C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1964 SCCA Green Valley and Austin races. Check out the funny looking Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 07:59 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Default 1964 SCCA Green Valley and Austin races. Check out the funny looking Corvettes

There are some strange Corvettes in these pictures. Funny flairs and hoods.

http://www.cliffreuter.com/etceterin...ytexas1964.htm
The following users liked this post:
Greg Hollowaty (08-04-2018)
Old 12-23-2011, 08:07 PM
gotz06?
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool pics
Old 12-23-2011, 08:11 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Here's another set of pictures.

http://www.ferrariexperts.com/etcete...r%20photos.htm

In the first set, abut half way down the page, check out the #26 B/prod Jaguar and the working conditions.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:25 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing
Here's another set of pictures.

http://www.ferrariexperts.com/etcete...r%20photos.htm

In the first set, abut half way down the page, check out the #26 B/prod Jaguar and the working conditions.
I think that Jaguar is at the scene of it's own accident.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:30 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Great historical pics. I will have a commentary tomorrow. Thanks for posting.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:02 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

cool pics, thanks for sharing...
Old 12-24-2011, 10:16 AM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

Nice 1957 Chrysler 300C push car !

Ray
Old 12-24-2011, 11:29 AM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Many of the "high end" cars seen here still around and show up to vintage race at Monterey Historics at Laguna Seca each August. One of those Ferrari 250TR's as seen in a couple of these pictures sold at auction in August by RM for $16.3 million!! The Grand Sports and Cobras all million dollar cars now. Back then year old race cars would have been cheap as rules and technology obsoleted them.
Beatiful pictures and history.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:10 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

I am from Houston, grew up in the SOW division, and my first competition was at Green Valley Raceway. I also raced at the defunct Austin street races (held in conjunction with the Austin Aqua Festival), and won my class (AP) there in 1977. I knew and raced with many of the people (and cars) shown in these wonderful pictures.
Many of these drivers are characters (like Delmo Johnson shown in his 1963 Corvette Grand Sport) I will identify and comment on some of them. I'm almost 71, so please consider that if you differ with my opinions
#63 is Lotus 23B driven by Mason Okeefe. I believe that Mason O'Keefe, Homer Rader, and Ed Tucker were the owners of "Lotus Southwest" in Dallas, Texas.
Correction, substitute Gus Hutchinson for Mason O'Kiefe as Lotus SW owners
#0 Lotus 27 Formula Junior driven by Homer Rader
#81 is a Triumph TR-3 owned and driven by Buell Owen. Buell once offered to sell me that car for $200 WITH trailer after a race weekend at Seguin, TX.
#3 is a Porsche Speedster driven by radiologist Dr. Vincent P. Collins, who (with his son) was a friend back when I owned my 356A coupe and we were both wrenched by Johnny Adams Car Clinic.
#8 says Lotus 23B driven by John Mecom, but I never know John to drive a Lotus 23B???
#69 is a very special piece, a Kurtis Kraft Indy roadster WITH the addition of removable fenders so that it could race as either a (open wheel) Formula class car, OR as a sports car, and driven by Houston Harley Davidson store owner Herb Stelter.
#87 Dethomaso/Alfa "Formula Senior", owned by John Mecom, and driven by his friend John Henry Kirby.
#00 Lola GT Coupe (also John Mecom's). This is the ONLY one ever manufactured with a Chevrolet engine, and was destroyed in an accident at Road America.
#71 Cobra, owned by Gene Hammond Ford of Texas City, Texas, and driven capably by Houstonian Bill Steel. The picture shows tha initial configuration before it was turned into a Factory Cobra racecar replica with fender flares, and Webbers. This car dominated SowDiv A Production racing in the 60s.
#17 says D-Type Jaguar, but it is Bill fuller's XKSS (which came from a D-Type) with a Chevy engine. Very fast car, and fun to watch "drift".
#15 is a homebuilt formula "Special" called FoMoCo with solid rear axle, 289 Ford engine, and 58 Buick aluminum drum brakes. The driveshaft ran through the cockpit! However, in this picture, The car is owned by doctors Zol Petraney and Vincent Collins, who have replaced the engine with a 63 327 FI Corvette engine.
#93 is a famous Genie "Modified" that was a predecessor to Group 6 CanAM cars. It was owned and raced by Col. George Kohne, who unfortunately burned to death in an accident in testing at Riverside, but the car was reborn as a Vintage racer, and races successfully today.
#27 EP Alfa Romeo driven by Joe Locario
#64 HM (Mercury outboard powered) driven by Matt McCluggan
#45 AP Cobra owned and driven by Ed Lowthar, not Graham Shaw

