C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Best wiper blades for a 62

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 10:46 PM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Best wiper blades for a 62

Just wonder who make the best replacement wiper blade for a 62? I've owned the car since 03 and thought I'd change them.

It doesn't have to be NCRS.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:27 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

actually the OE brand fits best, 'Trico ....bad news about them is no more Trico made...The Vette parts stores do have them but way over priced...Watch them, as there are thieves that like them too.....
Old 02-13-2012, 08:08 AM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Trico is still manufacturing wiper blades in Brownsville,TX. I called them and they gave me the part number which I can't find. They are sold thru Auto Zone or O'Riely's. See pics of the ones for my 62. They don't match the originals but otherwise work okay. You can call them at
(888)691-5059 Trico Technologies or (956)544-2722 Trico Products. They can point you in the right direction.

John F
Attached Images   
Old 02-13-2012, 08:09 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You could always go to an auto supplier and get the same style refill, and cut the rubbers down to fit your old retainers. Cheap and easy.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:22 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
You could always go to an auto supplier and get the same style refill, and cut the rubbers down to fit your old retainers. Cheap and easy.
Probably, or just order the vendor repros. I talked to some 'old guys' at Trico several times when researching C1 windshield washers - the firm has been bought and merged so many times you will probably get the same wiper blades from them that the repro vendor's sell.

Anyway Rain-X is your friend...the early wiper systems ranged from laughable to dangerous even on their best days.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:19 AM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Thanks for all the input. I do use Rain-X in my windshield washer in all my cars and it sure helps at highway speeds.

I ordered a set of Trico off ebay.

Hopefully I don't get caught in the rain this year.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Err...not to confuse matters but Tom Maxwell....the number one restorer of antique washer systems (he rebuilt the one in my '61) is emphatic about running only distilled water in these old TriCo systems. No additives, anti-freeze, bug remover, etc -- ONLY water.

Rain X does make a window treatment you apply externally to the glass with a cloth which is what I use...
Old 02-13-2012, 10:51 AM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Err...not to confuse matters but Tom Maxwell....the number one restorer of antique washer systems (he rebuilt the one in my '61) is emphatic about running only distilled water in these old TriCo systems. No additives, anti-freeze, bug remover, etc -- ONLY water.

Rain X does make a window treatment you apply externally to the glass with a cloth which is what I use...
I wish my 62 did have an original windshield washer system. When I bought the car it only had the nozzles on the cowl with nothing else.
I installed a cheap elctric after market washer system.
You can see the plastic reservoir just to the right ,under the master cylinder.

But I will pass the information on to some friend that have C-1s

Thanks,
Rich
Old 02-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by C-1 Generation 2
I wish my 62 did have an original windshield washer system.
Thanks,
Rich
I think what you have under that hood all plays quite nicely together !
Old 02-14-2012, 11:40 AM
abe g
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiper inserts NAPA

NAPA has them for 62-63 and others. Regards, Abe G
Old 02-14-2012, 10:32 PM
dmruschell
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I still have the original-style (I don't know if it's original to the car) wiper system in my 61. The wipers work fine, but the washer system wouldn't activate when I pushed the button. According to my Vette mechanic, someone put water in my washer system and it froze, breaking pieces of the washer system in the process. I don't know if that's what really happened, or if something else broke the washer system.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:41 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Frozen, expanding water could certainly crack the internal plastic components...my car is garaged in Orlando all year so no problem for me. Frankly, I would drain it in the winter if there was a chance of freezing rather than try to run anti-freeze or something in it. The whole system is delicate and hard to repair which is why only one guy (apparently) fixes them.. I was just reciting Tom Maxwell's rules for these vintage systems:

1) Nothing but distilled water in the system
2) To wash, depress and hold the button for 3 seconds
3) Allow 15 seconds between repeated washings

I even wrote them down as he told me so I wouldn't forget !
Old 02-16-2012, 01:59 AM
dmruschell
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Frozen, expanding water could certainly crack the internal plastic components...my car is garaged in Orlando all year so no problem for me. Frankly, I would drain it in the winter if there was a chance of freezing rather than try to run anti-freeze or something in it. The whole system is delicate and hard to repair which is why only one guy (apparently) fixes them.. I was just reciting Tom Maxwell's rules for these vintage systems:

1) Nothing but distilled water in the system
2) To wash, depress and hold the button for 3 seconds
3) Allow 15 seconds between repeated washings

I even wrote them down as he told me so I wouldn't forget !
Yeah, draining it would be the smart route. Apparently somebody forgot whoops.

My vette guy installed a separate electric water pump with a hidden switch, but I'll probably install an electric wiper system if anything ever happens to the original system. I'd love to see one of the original systems working though! It's a shame that there aren't many guys that repair them.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:34 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by dmruschell
Yeah, draining it would be the smart route. Apparently somebody forgot whoops.

My vette guy installed a separate electric water pump with a hidden switch, but I'll probably install an electric wiper system if anything ever happens to the original system. I'd love to see one of the original systems working though! It's a shame that there aren't many guys that repair them.
The wiper system itself is electric, only the bizarre Rube Goldberg washer system is vacuum operated.
Come to think of it though, although electric, the wiper system would also fit comfortably into the Mr. Goldberg category.
As a number four on Franks' list, Tom recommends to operate the washer system at least once a month to keep everything working.
I know that on mine if I forget and let it go a few months, it takes several shots to get the system primed and working again.

Paul
Old 02-16-2012, 03:43 PM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Just got the wipers in the mail,I got the ones that John suggested.

The old wipers laying in the pack

The new wipers on.

I guess it was a good thing I changed them.I found out my nozzles were out of alignment,one was shooting over the roof. Also the wiper switch wasn't working.I had recently lowered the hood scoop,(it was rubbing on the underside of the hood) and the underside of the hood scoop was dragging on the switch and it wouldn't move enough.I ground a little of the scoop now everything is fine.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Audiophobe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by C-1 Generation 2
Just wonder who make the best replacement wiper blade for a 62? I've owned the car since 03 and thought I'd change them.

It doesn't have to be NCRS.
I find stopping every block feet and wiping the windshield with a rag works better.
They are archaic.
Does the Rainex windshield treatment help?
Are there oter brands?
Old 02-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Rain X most definitely helps...the water sort of 'sheets' off the windshield in the rain and visibility is much better. Even at the their tip-top, best condition the C1 wipers are marginal. They are adequate in light rain but quickly 'lose it' in any heavy downpour - don't ask me how I know !
Old 02-16-2012, 05:15 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 728 Likes on 622 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Audiophobe
Does the Rainex windshield treatment help?
yes, although you have to buff it off well when finished applying as it can leave a smear on the windshield that will be distracting looking into the sun. works great though, i have only used my wipers a half dozen times in the last 30 years (and i do drive in the rain...).

cheap enough try it.
Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Best wiper blades for a 62

Quick Reply: Best wiper blades for a 62