C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1coolCoupe???

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 04:20 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Cool, here we go again! Can't wait to see what you do with this one. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 04-01-2012, 06:10 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jjtoma
Hi Jeff,

Thought I saw something different on your frame.
The new Michelin Pilot Super Sports are improved over the PS2's I had on my car.
For drag racing 16" or 17" will work better. Still have your number in my phone (hangar flying )

R/ Jim

Jim,

You need to stop on by when your jet setting around Always beer in the fridge and plenty of hanger flying stories to be had

R/
Jeff
Old 04-01-2012, 07:19 PM
pw2006
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can't wait to see this one!
Old 04-06-2012, 09:04 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Default It has begun!!

Took a few hours today after work and lifted the body off the frame. Went pretty well.......except I forgot to remove one of the little metal ground straps on the rear of the car Lets just say when it BOING.....it got my attention . No worries though, it just poped the hole in the strap..no damage. I'll roll the chassis outside and give it a quick power wash and get a good look at it. It appears to be in excellent condition with no rust at all I will be selling the entire rolling chassis and drivetrain. The original 250hp engine runs good and the previous owner had the PG rebuild, not sure of operating condition, never drove it under it's own power.

The new SRIII chassis is in the trailer and waiting to go. I will dig out the 2009 Z06 suspension and get it assembled to the frame then fit it under the car to begin the body modifications to fit the frame and the larger rubber that will go under it. It's not much progress, but it's a start!!

R/
Jeff

Old 04-06-2012, 10:16 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

sent you a pm Jeff .. Rob
Old 04-07-2012, 01:44 AM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Thanks for the update!

Old 04-07-2012, 03:27 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Complete rolling chassis and powertrain now available in the for sale section
R/
Jeff

Old 04-07-2012, 03:51 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

That rolling chassis shouldn't last long, that's a great price.

Don
Old 04-08-2012, 06:38 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Looks good Jeff. Can't wait to see the whole project soon. I will be down sometime soon to lend a hand. Maybe even drive mine down once it gets all back together.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:32 PM
632C2
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 202 Likes on 52 Posts

This should be an exciting project. I look forward to your updates and progress.

Steve
Old 04-09-2012, 01:45 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Hey Jeff,

Don't forget that you are going to need the gas tank support crossmember off of that old fame, unless you have another.

This is only so clear in my mind, since I forgot to haul mine over to the powdercoater with the rest of my frame!

Regards, John McGraw
Old 04-09-2012, 03:26 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Originally Posted by 632C2
This should be an exciting project. I look forward to your updates and progress.

Steve
Thanks Steve! I am really excited about this car, it will definitly be different Going to be a TON of fabrication to pull it all off. I just need about 2 years of vacation time to get it done

Originally Posted by John McGraw
Hey Jeff,

Don't forget that you are going to need the gas tank support crossmember off of that old fame, unless you have another.

This is only so clear in my mind, since I forgot to haul mine over to the powdercoater with the rest of my frame!

Regards, John McGraw
John,

I'm just going to build a new one, that way I can play around with how the tank fits and mounts. Have you had a chance to dig your body out yet and fit it to the frame?? I need to order up some frame mounts, but wanted to talk to Mike to see if he typically uses the vert body mounts for the coupe as well....since he puts the mounts on the frame. I dont see any problem doing that I guess.

R/
Jeff
Old 04-09-2012, 04:40 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

[QUOTE=1coolC2;1580510075

John,

I'm just going to build a new one, that way I can play around with how the tank fits and mounts. Have you had a chance to dig your body out yet and fit it to the frame?? I need to order up some frame mounts, but wanted to talk to Mike to see if he typically uses the vert body mounts for the coupe as well....since he puts the mounts on the frame. I dont see any problem doing that I guess.

R/
Jeff[/QUOTE]

Jeff, I have not got the room to get my body out of the trailer yet!
I got the 59 sold this last weekend, but it will be 2 weeks before it leaves my garage. Yes, Mike just uses the ragtop body mounts, but you just have a extra mount that is not used.

I know what you are saying about the tank mounting, as Rock Valley does not make their tank like the original, so the tank does not fit the crossmember correctly. I used a Rick's tank on the wagon, and was so impressed with their customer service, that I will probably use them for the coupe. Hopefully, their tank will fit the crosmember better.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 04-09-2012, 06:09 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Jeff, I have not got the room to get my body out of the trailer yet!
I got the 59 sold this last weekend, but it will be 2 weeks before it leaves my garage. Yes, Mike just uses the ragtop body mounts, but you just have a extra mount that is not used.

