C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Question About Value

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 07:56 PM
HouTex1964Vert
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Question About Value

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/2873052189.html

This is an NOM car. Everything works. Paint is an 8/10. Interior is 8/10. Frame is great. Said he'd take $44K. Does this seem high for an NOM car? It seems a little on the high side to me. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:00 PM
jkuzzy
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

Looks nice to me. The market is so crazy that I can't tell anymore what is good or not for value. I wish I had the time this weekend to look at it for you.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:24 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

"What's it worth?" threads belong in General...
Old 03-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,728 Likes on 810 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

My read is that you can buy a comparable car with the OEM motor for about the same price. High $30s would be more realistic.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:34 PM
HouTex1964Vert
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton
My read is that you can buy a comparable car with the OEM motor for about the same price. High $30s would be more realistic.
High 30's is what I had in mind.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:08 PM
Nitrodamus
Drifting

There used to be a huge price difference between Corvettes with/without original engines. Then the market was flooded with re-stamped engines and companies willing to re-stamp engines. It was a big business to fool buyers and make money. Then in the 90's dealers like ProTeam (always ready to make more profit) raised the prices on NOM to where it matched those with the original engine.

At one point I would have preferred a NOM just because if it was claimed to be an original, it was probably re-stamped.

Now the market is so wacky it is hard to tell anymore.

JMHO, but I think the 66 you were asking about is over-priced and will need a lot of freshening.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:53 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitrodamus
There used to be a huge price difference between Corvettes with/without original engines. Then the market was flooded with re-stamped engines and companies willing to re-stamp engines. It was a big business to fool buyers and make money. Then in the 90's dealers like ProTeam (always ready to make more profit) raised the prices on NOM to where it matched those with the original engine.

At one point I would have preferred a NOM just because if it was claimed to be an original, it was probably re-stamped.

JMHO, but I think the 66 you were asking about is over-priced and will need a lot of freshening.
NOM prices do not "match those with original engines" in any corner of the market.

Different people have concerns about restamps and that may show up in peoples anxiousness about buying the big money cars without docs, but in general an NOM shouldnt be anywhere near an original motor car's price.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:43 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,728 Likes on 810 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Nitrodamus

My general feeling about restamps is that the incidence isn't as nearly prevalent with base engine cars, as it is with SHP engines and, especially, big block cars. I still think it is a variable that one needs to consider when purchasing a C1/C2. Personally, I would discount any car without the OEM engine. If I don't, a subsequent purchaser will--mark my words.

Get notified of new replies

To Question About Value

Quick Reply: Question About Value