C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How to get the old carpet foam off?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 10:38 AM
Lou64
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to get the old carpet foam off?

I am removing old carpet from my 64 and most the foam comes off, but it leaves a bit with glue residue. Anyone else experience this? What works well to get it off? I am thinking about sandpaper, but don't know if there are any products out there to assist me. Looked through some old threads but never found anything.

Here you can see part of my passenger footwell with all the foam on it and part where I have scraped foam off but there is still the residue:

Old 01-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

It looks like someone did it wrong and made a mess. You should have jute padding glued to the floor, then carpet glued. Just keep scraping. Maybe use a wire brush, but NO chemicals. We all discover some real "pain projects" in our cars. Good luck! Dennis
Old 01-17-2012, 11:32 AM
daz_au
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

I did my '64 coupe 3 weeks ago. I had the jute padding so when I took all the carpet out I was left with a car full of fuzzy fiberglass. I searched the forum, some people used a product called "Goof Off". I did try it on a small section but the smell was so bad and although it worked, I was paranoid about it damaging the floor and you still had to wash it all down.

I ended up just scraping all day with a metal 3" scraper. The glue was so old and brittle, it would break up if you worked at it. You dont have to get it perfect, I was putting new jute down so at long at the surface is close to flat and free of loose glue/padding, the new glue will stick fine.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Lou64
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by daz_au
I did my '64 coupe 3 weeks ago. I had the jute padding so when I took all the carpet out I was left with a car full of fuzzy fiberglass. I searched the forum, some people used a product called "Goof Off". I did try it on a small section but the smell was so bad and although it worked, I was paranoid about it damaging the floor and you still had to wash it all down.

I ended up just scraping all day with a metal 3" scraper. The glue was so old and brittle, it would break up if you worked at it. You dont have to get it perfect, I was putting new jute down so at long at the surface is close to flat and free of loose glue/padding, the new glue will stick fine.
I was planning on a layer of Lizard Skin before the carpet, so it needs to be pretty clean. I think an orbital sander may be in order, or angle grinder with wire brush attached...
Old 01-17-2012, 12:11 PM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

You might try 3m adhesive remover. Mike Coletta had some stuff than came in a qt can as well which worked better on removing weatherstrip adhesive.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:33 PM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.

Originally Posted by toms silver 60
You might try 3m adhesive remover. Mike Coletta had some stuff than came in a qt can as well which worked better on removing weatherstrip adhesive.
If that does not work a wire brush will be what a PITA it will be.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:40 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

3M Adhesive Remover not the 3M Adhesive Cleaner.

Give it time to work. It'll do a real good job.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

I just tried some Goo-Gone Gel (orange bottle at Walmart). Used it on the old weatherstrip adhesive on my C2 doors. It worked very well, soaked 10 min.
This stuff isn't toxic like OOPs, citrus based. The glue came off just by wiping with a paper towel. Remove any leftover with soapy water in a sprayer.
It didn't affect the paint at all.
This will be on the shelf in my shop from now on.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:41 PM
chrislyn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3M adhesive remover works very well. you have to get the area wet and let it sit for a few minutes and scrape it off .Ventilation is important.Remember give the product time to work. It will not harm the fiberglass. I did my front floors in about an hour and a half.It came clean right to the fiberglass. You can get it in spray or quart cans. The quart can has a little spout so when you squeeze the can a wet stream comes out. If you are going to do all the carpet area you may need a few cans .
Old 01-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Lou64
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill32
I just tried some Goo-Gone Gel (orange bottle at Walmart). Used it on the old weatherstrip adhesive on my C2 doors. It worked very well, soaked 10 min.
This stuff isn't toxic like OOPs, citrus based. The glue came off just by wiping with a paper towel. Remove any leftover with soapy water in a sprayer.
It didn't affect the paint at all.
This will be on the shelf in my shop from now on.
Originally Posted by chrislyn
3M adhesive remover works very well. you have to get the area wet and let it sit for a few minutes and scrape it off .Ventilation is important.Remember give the product time to work. It will not harm the fiberglass. I did my front floors in about an hour and a half.It came clean right to the fiberglass. You can get it in spray or quart cans. The quart can has a little spout so when you squeeze the can a wet stream comes out. If you are going to do all the carpet area you may need a few cans .
Thanks guys, I will pick up some of each on my way home today and see which one works best and report back.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:14 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

IMHO

The "best" way to remove that is with a scraper. The foam is too thick to use adhesive remover. It will evaporate before it emulsifies.

