C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

59 Windshield Post Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Workin On 59
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 59 Windshield Post Questions

Does anyone know the factory length of the two 5/16 inch mounting studs on a 59 windshield frame? More specifically I'm interested to know how far they should protrude from the post base.

On one of my rechromed posts the rear stud sticks out about 7/8 of an inch and that will reach through the cowl fiberglass far enough to get the washers and nut on it. The other stud on that post and both studs on the other post stick out only about 1/2 inch and will not reach through the cowl fiberglass far enough to get the washers and nut on them.

Is there a practical way to back out the three short studs (I tried a vice grip over a rag but no go)........or maybe the previous owner has too much fiberglass (too thick) where the posts mount.

Information and ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks, Doug
Old 01-10-2012, 10:57 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Well here is a pic of my '61 windshield frame prior to installation...not sure how far the studs stick out but it looks like a healthy amount certainly more than 1/2 inch. You can almost always back out a stud by locking two nuts together on the stud with two wrenches and then start turning the innermost nut counter-clockwise and it should bind against the outermost nut and start the stud out of the hole...when extended far enough take the two wrenches and break the two nuts back apart. Other methods, e.g. vice grips, will just F* things up royally...
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-10-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:58 AM
Waffle
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay, i put down my wine, climbed off the couch, rustled thru my garage and measured the studs on my '58 posts.... 1" protrusion, both sides. Not sure if that helps, but thats what i got. i gotta get this car back together ... took me a bit to remember where the things were!
Old 01-11-2012, 05:34 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

1" is about right. Make sure that if you start messing with them, that you use some locktite or similar on the front stud. If you look inside the post, you'll see that the front threaded hole goes all the way through. If the threads on the stud are not clean, and it starts to spin upwards, you'll break your glass.......

Mike Coletta
Old 01-11-2012, 09:07 AM
Workin On 59
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the information, guys. Frankie, I had thought of the two nut locked together idea but have not tried that yet. I will do that next.

Mike, good point on protecting the glass with locktite on the front stud that can work through to the glass. I noticed that the post base was drilled and threaded clear through and my first thought on that was also to secure it with locktite. Do you have a recommendation on which color locktite?

As usual this forum is a huge help. Doug
Old 01-11-2012, 10:07 AM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Workin On 59
Does anyone know the factory length of the two 5/16 inch mounting studs on a 59 windshield frame? More specifically I'm interested to know how far they should protrude from the post base.
The shortest on my '59 original windshield protrudes 0.85 inch.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:28 AM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by mike coletta
1" is about right. Make sure that if you start messing with them, that you use some locktite or similar on the front stud. If you look inside the post, you'll see that the front threaded hole goes all the way through. If the threads on the stud are not clean, and it starts to spin upwards, you'll break your glass.......

Mike Coletta
No S%^T! Trust us on this one...Ask Whit as well......Booger up the threads or whatever you need to do to keep that stud from going in too far!

Get notified of new replies

To 59 Windshield Post Questions

Quick Reply: 59 Windshield Post Questions