C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

62 fuelie original?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 07:43 AM
FLORIDA
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default 62 fuelie original?

My neighbor bought a 62 about 6 years ago. He was told that it was originally a fuelie car but has updated 350 engine and disk brakes now. What evidence would be necessary to verify that it was an origininal fuelie?
Old 01-29-2012, 09:40 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

The most obvious and hardest to fake/cover up is this:

Windshield washer bottle and associated vacuum tank should be mounted (or evidence of such if they are missing) on the passener side fender near the battery. NO evidence it was mounted on the driver's side near the clutch linkage should exist.

Also, the divot in this photo below (circled in white) will be drilled out for the washer hoses to pass through. This photo is of my NON fuelie 62, so the divot is unmolested.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:55 AM
MaineDoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 60 Posts

The car should have high (6500) redline tach and 2268 gen. if still used, but these two items are used with 340 horse as well. The car could not have been a Powerglide. The washer was on the passenger side and had a heat shield that was attached with screws to the fender shield. See one of the catalogs such as Paragon to view this shield. There will be holes where it was attached. There will be two holes on the inner drivers side fender by the hood lip where the air cleaner was attached. On the outside fenders there will be 2 holes for the external FI emblems. They may have been filled so look inside. The tach cable enters the firewall slightly differently from non-FI cars but this is tough to describe. No round block-off plate on driver's side of radiator so no internal screw marks present. Finally if original seats still present there is often a dark stain put there by the first owner when they first tried to try out that old fuelie.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:21 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I thought all 62 Vettes were "fuelies".....by the way I hate that word and almost never used or written ......But there were 1917 original FI 62`s plus mine for a total 1918.......

seems like more every year
Old 01-29-2012, 01:05 PM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironcross
I thought all 62 Vettes were "fuelies".....by the way I hate that word and almost never used or written ......But there were 1917 original FI 62`s plus mine for a total 1918.......

seems like more every year

A mood point….. Why are you so disgruntled?

rustylugnuts
Old 01-29-2012, 01:29 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

its common knowledge! thats all......, sorry, nothing personal .....
Old 01-29-2012, 05:08 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I don't know where I got this from or who wrote it. It pertains to a 61 but should be similar to a 62.

The 6500 tachometer was offered with the solid lifter engine with the “097” Duntov Cam. This would make it available for the 2x4 carbureted 270-HP option and the
315-HP fuel injected option.
The 275-HP fuel injected engine was equipped with the hydraulic lifters and the 5500-RPM Red Line Tachometer.

Note: The tachometer by it self does not confirm a solid lifter car; the tachometer could have been changed during a previous restoration or alteration process.

The 315-HP fuel-injected tachometer was driven by the distributor and all the other displacement engine tachometers were driven from the generator. The 6500 Redline tachometer pictured was removed from my 315-HP project. Note the information printed on the case.
REGISTERS TWICE CABLE SPEED
1549082-W 1448 ???

Fuel Injection scrip on the fenders: Note that the emblem is not level.

I learned this quick original fuel injection identifier from John De Gregory, a fuel injection expert from Pennsylvania while at Corvettes at Carlisle. Many created FI cars will have the emblem level on the fender. Note how the emblem seems to rise from front to rear of the car.

Fuel Injection emblem backside.
I could not find a part number but the words “General Detroit” are located on the “F” of fuel injection. On this emblem only the letters “ROIT” are visible. If you have a better picture of the back of the emblem showing a complete “DETROIT”

Windshield washer plastic reservoir bracket and holes for heat shield.
Windshield washer system became a standard feature on the 1961 Corvette. When the fuel injection option was noted on the job ticket, the washer system was moved from the left inner fender to the right fender. A heat shield was also added to protect the plastic fluid bottle.

Black shield in front of the windshield washer bottle

Riveted nut plate just below the heater hoses for mounting of the vacuum canister for the windshield wiper system.

Riveted nut plate for the FI air cleaner mount on the left center inner fender. This nut plate is for the 290-HP and 315-HP FI options.

Riveted nut plate for the fresh air hose bracket left front inner fender.
This nut plate is for the 315-HP option only.

