C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Headlight bucket

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 12:13 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 616 Likes on 359 Posts

Default Headlight bucket

If I want to remove the entire Headlight bucket from the car 63), can the entire motor assembly and gear box be removed all at once or must you remove, motor, then remove other pieces one at a time before pulling the bucket?
It feels like the only thing holding the entire assembly into the bucket is the point where the gear box enters the bucket at the moment.
I have the motor support disconnected, the three screws that hold the gear box to the side of the bucket through the frame loose, or removed, is there anything else? The motor was taken to the point where it dragged and backed off 6 turns. So I can remove motor separately I was just hoping the whole assembly can be removed at once?

Last edited by TC233; 12-27-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:44 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Got the answer- motor first
Then the Y piece which is bolt compressed around the shaft
Then the last portion which includes the shaft, the ball and the cup that goes into the inboard side of the headlight bucket
Old 12-27-2011, 02:26 PM
blue63cpe
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be very careful with the stop "Y piece". They are fragile. If your bucket is painted, tape it so it don't get scratched. Go slow and good luck.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:48 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by blue63cpe
Be very careful with the stop "Y piece". They are fragile. If your bucket is painted, tape it so it don't get scratched. Go slow and good luck.
Got it done. I swear to god whoever worked on this car before I got it, had a commercial license for anti-seize. Even the header bolts came out with ease. This is such a treat to work on. I am used to using 40 cans of WD40 on a simple job up here in "Rusta-popolis". 48 year old Arizona Car, its truly unbelievable.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:24 PM
splidecision63
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TC233
Got it done. I swear to god whoever worked on this car before I got it, had a commercial license for anti-seize. Even the header bolts came out with ease. This is such a treat to work on. I am used to using 40 cans of WD40 on a simple job up here in "Rusta-popolis". 48 year old Arizona Car, its truly unbelievable.
Dont start saying how easy it is until you start putting the headlight assembly back in. You better save your cussing untill then, : *****:
Good Luck
Old 12-27-2011, 10:27 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by splidecision63
Dont start saying how easy it is until you start putting the headlight assembly back in. You better save your cussing untill then, : *****:
Good Luck
I have put it back in twice today just to ensure that I know exactly how things go. The next time the bucket goes in, it will be repainted so have to get the process down pat.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight bucket

Quick Reply: Headlight bucket