C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66 heater core replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 07:04 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 66 heater core replacement?

Anyone replaced a heater core on a 66 coupe? The car is a 327 with air from the factory.

Does it come out from the inside or from the engine bay side? Any tips or tricks? It is not readily apparent from looking at it and I would like to avoid taking apart anything that does not need to be pulled out.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:14 PM
RestoMike
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Do you own a Chevrolet Service manual? Quite valuable item to have covering in detail many repairs on our classic cars.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:20 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

62Jeff would be a good man to ask, but it comes out from the inside. Remove the glove box. There's a nut almost over the accelerator pedal under the dash that holds the left side of the box. Be sure to remove that or the plastic will break as you try to remove it. It's a pretty good job, you might try following the AIM for how it attaches. Be sure to pressure test the new one before you reassemble the box, and replace the gaskets. While it's apart be sure to take a look at the door seals inside, too. It's also pretty easy to cause a leak on the underhood pipes coming out of the heater core when you push the heater hoses on, so put some lube on the metal pipe before you push the hose on.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have fun!
Old 03-06-2012, 09:40 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Yes comes out from the inside. When I pulled mine, my interior was already gutted, and it was still a challenge.

As noted, watch for the mounting nut on the far left side of the A/C-heater box, behind the radio.

Here's what you are looking at once you pull the glove box and the lower A/c ducting.

Get a new seal kit for the A/C-heater box as well, and replace all the seals you can while the box is apart.

The following users liked this post:
Saddletan (09-16-2015)
Old 03-06-2012, 10:24 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Very cool. Thank you.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:07 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Update.

Heater core is in. Thank you for the help.

For others that may search and find this thread, I found that it helped to get enough clearance to work the box out by pulling out the radio and the center console trim piece.

On nut at the far left and right of the box on the inside of the car and three nuts in the engine bay of the car. The three engine side nuts also hold on a piece of trim metal that the heater core stubs protrude through.

The heater gasket kit was nice to have. All of the old foam had seen better days.

Thanks again.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:12 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks for the update, glad to hear you got it squared away.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:06 AM
kvndvs69
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you for the question i have a 66 and the heater needs replacing but this is one tha i havent done yet so i might put back on my to do list
Old 04-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Rokndad
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kvndvs69
thank you for the question i have a 66 and the heater needs replacing but this is one tha i havent done yet so i might put back on my to do list
In addition to all that's been said here previously, I just finished the task in my 67 and it really helps to have a second pair of hands to assist in "easing out" the box assembly, reinstalling vacuum hoses and installing the three hole cover in the engine bay that the two core tubes protrude from. Not necessary but it makes the time go faster too. And remember to put the cuss jar within easy reach.

Tom
Old 05-22-2013, 08:14 AM
wonderful
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove/Install the heater box GENTLY. Do Not force anything. I have seen too many mounting bolts breaking off the fiberglass.
Please Take Your Time.

Get notified of new replies

To 66 heater core replacement?

Quick Reply: 66 heater core replacement?