C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1955 experts please look at photo's

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 07:28 PM
chlout
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1955 experts please look at photo's

This is the '55 I have been looking at. It was suggested I post photo's for opinions. The motor and trans are wrong, I think rear axle is right. Gauges are wrong. Body is straight, no signs of hits. The side curtains I believe are not the real deal. He has the radio and the correct steering wheel with horn ring (no center). The chrome is really decent just needs cleaned. He has the other radio ****. No engine shielding. Did not see any tell tale over spray under the dash in the vent area to indicate any other color. Doors have a little sag when opened. No jack or anything other than the spare in the trunk. Runs and drives and is currently licensed for the road.

Any and all opinions are appreciated. I can go back for more pictures if needed. Here is the link: http:www.flickr.com/photos/chlout/

Last edited by chlout; 04-23-2012 at 07:30 PM. Reason: left out photo link
Old 04-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Whats with the exta master cyl?
Deck lid has wrong top latches and 'extra' snaps for cabin cover.
Wrong generator.
Snaps on dash are wrong.
Snaps on doors.
Missing ehaust tip deflectors.
Vin tag should be screwed to post.
Power supply for radio?
Radio antenna? Should be under trunk lid.

How much?

Tyler
Old 04-23-2012, 08:22 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Wrong latch's on soft top lid, 56 or later rear end so the emergency brake cables has to be wrong, front bumpers are 56-57, it had a washer bag not bottle, wrong radiator, wrong wiper motor 56 up,wrong master cylinder,wrong generator ,wrong radiator shielding 57, steering wheel is from a CAR not Corvette, not original side windows some after market things, correct seats having the soft top lid rub on the top area,wrong gas cap$$, and many little thing not correct!

OK NOW! Are you sure your looking at a 55 body ??? Check the inner right fender that it's set back to clear the battery and that the rear inner fenders have baffles( but later 54 also has them) also the dash left side of the steering column has a choke hole besides the light switch, Check to see if the heater water lines (don't) go straight out the fire wall (55 dint) and most of all the vin tag is a later design 59 (repro) not a 55 tag. You better take some one that really knows 55 if you dont or I would PASS on it.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:11 PM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

You're correct on the side curtains--they're about $3000 short of being correct.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:03 AM
BJ Retired
Instructor

Default 55

Among the other things a 55 shouldn't have a hood pull on the passenger side. Be careful How much are they asking?
Old 04-24-2012, 10:21 AM
chlout
Intermediate

I am truly impressed by the knowledge all of you have on '55's. As much as I would love to park a '55 next to my '61, I don't think this is the one. Dealing with the wrong powertrain and gauges was one thing but adding all the other items on top of that is too much.

The asking price is 50K.

Thank you all again for your help!

Get notified of new replies

To 1955 experts please look at photo's

Quick Reply: 1955 experts please look at photo's