C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Radiator non corrosive additive needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 12:43 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

Default Radiator non corrosive additive needed

I am running straight water and Justice Brothers radiator cooler in my '61 here in So Cal. I am concerned about corrosion to the aluminum parts. Is there an additive I can use to minimize corrosion and lubricate the water pump, Etc? Thanks
Old 03-29-2012, 12:45 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

You should be running a 50/50 mixture of Zerex g-05 and distilled water.

Jim
Old 03-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Sure, it's called 'antifreeze' or 'engine coolant'. Prestone green stuff works just great, or the newer G-05 stuff if you prefer.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:53 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jtranger
I am running straight water and Justice Brothers radiator cooler in my '61 here in So Cal. I am concerned about corrosion to the aluminum parts. Is there an additive I can use to minimize corrosion and lubricate the water pump, Etc? Thanks
bars leak w/ pellets.....
Old 03-29-2012, 01:15 PM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just paid for a new Aluminum rad and I guarantee THIS time I'll make sure it only get's 50/50 in it. The last one got corroded and got pin holes. Not worth the cost of a few bottles of 50/50 every few years compared to the cost of these radiators.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:41 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

I was under the impression it would run cooler with straight water and little or no coolant.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:46 PM
NOM61
Pro

Prestone sells the anticorrosive additive seperately.
Redline wetter has the antiicorrosion additive already mixed in and I believe Water Wetter and Royal Purple "Ice" also have the anticorrosive additive premixed. Don't know whether JB does though.

DT
Old 03-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Water is a better coolant than antifreeze but is not suitable for real world driving. 'Coolant' also raises the boil over temperature substantially.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:50 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Default There are specific additives for that..........

Try these:

1. Griot's Garage "Corrosion Inhibitor" (available on their web site)
2. Prestone "Super Radiator Anti Rust" (available at most auto parts stores)
3. Bar's Leaks anti rust and water pump lubricant (I can't remember the exact name, but it's NOT the same as the anti leak pellets) available at limited number of auto parts stores.

I've used them all. My preference is to use a 50/50 mix of water/antifreeze and the additive. Antifreeze doesn't wear out, it just uses up its additives and returns to its natural corrosive state. These additives neutralize that and prevent corrosion from old (or absent) antifreeze - (read that last to mean just water).

I have kept the same anti freeze in a system up to 10 years with no corrosion in clean system, when using one of these additives every year or two.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:52 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I was under the impression it would run cooler with straight water and little or no coolant.
It will run cooler with straight water and something like Water Wetter but you need the protection of a 50/50 mixture of anti freeze and distilled water. Some race cars run the straight water with water wetter but on a street driven car corrosion protection is more of a concern. If you're running too warm correcting the underlying problem would be more appropriate.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:53 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

That's true; it has better heat transfer characteristics. But, as Mike notes, the boiling point can also be an issue. A good pressure cap also raises the boiling point. I think it's a matter of choice depending on individual conditions.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:05 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

I like the plain old Green anti freeze. Look for low Phosphates and silicates. I like to change it out every 3-4 years. Antifreeze high in silicates and phosphates are hard on water pump seals. Old Anti freeze eats parts. Maybe the advertised additives keep this from happening but for 10 bucks in Antifreeze and 1 hours work I change it and don't worry. The new long life anti freeze had its own group of issues that I have avoided by not using it. Distilled water definately helps.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Maybe for a little while..........

The aluminum radiator, brass heater core, and water pump impeller will not be happy with pure water long term. Don't risk it. Use 50/50 G-05 or Prestone yellow/green for best long term protection. Buy premixed, or use distilled water for dilution.

Larry
Old 03-29-2012, 03:32 PM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm also in So Cal. I have been running antifreeze, usually Prestone, in a mixture of 1/3 antifreeze to 2/3 water (in other words, 33/67 instead of 50/50) in my cars for years and have had no cooling, overheating, or corrosion problems.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:19 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Thx guys..good info!
Old 03-29-2012, 06:51 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
You should be running a 50/50 mixture of Zerex g-05 and distilled water.

Jim
Big +1 on this....we have a huge calcium problem in the San Antonio aquifer....before I knew this it took out a $125 Weiand aluminum pump.......I got smart and went with 2 gallons of distilled and the rest straight antifreeze.....not before I had to flush the Rad though....

Wood Bleach (Oxylic Acid) and Baking Soda is the very components of Prestones now defunct 2 part flush kit....scrubbed the inside like new....also dropped mid summer temps by 10 degrees!

It's all about heat transfer baby!

Peace,
Jebby
Old 03-29-2012, 08:09 PM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Straight from Dewitt's warranty:

Radiators used without an adequate proportion of premium quality antifreeze coolant and distilled water are not covered by this warranty. DRI radiators require a correct proportion of quality coolant, which contains aluminum corrosion inhibitors in the formula and distilled water. All Corvette cooling systems must include a radiator pressure cap with the proper pressure rating.

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator non corrosive additive needed

Old 03-30-2012, 12:26 AM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by toms silver 60
Radiators used without an adequate proportion of premium quality antifreeze coolant and distilled water are not covered by this warranty. DRI radiators require a correct proportion of quality coolant, which contains aluminum corrosion inhibitors in the formula and distilled water. All Corvette cooling systems must include a radiator pressure cap with the proper pressure rating.
IMHO that says it all.

Seems like a lot of trouble and expense going for additives and water when you can get the BEST results with the factory recommended anti freeze.

A lot of people buy these additives when they have overheating issues. Hoping it will be miracle cure. When it's really a mechanical issue.

