C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Vietnam Veterans patch

Old 12-23-2011, 08:51 PM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Vietnam Veterans patch

Several months ago a poster designed a Corvette Vietnam Veterans patch and a forum member picked up the tab so I asked for one. I sewed in my jacket and people started asking me when I was in Vietnam and many were guys my own age and I relalized these guys were also Vietnam Vets. When I went in stores like Home Depot sales clerks asked me for my ID and I had no idea what they were talking about. I had been discharged 40 years ago. Others thanked me for my service. All I ever remembered from my Vietnam experiance was being called a baby killer. I really did not share my Vietnam experiance past much as honestly it left me kind of bitter toward the Army in general. I never used the VA for anything as I figured all the stories I heard were true about poor care in VA hospitals - at least the ones in New York in the 1970's which had rat infested wards. But as I met other Vets and started feel some kind of brotherhood I never knew existed, I got in touch with my local VA and asked about getting a service ID card. The treatment I recieved blew me away. They made me feel important. They were the nicest bunch of people I have met in a long time. They even took my blood pressure and asked if I needed any medical care which I did not need since I have such a super insurance plan at work. But that little patch really started opening some doors and I can really say I am proud to be part of a group of guys I fought with. I don't need to feel I have to apologize to anyone anymore. Thanks for a great patch that really brought some needed healing in my life.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:54 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

That's awesome. Thank you for your service.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Bob's 64
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Have been using the VA medical for the past 15 years. The best as far as I'm concerned.

So good that I made them my primary care.

Good luck to you, and thank you.

Bob D.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:41 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 527 Likes on 376 Posts

PS374,

Great post!

I also have VA as my primary care provider (since 2005), and feel they do a great job.

I do have some health issues that have to be monitored on at least a monthly basis, and have always been treated very well. That included a couple of "minor" operations, of which one required a 4 day hospital stay, and then one illness requiring a 3 day hospital stay in quarintine (got a private room out of that one).

The VA Corvette patch was awesome, and is really appreciated. That includes the windshield "clings" that I have on both my Vettes.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 12-23-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:34 AM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Great post ps374!

Prior to getting my patches and decal for the windshield I had a license plate frame on the front of my 62 with US Army Viet Nam Vet .It has helped me reconnect with other Veterans,not to mentions a lot of thank-yous and hugs from people that appreciate the sacrifices.

Thanks again for the patches.

Rich

Get notified of new replies

To Vietnam Veterans patch

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vietnam Veterans patch