C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Restoring '62 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Rohnnie
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restoring '62 Vette

I have a '62 corvette that I've had for years. I'm having trouble with the engine and I'm not sure if it is the original engine or not. I have a couple of questions, If it is not the original engine I would like to upgrade with a later model vette engine, what would be the best to put in it? Secondly, I'm thinking about upgrading the brake system with disk brakes. What will that do to the value of the car? Any information will be appreciated. Thanks.

Rohnnie
Old 02-01-2012, 03:33 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 137 Posts

buy a ZZ3 or ZZ383, Or why not just rebuild what you have?, later model engines need PCV systems. the blocks dont have draft tubes.

Put on disc brakes, Update your self to 1965 technology! This will reduce your anxiety when driving. Save the old stuff for anyone that cares.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:54 PM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

On the other hand finding a Corvette engine from that era is not a problem, and restoring the original parts with a dash of good reproduction parts makes for a great historical nostalgic classic. I often say if you want something to handle and go very, very fast buy a new Corvette. But if you appreciate the history and can get into the nostalgic of restoring a piece of history then do it right, the way it was intended to be.

Check out the restoration of blue 59 from yesterday on this site…… awesome!!!

Just my two cents, rustylugnuts
Old 02-01-2012, 04:01 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

If you get the right components a change to disc brakes is not a price killer. My '61 has '73 Camaro disc brakes and I could swap the original drums back on it pretty easily... If your engine is not original then you could get a 'period correct' 327ci but it still won't be the same. If its original a good indication is that the production serial number will be embedded into the numbers on the front stamp pad of the motor.

If the motor is NOT original then put any disc brakes on that you want...those will be nit in any drop in value compared to a non-original motor...
Old 02-01-2012, 04:59 PM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Rohnnie
I have a '62 corvette that I've had for years. I'm having trouble with the engine and I'm not sure if it is the original engine or not. I have a couple of questions, If it is not the original engine I would like to upgrade with a later model vette engine, what would be the best to put in it? Secondly, I'm thinking about upgrading the brake system with disk brakes. What will that do to the value of the car? Any information will be appreciated. Thanks.

Rohnnie
To determine whether or not it is the original motor (or at least "correct" motor), the place to begin is by looking at stampings that are on a pad on the engine that is just in front of the passenger side head. (Tucked down under the generator and heater hoses.) What is stamped there will help understand if you need to go any farther than that.
Regards,
Mike

Last edited by 62corvette; 02-01-2012 at 05:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Get notified of new replies

To Restoring '62 Vette

Quick Reply: Restoring '62 Vette