The snake oil salesmen are happy to oblige. Royal Purple comes to mind.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:57 AM
NOM61
Pro

Originally Posted by 1sttexan
IMHO that says it all.

Seems like a lot of trouble and expense going for additives and water when you can get the BEST results with the factory recommended anti freeze.

A lot of people buy these additives when they have overheating issues. Hoping it will be miracle cure. When it's really a mechanical issue.

The snake oil salesmen are happy to oblige. Royal Purple comes to mind.
Sorry, but I have to disagree.

The engines in these cars were designed by engineers to a spec and budget. The cooling system was the best they could design within the budget given them. Those engineers used a specific range of operating load and evironmental conditions. They did not design it to work perfectly under all possible loads and environmental conditions.
I remember being told by an engineering prof that anyone can build a bridge to carry a given load with unlimited budget, but it takes an engineer to build a bridge to carry the same load for half the cost.
I also remember seeing a lot of very late model cars on the side of the road overheated in the 70's on the Baker grade between LA and Vegas in July/August.
So your "mechanically perfect" engine was designed to run at approx. 170-190(?) degrees under steady state "base" load within a specific ambient temperature range. I have no idea what the actual spec was, but I would hazard that it was the mean temperature range of the lower 48 - something like 10-90 degrees?
Now fast forward and take this same engine and increase the specific output via the normal mods, increasing the thermal load on the cooling
system.
Add A/C to your C1, increasing the load and reducing the efficiency of the radiator due to the added condenser.
Now operate this vehicle at 115 degrees ambient temperature. Uphill.
With the A/C running, of course. Then drive in stop and go city traffic for a while.
No matter how "mechanically perfect" the cooling system and engine tune is, it was simply not designed to reject that amount of heat under those conditions.
So you can throw thousands into a custom radiator/cooling system beyond the off the shelf Dewitts or BeCool.
Or maybe you can get by with an off the shelf system and a little help from pure distilled water with the surface tension reduced by what you call "snake oil", which is simply solid chemistry at work. Lower surface tension = increased contact = improved heat transfer. Since the "snake oil" has the exact same corrosion additives as your "good ole" antifreeze, there is ZERO additional risk of damage/corrosion.
But perhaps you now have an engine that runs at 200 degrees instead of 220 under the above conditions. And since it never gets cold enough for long enough to freeze the coolant, you've lost nothing by ditching the antifreeze. You have however improved the efficiency since we all know that antifreeze is a less effecient heat transfer medium than pure water.
Would you do this in Michigan or anywhere with real winters? Of course not. But that doesn't mean you automatically discount it under all condtions.
Ok, I'll climb down off my soap box now and go back to living the Dupont motto.

DT
Old 03-30-2012, 02:48 AM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by NOM61
Sorry, but I have to disagree.

The engines in these cars were designed by engineers to a spec and budget. The cooling system was the best they could design within the budget given them. Those engineers used a specific range of operating load and evironmental conditions. They did not design it to work perfectly under all possible loads and environmental conditions.
I remember being told by an engineering prof that anyone can build a bridge to carry a given load with unlimited budget, but it takes an engineer to build a bridge to carry the same load for half the cost.
I also remember seeing a lot of very late model cars on the side of the road overheated in the 70's on the Baker grade between LA and Vegas in July/August.
So your "mechanically perfect" engine was designed to run at approx. 170-190(?) degrees under steady state "base" load within a specific ambient temperature range. I have no idea what the actual spec was, but I would hazard that it was the mean temperature range of the lower 48 - something like 10-90 degrees?
Now fast forward and take this same engine and increase the specific output via the normal mods, increasing the thermal load on the cooling
system.
Add A/C to your C1, increasing the load and reducing the efficiency of the radiator due to the added condenser.
Now operate this vehicle at 115 degrees ambient temperature. Uphill.
With the A/C running, of course. Then drive in stop and go city traffic for a while.
No matter how "mechanically perfect" the cooling system and engine tune is, it was simply not designed to reject that amount of heat under those conditions.
So you can throw thousands into a custom radiator/cooling system beyond the off the shelf Dewitts or BeCool.
Or maybe you can get by with an off the shelf system and a little help from pure distilled water with the surface tension reduced by what you call "snake oil", which is simply solid chemistry at work. Lower surface tension = increased contact = improved heat transfer. Since the "snake oil" has the exact same corrosion additives as your "good ole" antifreeze, there is ZERO additional risk of damage/corrosion.
But perhaps you now have an engine that runs at 200 degrees instead of 220 under the above conditions. And since it never gets cold enough for long enough to freeze the coolant, you've lost nothing by ditching the antifreeze. You have however improved the efficiency since we all know that antifreeze is a less effecient heat transfer medium than pure water.
Would you do this in Michigan or anywhere with real winters? Of course not. But that doesn't mean you automatically discount it under all condtions.
Ok, I'll climb down off my soap box now and go back to living the Dupont motto.

DT
Are you a salesman for any of the above mentioned products?

My anti freeze/coolant keeps my motor within proper operating conditions under very severe southern weather conditions.

My system is STOCK chevy, It does what it was designed to do. It cools and cools well.

I have a/c and sit in 100 degree Houston traffic. Never goes over 200.

In lessor weather, it sits right at the thermostat temp of 180.

At high speed it runs the same 180-190.

If yours doesn't run in this range? You have more than coolant issues.

Can your "snake oil" ("miracles in a bottle") improve on this? If so, how?

I stand by my statement.

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 03-30-2012 at 05:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Radiator non corrosive additive needed