Note the location of the incorrect horn relay (Should be a Delco 1116“781”). The 1961-62 JG states that the relay should be located on the vertical section of the inner fender just below the one in the picture. I have inspected numerous 1961 FI cars and have not found one that has the relay on the vertical inner fender. I believe this change was made during the 1962 model year.

Oval hole for the tachometer cable on the firewall.

Make a note as to the quality of the cut; some recreation FI cars will be poorly done because it is hidden by the rubber grommet.

Original tachometer grommet was found behind the original carpet.

Left front fender splash pan.
Note the holes for the wiper system vacuum can. There should be no scars (marks) from the bolts and washers used to secure the can on a fuel injection car. The vacuum can was moved to the right inner fender for the Fuel Injected cars.

Another item to check is the fresh air opening in the radiator core. The opening on the left side or the radiator core support did not have the block out plate installed on 315-HP FI option. The fresh air hose connected from the core support to the air cleaner filter box. Check the block-out- plate mounting screw holes in the radiator core support for signs of threads that would have been created if a block out plate was ever installed. The low horse model did not use the fresh air hose to the air cleaner box and the plate should be installed.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:36 PM
ack fia
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Default 62 fi

Another supposed FI indication is a "drill dimple" on the left side (looking at the fire wall from the front of the car) of the tach cable hole for a FI car and on the right side of the tach cable hole for a 340 car.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:58 PM
SunsetC6
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironcross
its common knowledge! thats all......, sorry, nothing personal .....
Hey man, there are also more 1957 Bel Air convertibles registered today than GM built as well. Amazing what people can do with a 4 door hardtop.....
Old 01-29-2012, 06:44 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Default My 61

Originally Posted by plaidside
I don't know where I got this from or who wrote it. It pertains to a 61 but should be similar to a 62.

The 6500 tachometer was offered with the solid lifter engine with the “097” Duntov Cam. This would make it available for the 2x4 carbureted 270-HP option and the
315-HP fuel injected option.
The 275-HP fuel injected engine was equipped with the hydraulic lifters and the 5500-RPM Red Line Tachometer.

Note: The tachometer by it self does not confirm a solid lifter car; the tachometer could have been changed during a previous restoration or alteration process.

The 315-HP fuel-injected tachometer was driven by the distributor and all the other displacement engine tachometers were driven from the generator. The 6500 Redline tachometer pictured was removed from my 315-HP project. Note the information printed on the case.
REGISTERS TWICE CABLE SPEED
1549082-W 1448 ???

Fuel Injection scrip on the fenders: Note that the emblem is not level.

I learned this quick original fuel injection identifier from John De Gregory, a fuel injection expert from Pennsylvania while at Corvettes at Carlisle. Many created FI cars will have the emblem level on the fender. Note how the emblem seems to rise from front to rear of the car.

Fuel Injection emblem backside.
I could not find a part number but the words “General Detroit” are located on the “F” of fuel injection. On this emblem only the letters “ROIT” are visible. If you have a better picture of the back of the emblem showing a complete “DETROIT”

Windshield washer plastic reservoir bracket and holes for heat shield.
Windshield washer system became a standard feature on the 1961 Corvette. When the fuel injection option was noted on the job ticket, the washer system was moved from the left inner fender to the right fender. A heat shield was also added to protect the plastic fluid bottle.

Black shield in front of the windshield washer bottle

Riveted nut plate just below the heater hoses for mounting of the vacuum canister for the windshield wiper system.

Riveted nut plate for the FI air cleaner mount on the left center inner fender. This nut plate is for the 290-HP and 315-HP FI options.

Riveted nut plate for the fresh air hose bracket left front inner fender.
This nut plate is for the 315-HP option only.

Note the location of the incorrect horn relay (Should be a Delco 1116“781”). The 1961-62 JG states that the relay should be located on the vertical section of the inner fender just below the one in the picture. I have inspected numerous 1961 FI cars and have not found one that has the relay on the vertical inner fender. I believe this change was made during the 1962 model year.

Oval hole for the tachometer cable on the firewall.

Make a note as to the quality of the cut; some recreation FI cars will be poorly done because it is hidden by the rubber grommet.

