C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Hood bracing and top skin is separating...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 02:56 PM
M3MOTORSPORTS
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
Default Hood bracing and top skin is separating...

The adhesive between my hood and the bracing is dried up and separating. What is the adhesive that was/is used to glue it back together? Any link or videos on here that can gimme an idea on getting the old shmutz outta there without taking it completely apart?
Old 03-12-2012, 03:55 PM
chrislyn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M3MOTORSPORTS
The adhesive between my hood and the bracing is dried up and separating. What is the adhesive that was/is used to glue it back together? Any link or videos on here that can gimme an idea on getting the old shmutz outta there without taking it completely apart?
What you can do is clean the old adhesive off. Go to your Auto body supply and pickup a tube of 3M fast cure urethane adhesive. It is used for windshields and other glass repairs but works well for this repair. When the urethane is cured you will have a flexible bond between the hood skin and the frame. You do not want to have a rigid bond. Separate the frame with a stick from the hood skin squeeze in enough so that when you take the stick out the adhesive will ooze out slightly, You need to have the hood as level as possible with no twist in the hood because when the adhesive sets up it will hold the twist cleanup if necessary and leave it alone for 2-3 hours. Good Luck, Wes

Last edited by chrislyn; 03-12-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:24 PM
chrislyn
Pro

3m fast cure is non hardening it remains flexable

Last edited by chrislyn; 03-12-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:30 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by M3MOTORSPORTS
Are you speaking of the bond around the perimeter of the hood and the underhood support? Or are you speaking of the little dabs of adhesive in the center area of the underhood area - between the bracing and the outer hood skin?
Old 03-12-2012, 04:30 PM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The hood is only glued around the perimeter. The globs of material elsewhere were vibration damping. Grind out the dried up stuf and use a flexible seam sealer there, not adhesive!

Harry
Old 03-12-2012, 04:38 PM
chrislyn
Pro

The OP is talking about the dabs placed around the frame not the perimeter. The 3M product that I had recommended is flexible urethane.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:44 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

I used DAP 50 yr. premium roof flashing sealant (polyurethane). It was recommended by several on the NCRS forum. It worked perfectly. It bonded securely but is still flexible and if you get it in black, it matches the hood black-out paint perfectly. The original Dum-Dum was dry and crumbly and the hood flexed quite a bit when lift by one corner. Now it's rock solid.

Jim
Old 03-12-2012, 05:42 PM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chrislyn
The OP is talking about the dabs placed around the frame not the perimeter. The 3M product that I had recommended is flexible urethane.
That one went right by me.. Sorry..

Harry
Old 03-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
I used DAP 50 yr. premium roof flashing sealant (polyurethane). It was recommended by several on the NCRS forum. It worked perfectly. It bonded securely but is still flexible and if you get it in black, it matches the hood black-out paint perfectly. The original Dum-Dum was dry and crumbly and the hood flexed quite a bit when lift by one corner. Now it's rock solid.

Jim

Larry
Old 03-13-2012, 02:20 AM
M3MOTORSPORTS
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Thanks guys

Get notified of new replies

To Hood bracing and top skin is separating...

Quick Reply: Hood bracing and top skin is separating...