Finally, #17 Maserati Chevy (several pictures) say that it was driven by Alan Sevajian, owner of today's Duntov Motors. I contacted Alan, but havin't heard back from him, so I can't confirm or deny? Great story tho. Correction, Alan's father drove the 250S Maserati

Last edited by 63Corvette; 12-26-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:16 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
#15 is a homebuilt formula "Special" called FoMoCo with solid rear axle, 289 Ford engine, and 58 Buick aluminum drum brakes. The driveshaft ran through the cockpit! However, in this picture, The car is owned by doctors Zol Petraney and Vincent Collins, who have replaced the engine with a 63 327 FI Corvette engine..
Zoltan! I'll be darned. I know from my parents he was instrumental in the early days of SJCC. I met him in about 1981 at an SJCC reunion.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:16 PM
32361ARTHUR
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am from Houston, grew up in the SOW division, and my first competition was at Green Valley Raceway. I also raced at the defunct Austin street races (held in conjunction with the Austin Aqua Festival), and won my class (AP) there in 1977. I knew and raced with many of the people (and cars) shown in these wonderful pictures.
Many of these drivers are characters (like Delmo Johnson shown in his 1963 Corvette Grand Sport) I will identify and comment on some of them. I'm almost 71, so please consider that if you differ with my opinions
#63 is Lotus 23B driven by Mason Okeefe. I believe that Mason O'Keefe, Homer Rader, and Ed Tucker were the owners of "Lotus Southwest" in Dallas, Texas.
#0 Lotus 27 Formula Junior driven by Homer Rader
#81 is a Triumph TR-3 owned and driven by Buell Owen. Buell once offered to sell me that car for $200 WITH trailer after a race weekend at Seguin, TX.
#3 is a Porsche Speedster driven by radiologist Dr. Vincent P. Collins, who (with his son) was a friend back when I owned my 356A coupe and we were both wrenched by Johnny Adams Car Clinic.
#8 says Lotus 23B driven by John Mecom, but I never know John to drive a Lotus 23B???
#69 is a very special piece, a Kurtis Kraft Indy roadster WITH the addition of removable fenders so that it could race as either a (open wheel) Formula class car, OR as a sports car, and driven by Houston Harley Davidson store owner Herb Stelter.
#87 Dethomaso/Alfa "Formula Senior", owned by John Mecom, and driven by his friend John Henry Kirby.
#00 Lola GT Coupe. This is the ONLY one ever manufactured with a Chevrolet engine, and was destroyed in an accident at Road America.
#71 Cobra, owned by Gene Hammond Ford of Texas City, Texas, and driven capably by Houstonian Bill Steel. The picture shows tha initial configuration before it was turned into a Factory Cobra racecar replica with fender flares, and Webbers. This car dominated SowDiv A Production racing in the 60s.
#17 says D-Type Jaguar, but it is Bill fuller's XKSS (which came from a D-Type) with a Chevy engine. Very fast car, and fun to watch "drift".
#15 is a homebuilt formula "Special" called FoMoCo with solid rear axle, 289 Ford engine, and 58 Buick aluminum drum brakes. The driveshaft ran through the cockpit! However, in this picture, The car is owned by doctors Zol Petraney and Vincent Collins, who have replaced the engine with a 63 327 FI Corvette engine.
#93 is a famous Genie "Modified" that was a predecessor to Group 6 CanAM cars. It was owned and raced by Col. George Kohne, who unfortunately burned to death in an accident in testing at Riverside, but the car was reborn as a Vintage racer, and races successfully today.
Finally, #17 Maserati Chevy (several pictures) say that it was driven by Alan Sevajian, owner of today's Duntov Motors. I contacted Alan, but havin't heard back from him, so I can't confirm or deny? Great story tho.
By any chance did you know a fella by the name of REX RAMSEY?
Old 12-24-2011, 05:24 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Zoltan! I'll be darned. I know from my parents he was instrumental in the early days of SJCC. I met him in about 1981 at an SJCC reunion.
Dr Zol Petraney and Dr Collins ALSO designed the famous "Isolation Trailer" in which the initial Moon landing Astronaughts were confined after their successful moon landing and return to Earth. I went to school at Lamar Tech in Beaumont with John Hirasaki, who was another resident of that trailer during their quaranteen time