Get your scraper out and get to work!

63-64 use foam backing and no jute or other insulation.

I didn't want the lizard skin (my preference).

I opted for hushmat (helped the heat by 50% but not enough. Great for sound reduction) I then topped that with a ceramic blanket over the tunnel. Ceramic inserts topped by (non original for 63) jute under the front floor well carpet and the rear deck.

I also hushmatted my hardtop. With the hardtop on, it is modern quiet. Except for the wind noise around the windows.

Have fun, you are on your way to a tighter,cooler C2.

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 01-17-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:41 PM
duke64c2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just done my 64. Power wire wheel will work but what a mess. Not good to breath either. I found a 1" or so scrapper and keeping it sharp worked the best. Just a matter of keeping at it. Good luck.
Duke
Old 01-17-2012, 03:44 PM
Lou64
Burning Brakes

Weird seeing your handle, as the license plate my late father in law had on his vette was "PDUKE 64".
Old 01-17-2012, 03:46 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Scraper - 20 minute job..
Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2012, 04:16 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey

Originally Posted by 1sttexan
The only way to remove that is with a scraper. The foam is too thick to use adhesive remover. It will evaporate before it emulsifies....
Doesn't quite work that way.

Think about it.

If that were the case, you'd never be able to get the weatherstrip off a door. I also wouldn't have been able to get the rear hatch weatherstrip off my Squareback, totally intact and undamaged, yesterday.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:25 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sttexan
The only way to remove that is with a scraper. The foam is too thick to use adhesive remover. It will evaporate before it emulsifies.

:
The GooGone's different, it's thin enough to soak in and it will sit there for hours without evaporating. Tried it on one part and let it sit 3 hours, it was wtill wet. Plus it has no fumes.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:38 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by nassau66427
Doesn't quite work that way.

Think about it.

If that were the case, you'd never be able to get the weatherstrip off a door. I also wouldn't have been able to get the rear hatch weatherstrip off my Squareback, totally intact and undamaged, yesterday.

Not only did I think about it. I tried it. 3m adhesive remover will not work well on that foam.

A little glue on the back of a rubberstrip is quite different from many sq ft of foam.

Scraper is still your best bet! I had that foam crap all over my interior. Took me about 45 minutes and no chemical expenses or fumes.

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 01-17-2012 at 04:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To How to get the old carpet foam off?

Old 01-17-2012, 04:49 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

3M Adhesive Remover isn't intended to soak through what you're trying to remove.

You go your way and I'll go mine.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:04 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by nassau66427
3M Adhesive Remover isn't intended to soak through what you're trying to remove.

You go your way and I'll go mine.

Looks like we both already have. The purpose here was not a pissing match.

It's about the OP getting solid info for his project.

I have covered this exact ground myself.

He's got my info and 2 or 3 others here who used the same method.

And he has yours. Let him decide.

No need to get testes.

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 01-17-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:59 AM
Lou64
Burning Brakes

I wasn't really talking about the foam, the glue/foam combo that was left after the foam came off is what I am trying to get off. If you look at the pic, you can see the thick white foam on the tranny column...that is foam still stuck on. In the seat area and foot well, I have scraped the foam off, but where the adhesive was put on thick, it still stuck to the floor. It is a layer about 1/32" thick.

Frankie, this stuff is not something that will come off with a scraper under any condition. End of story. It looks like you have the jute layer under your carpet? I didn't. Not my doing...

No matter...3M adhesive remover worked like GANGBUSTERS.

The local neighborhood Steal-mart didn't have any Goo-Gone gel, so I am sticking with what I got. Their is sooo much residue though that I may have to do the entire thing twice. I will be dumber by the end of this though from all the brain cells lost from inhaling the fumes.

Quick Reply: How to get the old carpet foam off?