C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

White or Black Checker in Flag Corner?? (NCRS experts)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 02:33 PM
Denney
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default White or Black Checker in Flag Corner?? (NCRS experts)

Ok all you NCRS experts, I have seen two variations on the 1966 Corvette emblem on the steering wheel and gas filler lid. One combination has a white checker in the upper left and the other has a black checker. I ~think~ the white checker in the upper left was original (and correct), but am not sure. Anyone with some sage advice :confused:
Old 05-13-2002, 02:40 PM
Silver65
Advanced

Default Re: White or Black Checker in Flag Corner?? (Denney)

I'm sure the guru's out there will be able to tell you for certain, but I seem to recall having read that both are original, and depend upon the build date. I may be corrected on this by someone else, however.
Old 05-13-2002, 04:44 PM
Top_Notch
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe either is correct.
Old 05-13-2002, 05:18 PM
KingRat
Drifting

Received 867 Likes on 420 Posts

I believe the later cars all came with the black checker in the corner. It is mentioned in Nolan Adam's book. My '66 vin number is around 21,100 and it came with the black checker on the nose and fuel door-- the side emblems have the white checker in the corner.
Old 05-13-2002, 05:19 PM
boerio
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll check the '66 judging manual when I get home tonight. But I know in the '67 judging manual, it says that the black square should be in the top left.

- Jeff
Old 05-13-2002, 06:19 PM
Donn 66
Pro

CI3 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In III Veteran

Only the gas door had any change, early production started with a black square in the upper left hand corner until car 8600--8950 went to white square until around car 26450 but even thats not 100 per cent because I have my original and its hard to tell because its so faded but you can still make out the white in the upper left hand corner and my car is 27186. Some think they got a new batch in the middle of July and they ran mixed till the end of production. hope this helps
Old 05-13-2002, 10:50 PM
Denney
Melting Slicks

Default Re: White or Black Checker in Flag Corner?? (Donn 66)

Donn, that would partially fit my situation as my convertible S/N is around 15,000 and my original gas door has the white in the upper corner (which also coincides with white in the upper corner of the steering wheel horn button). However, on my coupe (S/N around 18,300) the two have the opposite (black in upper left corner) in both places. Now, I know that my coupe has been through alot in it's 36 years, so it just had me wondering which was correct. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2002, 02:08 AM
boerio
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: White or Black Checker in Flag Corner?? (boerio)

The judging manual (3rd edition) says ...

For the horn button, "The right flag is the typical black and white checkering with the black starting in the upper corner and ending in the lower corner." (p26)

For the front nose emblem ... "The right flag is the typical black and white checkering with the white starting in the upper corner and ending in the lower corner." (p43)

For the side emblems ... "The right flag is the typical black and white checkering with the black starting in the upper corner ..." (p43)

For the fuel door ... "... the crossed flags on a white background ... The right flag in the crossed flag emblem is black and white checkering with the white starting in the upper left corder. Some reproductions have black in the upper left corner of the checkcered flag." (p44)

That's what it says :rolleyes:

:cheers:

- Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To White or Black Checker in Flag Corner?? (NCRS experts)

Quick Reply: White or Black Checker in Flag Corner?? (NCRS experts)