Sorry, but I may have met Rex Ramsey, but the name does not ring a bell at this time.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:40 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

I went to school at Lamar Tech in Beaumont with John Hirasaki, who was another resident of that trailer during their quaranteen time.
I haven't seen him in about 3 years, but as recently as 2008 John was still working at JSC, and his daily driver was a 65 Shelby Mustang clone (white with blue stripe).

When I crossed paths with John I had no idea I was interacting with someone of such significance.

http://hirasaki.net/Family_Stories/Apollo11.htm

I understand John McVeigh, also from SJCC, did much of the early testing of the first cool suit that would become critical to astronauts, and later used in various forms in autoracing.

Last edited by 62Jeff; 12-24-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:31 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Jeff If you should see John again, please give him my reagards and my contact info as I would love to hear from him. When I last saw him, we attended tha screening of Arthur Clarkes 2001 Space Odessy. John was married to a beautiful red headed engineer, and driving a Ferrari 250GT.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:12 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Jeff If you should see John again, please give him my reagards and my contact info as I would love to hear from him. When I last saw him, we attended tha screening of Arthur Clarkes 2001 Space Odessy. John was married to a beautiful red headed engineer, and driving a Ferrari 250GT.
Ummmm, that's odd. I vividly remember going to see that movie with my parents and (I think) a group from the corvette club, at a movie theater on the west side of Houston, maybe off Richmond, when it first premiered. I was about 5 years old.

I can't find John listed in the JSC e-mail system, he may have retired. I'll ask a friend of mine who worked with him, to find out where he went.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:52 AM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great memories. I remember running at Green Valley as late as 1980. I also recall watching Tom Moore ruHenie 63 in the River City road races in Austin in the early 70's
Old 12-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,728 Likes on 810 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Half way down there is a pic of a Terlingua racing decal on the side of the Grand Sport. Someone's idea of a mean practical joke, as that was Shelby's Logo for the GT-350 racing team. Insult to injury

Get notified of new replies

To 1964 SCCA Green Valley and Austin races. Check out the funny looking Corvettes

Old 12-25-2011, 01:07 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 66since71
Great memories. I remember running at Green Valley as late as 1980. I also recall watching Tom Moore ruHenie 63 in the River City road races in Austin in the early 70's
Yes, I know Tom (from Austin) well. In fact, he rebuilt the steering box on my 63 Z06 back in...................................... ........um, 1981

Dan, you are correct, except that it was the Shelby TransAm (notchback) team Mustangs.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:17 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, I know Tom (from Austin) well. In fact, he rebuilt the steering box on my 63 Z06 back in...................................... ........um, 1981
Tom Moore, Longhorn Corvette Club? Red 63 and white 63 as of 30 years ago? Drove an early 60s Falcon with a hi-po mustang motor in the late 1970s as a daily driver?

By the way Garrett, my dad says "hi".
Old 12-25-2011, 02:14 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,728 Likes on 810 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Dan, you are correct, except that it was the Shelby TransAm (notchback) team Mustangs.
You are right. I stand corrected. Great pics. Thanks for posting.

Quick Reply: 1964 SCCA Green Valley and Austin races. Check out the funny looking Corvettes