a once in a life-time project for us and I likely wouldn’t live through another one like that.

The auction will be a completely new experience for us and we have no idea what will happen. But, it should be an interesting experience and we’re looking forward both to the auction and the vacation afterwards.

Thanks again,

Rich
Old 01-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Ron Champe
Pro

Rich.....best of luck to you and Barb at the auction. Drive safely.
Ron.....
Old 01-06-2012, 11:54 AM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,273 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I assume this will be on the Velocity channel on Sat. 28th 2012 at 7:00pm. Good luck
Old 01-06-2012, 03:03 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default 63

Rich: I remember reading about the birth of the car in Corvette Fever. Over the Top is an under statement. Before you start your next car, consider making a DVD of the 63 build. Count me in for the first copy. Best of luck on the sale, I will be watching after the Old Town show. Jerry
Old 01-06-2012, 04:52 PM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dahogan
I assume this will be on the Velocity channel on Sat. 28th 2012 at 7:00pm. Good luck
Yes, they have just expanded the TV coverage to 32 hours. Friday and Saturday's coverage runs from 2 to 10 pm. After having being there for a full week we are going to need that vacation.......

Thanks for the best wishes. We'll see how things go. Guess I should consider getting a haircut just in case we are on TV.......

Rich
Old 01-06-2012, 05:44 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Nice!

Old 01-06-2012, 07:35 PM
StephenSLR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does Mecum give any ballpark figures for what the cars on auction will fetch?

s
Old 01-07-2012, 09:41 AM
BOB WINSKI
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Rich, good luck with the auction.I hope it brings more then you are asking for it.''OUTSTANDING''workmanship.We will be there rooting it on.Bob W
Old 01-09-2012, 01:48 PM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BOB WINSKI
Rich, good luck with the auction.I hope it brings more then you are asking for it.''OUTSTANDING''workmanship.We will be there rooting it on.Bob W
Thanks for the best wishes. We expect it to be an interesting but draining experience since we will have spent many hours a day there and for an entire week. If we do appear on TV just look for the two people with bags under their eyes..... :o)) We're planning to spend a few days at Disney and no doubt will need that vacation to decompress.

You just never know what type of buyer will be at an auction and those who would have an interest particularly in this economy. You just have to find someone who really likes that type of car, appreciates how it was built, likes what was done and willing to part with some of their disposable income.......... It seems that many potential buyers are looking for a real bargain. Nothing wrong with that as those might be the real smart people vs. those of us who insist on building things ourselves.

I finished the cleaning and polishing regimen on Saturday. It sure looks good and, candidly, it's giving me second thoughts about the potential to part with it. We are ready to part with the 63 if it hits the reserve but we would have no problem bringing it home. Barb feels the same way. So, whatever happens, we will be okay with that.

Thanks again,

Rich

Get notified of new replies

To Split Personality up for sale

Old 01-09-2012, 04:12 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 616 Likes on 359 Posts

What a gorgeous car that is, and I hate red! but love that one!! Good luck on the Auction
I now will now not get pissed when doing a tedious job after seeing the work you have done. Simply amazing
I will start the bidding at $40.00 +2th farmers black C2! Oh what the hell I'll throw in his 2007 too
Old 01-09-2012, 04:28 PM
carcrazyandbroke
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I hope that guy that nitpicks matching numbers and correct wheels and all is not there....you know the one I'm talking about..it not being a matching numbers car and all....just saying

On the serious side, that is one beautiful piece of work. Hope you "knock it out of the park" at the auction.

Last edited by carcrazyandbroke; 01-09-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:46 PM
tdelph
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rich,

I love all your cars. If you do another one I cant wait to see what you do.

Tim

Quick Reply: Split Personality up for sale