C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 Driver door sag

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 11:59 AM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

Default 67 Driver door sag

My driver door seems to be sagging and from what I've read in this forum this seems to point to a need to replace my hinge pins and bushings. If I open the door there is much more play (I can move the door up and down) than I have on the passenger door.

With that said, I've searched this forum looking for instructions on how to replace my door pins and bushings and can't seem to find a good list of instructions.

Do they instructions exist anywhere and I just can't find them?

I'm assuming I will need to remove the door panels to start (I'm not even sure how to do that)

Thanks - Ed
Old 02-07-2012, 12:11 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I'd bet your hinge rivets inside the door are loose.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:17 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MikeM
What's the best way to figure it out?
Old 02-07-2012, 12:21 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by emdoller
What's the best way to figure it out?
Open the door so you can see the rivets on the front face, and move the rear of the door up and down so you can see if there's any movement in the rivets.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:39 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Open the door so you can see the rivets on the front face, and move the rear of the door up and down so you can see if there's any movement in the rivets.
Got it. I'll give that a try tonight!
Old 02-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

I have had success tightening the rivets by peening them again, but that was on the bench with the door off the car. Pilot Dan
Old 02-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
Originally Posted by JohnZ
That's the first place I'd check too.

When I had my 63 painted 5 or so years ago, when we had the doors off, we re-peened the rivets to tighten them up.

Mine had a little "slop", the driver's side being worse than the passenger's side.

Chuck
Old 02-07-2012, 03:32 PM
cam30era
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Here is an excellent thread on how to replace the door jam rivets > http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-66-coupe.html
Old 02-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Mark Lovejoy
Pro

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

If you find the rivets are loose, I still have some machined weld studs.

They are not cheap but work very well.

Note aluminum rivet at upper left.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:23 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mark Lovejoy
If you find the rivets are loose, I still have some machined weld studs.

They are not cheap but work very well.

Note aluminum rivet at upper left.

Thanks. I'll let you know.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

Ed, if you do find that the door rivets are still holding well enough and the sag you're noticing is due to worn hinge bushings you will probably find that the replacement bushings are smaller in the barrel length than the originals as seen in this pic.

The bushings I've gotten from vendors as well as the ones that the local Chevy Dealer Parts Dept sells are the shorter versions but once they're greased up, they'll do fine. If you absolutely want to have the longer barrel bushings, I've found that a vendor for 55-57 Chevy Parts, Danchuk, sells a Nomad Tailgate Hinge Repair Kit and it comes with the longer bushings and I'm pretty certain they'd sell just the bushings since the pin is quite a bit longer than needed on a midyear door hinge.
Mike T.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:52 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

I took a few pics to show the door sag. I also added a short video to show the hints as I lift the door by the handle. It's hard for to tell what's going on.

When the door is almost closed is when I get the most lift and if I look at the hinge area it's almost like the door rolls a bit (click on view my video below).

I can't really see the rivets doing anything strange although it's hard to see them hone the door is almost closed at which the lift is the greatest.

So is it the rivets or the hinges or both?

View My Video

Last edited by emdoller; 02-07-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:24 AM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Looked again, still not sure if it's the rivets.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

Are you doing this checking by yourself? If you can, get someone to manipulate the door up and down while you are staring right at the front of the door/hinge area. Maybe that will help.
Mike T.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:23 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Vet65te
Are you doing this checking by yourself? If you can, get someone to manipulate the door up and down while you are staring right at the front of the door/hinge area. Maybe that will help.
Mike T.
Yes. I'll have someone help me this weekend and report back.

Ed
Old 02-08-2012, 08:21 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Often when the rivets are loose and the door is closed, the front edge of the door will be pushed out past the fender edge by the weatherstriping. you can push on the front edge of the door and move it back in with a little effort. If yours is solid then you may be looking at hinge bushings only.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:24 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
Often when the rivets are loose and the door is closed, the front edge of the door will be pushed out past the fender edge by the weatherstriping. you can push on the front edge of the door and move it back in with a little effort. If yours is solid then you may be looking at hinge bushings only.
What's interesting is your description looks like what's happening in the video I posted. I'll play with it this weekend. Thanks.

Ed

Get notified of new replies

To 67 Driver door sag

Old 02-12-2012, 03:25 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Well I had someone help me and it sure looks like those rivets are moving - crap!

Anyone in CA wanna fix em for me :-)

From what I've read on this forum, it sure sounds like the "easiest" way too do this is to remove the door although I did read a post where someone did it on the car.

My next question is once I do get the rivets tight, how the heck to I get the sag out... do I do that while I'm tightening the new threaded rivets or some other way?

Thanks - Ed

BTW, here's a quick video I took (click on view my video below) to show the rivets moving... let me know if I called it right.

View My Video
Old 02-12-2012, 06:17 PM
cam30era
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm planning on tackling my passenger side door tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:49 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

You will have to remove the door and place it on a table or bench. With the glass and everything in it, removal is a two man operation to be sure it isn't dropped or paint chipped. Be sure and count the shims at the top and lower hinge strap so they can be replaced in the same number. Once the rivets have been re-peened or replaced with flat head bolts and the door rehung, it has to be re-aligned with the car so the sag will be a non-issue. But, check the hinge bushings while you have the door off to make sure they don't also need replacing. Tape the edges of the door and jamb with blue tape when removing and replacing. The first time you try to close the door, go very slow and look for signs of interference at the front, rear and at the bottom. Make adjustments slowly with just a couple hinge bolts snugged up. I usually place a floor jack under the door with blocks of wood supporting the door partly open to support it when I loosen a hinge bolt to move it. I loosen the bolt on one hinge at a time and make a small adjustment up or down at the rear and then tighten it and go to the other hinge and loosen it and make a small adjustment up or down and tighten it. That's assuming the front of the door is already at about the proper heigth on the hinges. I basically just wiggle it in until it closes, lines up with the fenders and has good gaps. You may have to adjust the latch on the body slightly. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 67 Driver door sag