C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1961 ignition

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Bfisher
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1961 ignition

I have a 61 vet that I have lost the key. I took the ignition out but I can't figure out how to get the tumbler out of the outer case. Does anyone have any helpful hints? thanks Bob
Old 01-19-2012, 07:45 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

You have to have the key to get the tumbler out.

Remove one of the door locks and look for the numeric code on the side. Take that code to a good locksmith and they can cut a new key to that code.

Alternatively, soon someone will mention that only a small number of unique keys were used back then and if you have friends with old GM cars you may find one of their keys fits your car.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

if you get the information off the cylinder, {4 digit number},..I can relay the 6 cuts from my code book needed for a 'B-10 key blank back to you...all you would need is to call or find a locksmith, hardware, or dealer with the proper cutting tool
Old 01-20-2012, 01:01 AM
dmruschell
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

If you wanted to try a key from another 61, I have extra copies...
Old 01-20-2012, 09:55 AM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dmruschell
If you wanted to try a key from another 61, I have extra copies...
Almost any of these old keys and a wiggle will start mine. It might be a little harder with the new tumbler I put in last year.

I would think you could get the tumbler out with any key in the tumbler and depressing the pin inside the hole.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:02 AM
corvette-62
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by INMYBLOOD
:i

I would think you could get the tumbler out with any key in the tumbler and depressing the pin inside the hole.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:11 AM
rickrita
Heel & Toe

Thank you for all the input. The only problem I have now that I have a key that will fit the tumbler and start the car, I need to REMOVE the tumbler/ignition switch because I have replace all of the locks(trunk,doors,etc.) except the ignition switch. I have tried to take the bezel off and it back into the key hole and won't back out far enough to get the bezel off. I tried to remove the wires from back of the switch and rotate the housing enough to remove the ignition switch but after a few turns it bounds up and won't rotate any more. I am looking for a little help in getting the tumbler/switch out so I can put in the new tumbler. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 03-06-2012, 09:26 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

If you have a key that actually turns the cylinder, turn it left to ACC and insert a paper clip into the little hole. Press down and keep turning the key. Pull the cylinder out.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Donald #31176
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

If you have a key for the old ignition lock that works to remove the cylinder insert key and turn fully left. Depress the spring w. paper clip in the hole of cylinder & turn 1/4 ways left. Cylinder should be free.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:27 AM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rickrita
Thank you for all the input. The only problem I have now that I have a key that will fit the tumbler and start the car, I need to REMOVE the tumbler/ignition switch because I have replace all of the locks(trunk,doors,etc.) except the ignition switch. I have tried to take the bezel off and it back into the key hole and won't back out far enough to get the bezel off. I tried to remove the wires from back of the switch and rotate the housing enough to remove the ignition switch but after a few turns it bounds up and won't rotate any more. I am looking for a little help in getting the tumbler/switch out so I can put in the new tumbler. Any help would be appreciated!
I wanted to replace my on,off, lock piece of plastic. I also could not get the tumbler out using a key and a pin, paperclip, drill bit. I ended up drilling it out. As soon as the drill hit the bezel it came off. Then I figured out why it would not work as designed. The hole in the bezel did not line up with the little brass plunger. The tumbler release. So once it was out, I bought a new tumbler and bezel.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by wombvette
If you have a key that actually turns the cylinder, turn it left to ACC and insert a paper clip into the little hole. Press down and keep turning the key. Pull the cylinder out.
No ACC position on a '61....however this procedure should work other than that.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:15 PM
rickrita
Heel & Toe

Default Remove tumbler ignition

Thank you for all the help. The ignition tumbler came out without a "whimper"!

Get notified of new replies

To 1961 ignition

Quick Reply: 1961 ignition