Original tachometer grommet was found behind the original carpet.

Left front fender splash pan.
Note the holes for the wiper system vacuum can. There should be no scars (marks) from the bolts and washers used to secure the can on a fuel injection car. The vacuum can was moved to the right inner fender for the Fuel Injected cars.

Another item to check is the fresh air opening in the radiator core. The opening on the left side or the radiator core support did not have the block out plate installed on 315-HP FI option. The fresh air hose connected from the core support to the air cleaner filter box. Check the block-out- plate mounting screw holes in the radiator core support for signs of threads that would have been created if a block out plate was ever installed. The low horse model did not use the fresh air hose to the air cleaner box and the plate should be installed.

a couple of things different in appearance is the enrichment control on a 61 where the 62`s have a actual choke..plus the fuel filters are different..the rest of both FI cars are the same except the 61 is only 315 hp to 360 for 62 which nearly ever one knows....

"And I never noticed the FI emblem appear anything but level I certainly would have noticed any different....I don't know hardly anything about the hydraulic cars as I really cant recall that I knew they even existed

heres a long range shot, but to me its level

Last edited by Ironcross; 01-29-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:25 PM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Could be another one of those counterfeits...... Easy enough to put a pair of those fuel injection scrips on the fenders...... Have any old photos of the engine?

rustylugnuts
Old 01-29-2012, 11:26 PM
vetrod62
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Picture one, poor pix of fuelie dimple in chalk.

Pix 2 non fuelie dimple

They are really hard to fake because the inside body work is not painted under the insulation.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:30 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Default Yep, and

Originally Posted by rustylugnuts
Could be another one of those counterfeits...... Easy enough to put a pair of those fuel injection scrips on the fenders...... Have any old photos of the engine?

rustylugnuts
I do, but this should verify the subject to even the most sceptical critics.....and I had GM do it for me...

do you want more or are you satisfied....I get your statement all the time so i`m use to it......and I can also double your pleasure too,....

Old 01-30-2012, 05:18 PM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

It sounds good, and it might be all true buuuuuuut all I see is a piece of paper with numbers and photos of a 61 Corvette with fuel injection emblems on the fenders and no evidence tying the two together, sorry!

rustylugnuts
Old 01-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Default here ya go!

not the best pictures, but all taken at the same time....

the Black 61 behind me is a fraternity brothers 270 Vette

Some nice iron and plastic, dont you agree....
Old 01-30-2012, 07:29 PM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Looks correct, still have some reservations but for the most part will concur, it’s not like I’m purchasing and need proper documentation, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt as you did display engine photo.

Now that’s history, where is this 61 today? Hope you kept it. Did it have a cast iron main housing 4 speed or aluminum? Engine photo looked grim and couldn't make out if the radiator was painted black or natural unpainted aluminum?

rustylugnuts
Old 01-30-2012, 07:38 PM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

My fuelie was made the day you purchased your 61

Last edited by rustylugnuts; 02-05-2012 at 11:13 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 62 fuelie original?

Old 01-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Default The Vette is #02480

Originally Posted by rustylugnuts

My fuelie was made the day you purchased your 61
it was the picture as the car was only a few months old and before I put the Daytons on...the car was delivered on my birthday.....in three years I had accumulated 3 FI Vettes, white 61, black 62 and a black 63 coupe...I kept the black 62 in Miami and the other 2 in Dearborn..the driveway was getting filled up with Vettes and my Dad donated the white 61 to the church just before I got home...I went to try and get it back and Father Moga wouldn't do it...The car is still in a Dearborn garage

Nice 61, and its 90% the right color...but you forgot to paint the coves, run out of paint at the wrong time?

by the way, the radiator is natural aluminum, not painted...'62`s were painted however

Last edited by Ironcross; 01-30-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:41 PM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

I like the two tones, especially the black silver red interior looks nasty, and backs up the image with the fuel injection making it the quickest 283 ever produced. I like all the C-1's each one slightly different then the other.

rustylugnuts
Old 01-31-2012, 08:56 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I'll have to check for those on this car; owner has had since '67, don't think they would add FI back in the day

Quick Reply: 62 fuelie original?