I know what you are saying about the tank mounting, as Rock Valley does not make their tank like the original, so the tank does not fit the crossmember correctly. I used a Rick's tank on the wagon, and was so impressed with their customer service, that I will probably use them for the coupe. Hopefully, their tank will fit the crosmember better.

Regards, John McGraw

I was not impressed with the Rock Valley tank either. As I found out, the baffling sucks in it and the car will starve for fuel if you have less than hals a tank in hard cornering I will go a different route for sure this time.

R/
Jeff
Old 04-09-2012, 10:05 PM
wolfman64
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 181 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Jeff,

I'll jump in here with John on Rick's Tanks. I'm using one on my '59 restomod....nice stuff. Several car guys here in San Antonio have had great results using Rick's tanks also. (How about one for a '72 Austrailan Ford Falcon right hand drive car... Mad Max style!).

Rick's is relativley close to us....EL Paso....only 610 miles!....we just drive out for the day and pick one up!

Wolfman
Old 04-09-2012, 10:23 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Originally Posted by wolfman64
Jeff,

I'll jump in here with John on Rick's Tanks. I'm using one on my '59 restomod....nice stuff. Several car guys here in San Antonio have had great results using Rick's tanks also. (How about one for a '72 Austrailan Ford Falcon right hand drive car... Mad Max style!).

Rick's is relativley close to us....EL Paso....only 610 miles!....we just drive out for the day and pick one up!

Wolfman
Thanks Wolfman,

I have heard good things about Ricks and have had friends who have purchased tanks from them in the past. They are definitly under consideration
R/
Jeff
Old 04-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Beach Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh Crap, time to start taking notes, Looking forward to the build progress.

Yours too John.

Thanks and keep posting.

R.J.

Get notified of new replies

To 1coolCoupe???

Old 06-08-2012, 12:22 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Default Update

Thought I would update the thread with some new pics and info. I finally got around to assembling the C6 Z06 suspension to my SRIII chassis. I still need to get the coil-overs and may need to modify the upper frame mounts to accommodate the ones I want to use, still need to noodle that one out.

Next was to mark out and sawz-all the rear floor area to clear the frame and suspension.....the moment of commitment, do I really want to cut this car??? Well that took about a half a second of thought Buzzzz and it was outta there!!

Once the cutting was completed I lowered the body down to check fitment and made a couple of additional trims. Still need to do final trimming once I have mocked up a few things. You can see the new wheel tubs sitting in place, I will be starting to template out the new floor area once the coil over mounts are final.

And here it is sitting at approximate ride height with the wheels and tires mounted up. The rollers are 18 X 9.5 up front with 275/35/18's and the rears are 19 X 12 with 325/30/19's..this is the stock C6 Z06 combination. I hope to get a 345 on the rear if possible

Well, that's all for now. I need to gather up some more stuff like the transmission so I can throw the drive train in and make the necessary trans tunnel mods. Then comes the fun of rebuilding it all to clear the new stuff. I will post more as I go. Have a good weekend!

R/
Jeff
Old 06-08-2012, 12:46 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Jeff, Looking good!

I am at about the same place on mine. I cut the rear floor out last week and have now fabricated the new wheelwells and rear floor. I sort of wished that I had just bought the tubs from Mike, but sectioning the existing wheelwells was not that much work. I just went to McMaster Carr and bought a sheet of 3/16" fiberglass sheet to build the new rear floor from. I Bought way more than I need, so if you have not already purchased some, let me know, and I will send you the sheet I have left.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 06-08-2012, 01:32 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Jeff, Looking good!

I am at about the same place on mine. I cut the rear floor out last week and have now fabricated the new wheelwells and rear floor. I sort of wished that I had just bought the tubs from Mike, but sectioning the existing wheelwells was not that much work. I just went to McMaster Carr and bought a sheet of 3/16" fiberglass sheet to build the new rear floor from. I Bought way more than I need, so if you have not already purchased some, let me know, and I will send you the sheet I have left.

Regards, John McGraw
Thanks John! I went ahead and got the tubs and floor sheet from Mike, figured it would save some hassle. Still thinking I will make some kind of mold to accomodate some changes, will cross that bridge when I get to it Still a long way to go, but sure is nice to see the car with the frame and rubber on it Keep posting pics of yours, we all enjoy watching your projects!!

R/
Jeff

Quick Reply: 1coolCoupe???