C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

283 2X4: Sudden Stalling And Loss of Power

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 02:24 PM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Pulling the tops off the carbs is a straight forward job as long as you don't drop anything and remember exactly how items are positioned. There should be no need to replace any gaskets if you're careful and lucky.

It would probably benefit you to directly communicate with some solid axle people in PA if you are not real confident about the task at hand. There are about 50 solid axle members listed in PA, but none in your home town. Recommend contacting Ron Dill and he could probably steer you in the right direction. He is listed as a contact for Mid Atlantlic Solid Axle Corvette Club (MASACC.org)
Old 04-17-2012, 03:39 PM
DEBrahms
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

LOts of good information here, guys. Thank you.

I'll have to do some research about WCFB disassembly/reassembly. What's not hard for you guys may well be a cluster-freak for me.

Dave
Old 04-17-2012, 05:23 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

If I haven't already supplied you the 2x4 manual you can PM me your email address and I'll ship it off to you...it's too big to post here.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:56 PM
DEBrahms
Racer

PM sent, Frankie. Thanks.

Dave
Old 04-18-2012, 04:56 PM
DEBrahms
Racer

Default Fixed!

Bad plug(s). No carb intrusion necessary, thankfully.

I thought it was carb/fuel-related and was ready to do carb surgery, which scared the heck outta me, even after Frankie generously sent me the Carter WCFB service manual. However, I fired her up before I started working on anything, felt the shaking, and my gut said, "Bad plug, Dave," even though I said before here that I didn't think it was related to spark. It felt like the bad plugs I've had from distant decades, with my '68 Plymouth and my Dad's old '59 Chevy 283. So, my gut was right. I pulled all the plugs and found that they were dirty and had the wrong gap: .040. I cleaned 'em up, regapped 'em to .035, and put 'em back in. It took forever because of the ignition shielding and awkward access on some, but I took my time and said amazingly few bad words.

Once I got everything back in, I turned the key and she started quicker and easier than ever and ran smooth. I took her out for a romp and she was so happy with her rejuvenated plugs that she ran more powerful than ever. No stalling and lotsa torque. Mission accomplished.

I want to thank all you guys for all your fast responses and wisdom. This is a great community and I like knowing that you're all here to help rookies like me.

This was actually an Occam's Razor deal. Ever heard of that? Here's one definition: "It is a principle urging one to select among competing hypotheses that which makes the fewest assumptions and thereby offers the simplest explanation of the effect."

I attacked the simplest possibility first (aided by my gut). I've screwed up too many things in my life by not considering the easiest/obvious solutions. Think computers, email. etc. So, that's my happy ending.

Thanks again, guys.

Dave
Old 04-18-2012, 05:22 PM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Glad it's back to running smooth for now. If you left your shielding off as suggested it would be easier to check out any future malfunctions.

If your plugs were fouled, a complete tuneup with new parts and wires may not be a bad idea.....An offer of free Yuengling might bring you all kinds of assistance
Old 04-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Well that's a nice outcome then...if you had dove into the dual quads, torn them down and fiddled around inside and put them back on and then still had the problem.

Well, let's just say I've seen grown men cry over less.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:41 PM
DEBrahms
Racer

Yeah, Frankie, I might have done more than cry. :-(

By the way, I've read that 2X4s can stall out when making sharp turns. Turning which way? What causes the stalling?

Dave
Old 04-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by DEBrahms
Yeah, Frankie, I might have done more than cry. :-(

By the way, I've read that 2X4s can stall out when making sharp turns. Turning which way? What causes the stalling?

Dave
Here is the service bulletin on the topic. If you do NOT have this problem then chalk it up to good luck and leave things alone!

Second attachment shows the 'fix' in my carb...a short tube tapped into the carb body...it works...
Attached Images  
Attached Images
Old 04-18-2012, 09:04 PM
DEBrahms
Racer

Great info, Frankie. Thanks.

I experienced this on my test run this afternoon. Thought that my stalling problem was back, but I had just made a fast 90-degree left turn and came to a stop sign. I think I'll just be a little more careful on left turns now that I know this. I want to avoid carb surgery at all costs.

Dave
Old 04-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I've experienced it too...its a little gut-wrenching at first. Taking it a little easy on the sharp lefts (especially uphill) avoids the issue...
Old 04-18-2012, 09:16 PM
DEBrahms
Racer

Gotta love accommodating these C1 peculiarities. Kinda like dating older women. :-)

Dave

Quick Reply: 283 2X4: Sudden Stalling And Loss of Power